[autismlist] No Subject

  • Terri Hopper
    Message 1 of 89 , Oct 30, 1998

      Terri

    • Rose Alford
      Message 89 of 89 , Aug 9, 2006
        NO there is no cutoff age to get a diagnosis of autism, particuarly the Asperger's type.  Many older people who have ASD were given the wrong diagnosis in the past if any.

        Rose

        Steven <abilityfoundation@...> wrote:
        While it is desirable to get a diagnosis as early as possible, is
        there a cut-off age for diagnosing autism?

        Steve
        :-D

        --- In autismlist@yahoogro ups.com, "Janna Hoskin" <janna12547@ ...> wrote:

        > I got this message privately:
        >
        > >>From: BLaman5@...
        > >>Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:00:52 EST
        > >>To: janna12547@. ..
        > >>Subject: Re: [autismlist] Re: Misconceptions about Autism
        > >>
        > >>I heard also that Donna williams is not autistic. Her diagnoses was
        > made in adulthood. Technically, no one can receive the diagnoses of
        > autism unless they receive it before the age of three.<<
        >
        > I responded:
        >
        > >Actually, it's before the age of seven that the syndrome usually sets
        > in, isn't it? And Donna Williams wasn't diagnosed until she was an
        > adult because she didn't have opportunity to be diagnosed at all until
        > then. That doesn't mean she wasn't autistic when she was little; her
        > inner life when she was small was not really all that different from
        her
        > inner life as an adult.<
        >
        > Does anyone have any comments? Was I right? Was the person who wrote
        > me right? Are we both right? I'm so confused! *grins*
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > :)
        > -Janna
        >
        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* **
        > "When I'm in eternity with you, I will dance and sing my
        > song. When I'm in eternity with you, I will jump and shout
        > your name; I will be free!"
        > (Bethany Vanderputten & Sharon Blevings, ? 1997)
        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* **
        > http://www.angelfir e.com/me/ jlhoskin
        > --my home site, which talks about me!
        > http://www.geocitie s.com/Heartland/ Valley/9904
        > --my other home site, where I have cool stuff!
        > http://www.geocitie s.com/Heartland/ Estates/8973
        > --the official St. James Youth site!

        > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups. com

        Do you Yahoo!?