AutoTrace

    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2000
      1. I need implementations of the following or similar algorithms. Can
      anyone help?
      http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/hobby/pubs.html
      Smoothing Digitized Contours
      Easy to Compute Interpolating Splines
      Polygonal Approximations that Minimize the Number of Inflections

      2. How to convert outlines efficiently to polygons. This is needed for
      example for some OCR methods. Who has an efficient implementation?

      3. I have to trace contours in images to get a list of the outline pixels.
      Who has a more efficient implementation?

      4. I need color quantization using local K-means ins sourcecode. Can
      anyone help.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20, 2001
        Soon AutoTrace 0.27 will be released. So if you have new code, please send
        it to me.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2001
          Are there one who know well about deb and/or rpm?
          I'd like you to write pkgwriteinfo.in for autotrace.
          Then we can generate something like
          autotrace-0.27-i386.deb and/or autotrace-0.27-ppc???.rpm.

          See, http://www.ffem.org/daveb/pkgwrite/
        • OlegOlegarch Konovalov
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2001
            I know the structure of RPM spec file & can write it ;)

            --
            ---------| Oleg "Olegarch" Konovalov <olegarch@...> |---------

            mialto:olegarch@...
            ICQ:47715959
            http://olegarch.newmail.ru/
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
              Dear Wladimir,

              sorry also next version will contain this bug. I'll try to fix the problem with
              the gaps but it will take a long time because large parts of the code have to be
              rearranged. It is also my aim to remove this since a long time but I wasn't able
              yet. I also send this message to the AutoTrace mailing list, because it would be
              possible that someone who has currently more time will fix this.

              Martin

              Vladimir Voskresensky schrieb:

              > Dear Martin,
              >
              > I'm very glad to see your wonderful application.
              > I'm student of St-Petersburg State University, Russia, and AutoTrace is very
              > useful for my Ph.D. thesis...
              > Could you help me?
              >
              > Attached you find original bmp file and some screenshots with problem
              > places:
              > - SFXX200_24b.bmp - original file to trace
              > - Screenshot of one place of raster file - OriginalWOGaps.bmp (no problem
              > before tracing)
              > - Screenshot of result *.emf file - BadResult.bmp (created with version
              > 0.27a and option -error-threshold= 10e-5):
              > o As you can see originally neighbor domains now a not connected with common
              > edges (white gaps between them).
              > o I understand that question "Why?" is strange, because it gives a lot of
              > trouble while describing, but, please, help me how to prevent such
              > situations, if it is possible to prevent.
              >
              > Best regards, Vladimir.

              > Name: Pics.zip
              > Pics.zip Type: Zip Compressed Data (application/x-zip-compressed)
              > Encoding: base64
            • nj3h
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 18, 2008
                Greetings,

                I hope someone can help me.

                I was told about the AutoTrace program by the creator of Jigs@w
                Puzzles 2 at Tibosoftware.com. They used AutoTrace to create an emf
                file that broke a picture of a porsche into pieces very different
                from a normal jigsaw puzzle. The pieces looked more like pieces from
                a plastic car model I used to glue together as a kid. Please take a
                look at the sample puzzle at http://www.tibosoftware.com/jigsaw-
                puzzle-free.htm Download the samples and play the puzzle mentioned
                below.

                The particular puzzle to open is the one called "surprise puzzle".
                Anyway, I would like to know how to create such a puzzle. I don't
                know how to upload the porsche.jpg file, but anyone that can help,
                please email me and I will send you the file immediately. One option
                in JP2, is to create puzzles using vector templates in emf format.

                However, the main problem I am having is I cannot get AutoTrace to
                even run. Martin sent me a zip file. There was no install program
                with it. I double clicked on AutoTrace.exe and I get a small black
                screen that then disappears. I am running Win 98SE.

                I tried Open Office Draw. When I creat a emf file, I get too many
                little pieces. I edited the file to eliminate the microscopic pieces
                in Paint Shop Pro and saved as a bmp, and then opened the file in
                Open Office Draw and converted to vector and saved as an emf. JP2
                did not recognize the emf file when I did this. Interestingly
                enough, JP2 did use the emf file when I didn't go through the Paint
                Shop Pro steps above with emf files saved in Open Office Draw. One
                other thing, JP2, in the puzzle create mode, will try to limit the
                number of microscopic pieces, but I could not produce a puzzle like
                the sample I mentioned above.

                A trial of JP2 can be downloaded and tried for free. In the create
                puzzle mode, go to advanced mode to get to the screens where you can
                use templates.

                Therefore my request is:
                1. Please help me to get AutoTracem up and running. What else do I
                need to do? Does anyone have a step by step installation procedure
                that may work?
                2. A short tutorial on how to create puzzles like the Porsche puzzle,
                that shows the settings required.

                I appreciate any help that can be provided.

                Regards,
                George
                nj3h@...