Re: [AutoTrace] Autotrace - dxf output

  • James Lehman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
      I have just spent a fair amount of time working on both DXF input and output
      for my laser vector art application, LaserBoy. It can read a reasonable
      subset of DXF entities {LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, ELLIPSE, POLYLINE, LWPOLYLINE and
      TEXT} and it can write DXF in the form of LINE and POLYLINE. The reason it
      only writes LINE and POLYLINE is because all laser vector art can be
      expressed as only these things. I would guess that AutoTrace is similar in
      this regard.

      I can take a look at your project. I can't promise anything, because I have
      not seen it yet. But I'll try to help.

      I found this document to be very helpful.
      http://www.autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/index.htm

      This is my project.
      http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy

      Take care. James. :o)

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
        Thanks for your replies. One problem of the dxf output how the cubic
        splines should be handled. The current solution is not very good, so if
        you have a good idea, it would be great if the cubic splines will not
        be converted to a set of lines but to the dxf splines that are in the
        dxf format since version 13 o 14 I think.
        By the way AutoTrace works readiliy also under MacOS. I never tried it
        myself as I do not have a Mac but I was told by others.

        Greetings