Re: [AutoTrace] Autotrace - dxf output

  • Lawrence Morrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
      Thanks man, I do have info on Dxf. Are you developing. auto trace to
      be mac compatible?

      http://www.autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/dxf_format.htm

      http://www.faqs.org/faqs/graphics/fileformats-faq/part3/section-45.html

      for a start.

      Jerry

      On Oct 22, 2006, at 11:27 AM, Martin Weber wrote:

      > I am the maintainer and programmer of AutoTrace. A very long time I
      > was not able to develope AutoTrace any further because of lack of
      > time. No I plan to proceed. One thing I would like to fix is the
      > dxf output filter but I do not have enogh knowledge about this
      > format. Can anyone of you help to fix it?
      >
      > Greetings
      > Martin
      > --

    • James Lehman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
        I have just spent a fair amount of time working on both DXF input and output
        for my laser vector art application, LaserBoy. It can read a reasonable
        subset of DXF entities {LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, ELLIPSE, POLYLINE, LWPOLYLINE and
        TEXT} and it can write DXF in the form of LINE and POLYLINE. The reason it
        only writes LINE and POLYLINE is because all laser vector art can be
        expressed as only these things. I would guess that AutoTrace is similar in
        this regard.

        I can take a look at your project. I can't promise anything, because I have
        not seen it yet. But I'll try to help.

        I found this document to be very helpful.
        http://www.autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/index.htm

        This is my project.
        http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy

        Take care. James. :o)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
          Thanks for your replies. One problem of the dxf output how the cubic
          splines should be handled. The current solution is not very good, so if
          you have a good idea, it would be great if the cubic splines will not
          be converted to a set of lines but to the dxf splines that are in the
          dxf format since version 13 o 14 I think.
          By the way AutoTrace works readiliy also under MacOS. I never tried it
          myself as I do not have a Mac but I was told by others.

          Greetings