Re: AutoTrace

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
      Dear Wladimir,

      sorry also next version will contain this bug. I'll try to fix the problem with
      the gaps but it will take a long time because large parts of the code have to be
      rearranged. It is also my aim to remove this since a long time but I wasn't able
      yet. I also send this message to the AutoTrace mailing list, because it would be
      possible that someone who has currently more time will fix this.

      Martin

      Vladimir Voskresensky schrieb:

      > Dear Martin,
      >
      > I'm very glad to see your wonderful application.
      > I'm student of St-Petersburg State University, Russia, and AutoTrace is very
      > useful for my Ph.D. thesis...
      > Could you help me?
      >
      > Attached you find original bmp file and some screenshots with problem
      > places:
      > - SFXX200_24b.bmp - original file to trace
      > - Screenshot of one place of raster file - OriginalWOGaps.bmp (no problem
      > before tracing)
      > - Screenshot of result *.emf file - BadResult.bmp (created with version
      > 0.27a and option -error-threshold= 10e-5):
      > o As you can see originally neighbor domains now a not connected with common
      > edges (white gaps between them).
      > o I understand that question "Why?" is strange, because it gives a lot of
      > trouble while describing, but, please, help me how to prevent such
      > situations, if it is possible to prevent.
      >
      > Best regards, Vladimir.

      > Name: Pics.zip
      > Pics.zip Type: Zip Compressed Data (application/x-zip-compressed)
      > Encoding: base64
    • nj3h
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18 5:58 AM
        Greetings,

        I hope someone can help me.

        I was told about the AutoTrace program by the creator of Jigs@w
        Puzzles 2 at Tibosoftware.com. They used AutoTrace to create an emf
        file that broke a picture of a porsche into pieces very different
        from a normal jigsaw puzzle. The pieces looked more like pieces from
        a plastic car model I used to glue together as a kid. Please take a
        look at the sample puzzle at http://www.tibosoftware.com/jigsaw-
        puzzle-free.htm Download the samples and play the puzzle mentioned
        below.

        The particular puzzle to open is the one called "surprise puzzle".
        Anyway, I would like to know how to create such a puzzle. I don't
        know how to upload the porsche.jpg file, but anyone that can help,
        please email me and I will send you the file immediately. One option
        in JP2, is to create puzzles using vector templates in emf format.

        However, the main problem I am having is I cannot get AutoTrace to
        even run. Martin sent me a zip file. There was no install program
        with it. I double clicked on AutoTrace.exe and I get a small black
        screen that then disappears. I am running Win 98SE.

        I tried Open Office Draw. When I creat a emf file, I get too many
        little pieces. I edited the file to eliminate the microscopic pieces
        in Paint Shop Pro and saved as a bmp, and then opened the file in
        Open Office Draw and converted to vector and saved as an emf. JP2
        did not recognize the emf file when I did this. Interestingly
        enough, JP2 did use the emf file when I didn't go through the Paint
        Shop Pro steps above with emf files saved in Open Office Draw. One
        other thing, JP2, in the puzzle create mode, will try to limit the
        number of microscopic pieces, but I could not produce a puzzle like
        the sample I mentioned above.

        A trial of JP2 can be downloaded and tried for free. In the create
        puzzle mode, go to advanced mode to get to the screens where you can
        use templates.

        Therefore my request is:
        1. Please help me to get AutoTracem up and running. What else do I
        need to do? Does anyone have a step by step installation procedure
        that may work?
        2. A short tutorial on how to create puzzles like the Porsche puzzle,
        that shows the settings required.

        I appreciate any help that can be provided.

        Regards,
        George
        nj3h@...