[Fwd: Mac OS X Support for Autotrace]

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
    • Adrian Simmons
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
        >I am attempting to compile and execute Autotrace on a Macintosh
        >running Mac OS X. Is there anything I should know about before
        >entering upon this fools journey?
        Well, just be aware that Autotrace depends on other
        library's/applications for much of it's input/output functionality.
        Unless you also compile and install those first Autotrace will be
        limited in it's capabilities.

        Haven't got round to compiling Autotrace 0.29 on OS X 10.1 yet - in
        fact I think I'm gonna try it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

        --
        Adrian

        e-mail <mailto:adrian@...>
        Web Site <http://www.cubitum.co.uk>
        NS/AOL Instant Message ID <adrianatcubitum>
      • Adrian Simmons
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
          Ok, I now have Autotrace working on OS X.

          I use Fink to install a lot of open source/gnu/*nix software:
          <http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/index.php>

          One thing I have installed with this is libpng (I'm also in the
          process of installing ImageMagik with Fink, I'll recompile
          --with-magick when that's done).

          So having done:
          gnutar xvzf autotrace-0.29.tar.gz
          cd autotrace-0.29

          I did this to make sure ./configure found libpng and its headers:
          setenv CFLAGS "-I/sw/include"
          setenv LDFLAGS "-L/sw/lib"

          then ran configure (Darwin - the BSD part of OS X - puts its man
          files in /usr/share):
          ./configure --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --without-magick

          Quick test with a simple png (several black squares and an oval on a
          white background), and output to pdf worked fine - with the exception
          that Apple's 'Preview' didn't show the PDF correctly, although
          Adobe's Acrobat Reader 5 for OS X worked perfectly.

          HTH someone

          This makes me want to play with Applescript studio, see if I can't
          make a little app that runs Autotrace and previews the results as a
          pdf...

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
            oops.

            In my last post neglected to say that /sw is where fink installs
            everything, not the usual /usr hierarchy. And of course that I did
            'make' after ./configure....

            It's late here.