Re: [AutoTrace] Re: how can i install autotrace?

  • Markus Meyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2003
      Am Don, den 16.10.2003 schrieb fabio_abc um 14:27:
      > Thank you! So i have to work in ms-dos prompt?

      Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to Autotrace
      called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net). There is
      also a new Java program called "delineate" (http://delineate.sf.net),
      which may run on Windows (I haven't tried this yet).

      Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though. Just
      enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list of options.
      To convert a file, use a syntax like:

      autotrace -output-file test.pdf -output-format pdf test.bmp

      Whereas test.bmp is your input file and test.pdf is the output file
      produced.

      Hope that helps you get started...

      Markus

      > --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, Alex Galakhov <avg6f4@u...> wrote:
      > > Autotrace is a command-line program. It doesn't open any windows
      > at all. You
      > > have to enter some information on the command line to get it
      > working, like
      > > one does in DOS or UNIX.
      > >
      > > On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:54 pm, fabio_abc wrote:
      > > > hi, i'm from italy. i've downloaded the "autotrace-0.31.1-w32"
      > zip
      > > > file and unzipped it. now if i use autotrace.exe the program
      > doesn't
      > > > open. where is the problem? i work with windows xp. THANK U!!!
      > fabio

    • rob_m_mckinnon
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 20, 2003
        --- Markus Meyer wrote:
        > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
        > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list
        > of options.

        AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be difficult
        to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on the
        output.

        > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to Autotrace
        > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).

        Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
        Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
        incompatible version of the libxml library.

        > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
        > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows
        > (I haven't tried this yet).

        Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
        AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
        http://java.sun.com/

        Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X,
        so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
        on RH8.0 and Windows XP.

        Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
        have any feedback, please let me know.

        Rob
      • xk897
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          Rob,

          I have autotrace and delineate installed in their own directories, and
          java 1.4.1 has been installed and working for a long time. System is
          Win98SE.

          When I run the delinate batch file all I get is a DOS windoe that says
          'OFF' and the program ends.

          I'd appreciate a push in the right direction.

          Thanks.

          --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, "rob_m_mckinnon" <rob_m_mckinnon@y..
          .> wrote:
          > --- Markus Meyer wrote:
          > > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
          > > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list
          > > of options.
          >
          > AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be
          difficult
          > to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on
          the
          > output.
          >
          > > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to
          Autotrace
          > > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).
          >
          > Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
          > Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
          > incompatible version of the libxml library.
          >
          > > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
          > > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows
          > > (I haven't tried this yet).
          >
          > Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
          > AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
          > http://java.sun.com/
          >
          > Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS
          X,
          > so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
          > on RH8.0 and Windows XP.
          >
          > Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
          > have any feedback, please let me know.
          >
          > Rob
        • Barry Patterson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            I couldn't get Deliniate working using the .BAT file for DOS/WINDOWS.
            I did get it to work using the .SH file with CYGWIN (Linux emulation)

            .> wrote:
            > --- Markus Meyer wrote:
            > > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
            > > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list of
            > > options.
            >
            > AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be
            difficult
            > to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on
            the
            > output.
            >
            > > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to
            Autotrace
            > > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).
            >
            > Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
            > Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
            > incompatible version of the libxml library.
            >
            > > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
            > > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows (I haven't tried
            > > this yet).
            >
            > Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
            > AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
            > http://java.sun.com/
            >
            > Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS
            X,
            > so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
            > on RH8.0 and Windows XP.
            >
            > Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
            > have any feedback, please let me know.
            >
            > Rob

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/_iFolB/TM
          • xk897
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              Barry,

              I'm not familair with cygwin. I found and downloaded it - Is it a
              simple 'install and use', or am I going to have to learn linux to get
              it working?

              I'm looking forward to using autotrace & potrace - I hope it all
              eventually works.

              Thanks for the tip.

              Bill

              --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Patterson" <junkman@m...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                I just took some time and played with the Windows .BAT file for Delineate
                (GUI for POTRACE & Autotrace). I got it to work by using the following in
                the .bat file:

                REM -------delineate.bat-----------
                cd \
                cd C:\{PATH}\delineate\0.5
                javaw -jar .\delineate.jar .\settings\parameters-autotrace.xml
                .\settings\parameters-potrace.xml
                REM -------delineate.bat-----------

                Note that I removed the START ... That was in the original.
                I also changed the /'s to \'s

                That javaw is VERY picky about paths it seems.

                wrote:
                > I couldn't get Deliniate working using the .BAT file for
                DOS/WINDOWS.
                > I did get it to work using the .SH file with CYGWIN (Linux
                emulation)

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/_iFolB/TM
              • Barry Patterson
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                  We have someone doing Calligraphy type stuff for us and scanning it in.
                  There might be slight indentions/bumps in the text. Are there any settings
                  to tweak that might help iron these out?

                  The text is mainly large sweeping curves, like a fancy handwriting.
                • Barry Patterson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
                    FYI: It looks like the 'corner surround' value is what I was looking for!
                    The output was amazing once I bumped that number over to maximum. It was
                    originally at like 2.