Info!!

  • M.Shoaib Khan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hello!!
      I am new to this list. I was looking for some opensource Raster
      to vector converter and i find this. It is Kool. May i know how many people
      are there on this list and whether it is active or not?? i wanna know about
      internals of Autotrace and may be contribute to it. Can anybody plz tell me
      what technique does autotrace uses for this conversion. How does it
      represent objects??lines, curves or any splines?? plz help me in this
      regard.

      Thanks
      Shoaib

      Scanned by MailScan Anti-Virus and Content Security Software.
      Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        Hi,

        > I am new to this list. I was looking for some opensource Raster
        > to vector converter and i find this. It is Kool. May i know how many people
        > are there on this list and whether it is active or not?? i wanna know about
        > internals of Autotrace and may be contribute to it. Can anybody plz tell me
        > what technique does autotrace uses for this conversion. How does it
        > represent objects??lines, curves or any splines?? plz help me in this
        > regard.

        Not active. Simply to say, only source code is available.

        Martin Weber, the author of autotrace, is on the list. He may know well about
        the algorithm used in autotrace.

        I, Masatake YAMATO, am trying to reorganize the source code now. But I don't
        have much time, so the progress is very slow.

        autotrace.h is good place to start to know autotrace.

        Do grep with follwoing enums.
        /* Third degree is the highest we deal with. */
        enum _at_polynomial_degree
        {
        AT_LINEARTYPE = 1,
        AT_QUADRATICTYPE = 2,
        AT_CUBICTYPE = 3,
        AT_PARALLELELLIPSETYPE = 4,
        AT_ELLIPSETYPE = 5,
        AT_CIRCLETYPE = 6
        /* not the real number of points to define a
        circle but to distinguish between a cubic spline */
        };

        If you want to improve autotrace, tell me. I'll setup your write-access
        to our CVS repository.

        Masatake YAMATO
      • Alex Galakhov
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          The general idea is as follows:

          1. The code pre-cleans (despeckles) the picture.
          2. The contour-finding procedure searches the color gradients.
          3. Knees are removed, corners are found.
          4. Smoothing. The sets of points are converted to splines.
          5. Some splines are replaced with straight lines.