Re: how can i install autotrace?

  • fabio_abc
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2003
      Thank you! So i have to work in ms-dos prompt?

      --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, Alex Galakhov <avg6f4@u...> wrote:
      > Autotrace is a command-line program. It doesn't open any windows
      at all. You
      > have to enter some information on the command line to get it
      working, like
      > one does in DOS or UNIX.
      >
      > On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:54 pm, fabio_abc wrote:
      > > hi, i'm from italy. i've downloaded the "autotrace-0.31.1-w32"
      zip
      > > file and unzipped it. now if i use autotrace.exe the program
      doesn't
      > > open. where is the problem? i work with windows xp. THANK U!!!
      fabio
    • Markus Meyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 16, 2003
        Am Don, den 16.10.2003 schrieb fabio_abc um 14:27:
        > Thank you! So i have to work in ms-dos prompt?

        Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to Autotrace
        called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net). There is
        also a new Java program called "delineate" (http://delineate.sf.net),
        which may run on Windows (I haven't tried this yet).

        Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though. Just
        enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list of options.
        To convert a file, use a syntax like:

        autotrace -output-file test.pdf -output-format pdf test.bmp

        Whereas test.bmp is your input file and test.pdf is the output file
        produced.

        Hope that helps you get started...

        Markus

        > --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, Alex Galakhov <avg6f4@u...> wrote:
        > > Autotrace is a command-line program. It doesn't open any windows
        > at all. You
        > > have to enter some information on the command line to get it
        > working, like
        > > one does in DOS or UNIX.
        > >
        > > On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:54 pm, fabio_abc wrote:
        > > > hi, i'm from italy. i've downloaded the "autotrace-0.31.1-w32"
        > zip
        > > > file and unzipped it. now if i use autotrace.exe the program
        > doesn't
        > > > open. where is the problem? i work with windows xp. THANK U!!!
        > fabio

      • rob_m_mckinnon
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 20, 2003
          --- Markus Meyer wrote:
          > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
          > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list
          > of options.

          AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be difficult
          to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on the
          output.

          > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to Autotrace
          > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).

          Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
          Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
          incompatible version of the libxml library.

          > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
          > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows
          > (I haven't tried this yet).

          Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
          AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
          http://java.sun.com/

          Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X,
          so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
          on RH8.0 and Windows XP.

          Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
          have any feedback, please let me know.

          Rob
        • xk897
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
            Rob,

            I have autotrace and delineate installed in their own directories, and
            java 1.4.1 has been installed and working for a long time. System is
            Win98SE.

            When I run the delinate batch file all I get is a DOS windoe that says
            'OFF' and the program ends.

            I'd appreciate a push in the right direction.

            Thanks.

            --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, "rob_m_mckinnon" <rob_m_mckinnon@y..
            .> wrote:
            > --- Markus Meyer wrote:
            > > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
            > > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list
            > > of options.
            >
            > AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be
            difficult
            > to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on
            the
            > output.
            >
            > > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to
            Autotrace
            > > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).
            >
            > Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
            > Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
            > incompatible version of the libxml library.
            >
            > > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
            > > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows
            > > (I haven't tried this yet).
            >
            > Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
            > AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
            > http://java.sun.com/
            >
            > Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS
            X,
            > so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
            > on RH8.0 and Windows XP.
            >
            > Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
            > have any feedback, please let me know.
            >
            > Rob
          • Barry Patterson
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
              I couldn't get Deliniate working using the .BAT file for DOS/WINDOWS.
              I did get it to work using the .SH file with CYGWIN (Linux emulation)

              .> wrote:
              > --- Markus Meyer wrote:
              > > Using autotrace from the command line isn't too difficult, though.
              > > Just enter "autotrace -help" on the command prompt to see a list of
              > > options.
              >
              > AutoTrace has many options. From the command line it can be
              difficult
              > to quickly experiment with different options to see the effect on
              the
              > output.
              >
              > > Depends. For Linux, there is a graphical user interface to
              Autotrace
              > > called "frontline" (download it from http://autotrace.sf.net).
              >
              > Part of the reason I wrote Delineate was because I couldn't install
              > Frontline because my GNU/Linux distribution (RH8.0) had an
              > incompatible version of the libxml library.
              >
              > > There is also a new Java program called "delineate"
              > > (http://delineate.sf.net), which may run on Windows (I haven't tried
              > > this yet).
              >
              > Delineate is designed specifically for generating SVG output using
              > AutoTrace. It requires Java J2SE 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 to run:
              > http://java.sun.com/
              >
              > Java J2SE versions are available for Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS
              X,
              > so Delineate can run on any of these platforms. I personally test it
              > on RH8.0 and Windows XP.
              >
              > Fabio, if you want a GUI for AutoTrace, give Delineate a try. If you
              > have any feedback, please let me know.
              >
              > Rob

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/_iFolB/TM
            • xk897
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                Barry,

                I'm not familair with cygwin. I found and downloaded it - Is it a
                simple 'install and use', or am I going to have to learn linux to get
                it working?

                I'm looking forward to using autotrace & potrace - I hope it all
                eventually works.

                Thanks for the tip.

                Bill

                --- In autotrace@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Patterson" <junkman@m...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                  I just took some time and played with the Windows .BAT file for Delineate
                  (GUI for POTRACE & Autotrace). I got it to work by using the following in
                  the .bat file:

                  REM -------delineate.bat-----------
                  cd \
                  cd C:\{PATH}\delineate\0.5
                  javaw -jar .\delineate.jar .\settings\parameters-autotrace.xml
                  .\settings\parameters-potrace.xml
                  REM -------delineate.bat-----------

                  Note that I removed the START ... That was in the original.
                  I also changed the /'s to \'s

                  That javaw is VERY picky about paths it seems.

                  wrote:
                  > I couldn't get Deliniate working using the .BAT file for
                  DOS/WINDOWS.
                  > I did get it to work using the .SH file with CYGWIN (Linux
                  emulation)

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/_iFolB/TM
                • Barry Patterson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2004
                    We have someone doing Calligraphy type stuff for us and scanning it in.
                    There might be slight indentions/bumps in the text. Are there any settings
                    to tweak that might help iron these out?

                    The text is mainly large sweeping curves, like a fancy handwriting.
                  • Barry Patterson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
                      FYI: It looks like the 'corner surround' value is what I was looking for!
                      The output was amazing once I bumped that number over to maximum. It was
                      originally at like 2.