Re: 14 year-old today in the United States being described as "noncommunicative"

  • Arthur Golden
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
      With feelings of great disappointment, I wish to report to the
      members of autismfc that Dr. Steven Novella has not yet replied to my
      comments posted on his blog over two days ago about a 14 year-old
      today in the United States being described as "noncommunicative."

      I do not wish to make a nuisance of myself, so I will not keep
      reminding him that he has yet to reply. I do wish to remark here
      that while his description of a 14 year-old today in the United
      States being described as "noncommunicative" may sound reasonable to
      the uninformed general public, in his professional role as a
      neurologist he should know better. On the other hand, among the many
      professionals that were seen by son Ben, I would say that
      neurologists were the least helpful. Of course, if Ben was found to
      have a seizure disorder (which thank Heavens he does not seem to have
      ever had) or some other specific brain disorder, I would assume that
      a neurologist would be helpful and therefore it was prudent to
      arrange for neurologists to regularly examine him.

      Maybe a neurologist should not be expected to know about language
      development, but if he is ignorant on this subject that he should not
      express any opinion. But Dr. Novella (MD) seems to be like many
      medical doctors and I doubt I can get him to admit to any ignorance.
      Fortunately, the last neurologist that Ben saw, when he was an adult
      here in Israel, has a proper respect for persons with autism, even
      though he could offer any help based on his specialty.

      Art

      --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Golden" <golden@...> wrote
      over 29 hours ago:

      > I just posted the following to the blog of neurologist
      > Dr. Steven Novella at
      > http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=212 :
      >
      > Dear Dr. Novella,
      >
      > It is over 24 hours since I asked you to explain your statements
      > about a 14 year-old in the United States being "noncommunicative."
      >
      > I still await your reply.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Arthur Golden of Jerusalem Israel
      >

      > --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Golden" wrote a full day
      before that - original message can be accessed at:
    • Tom Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
        I hope there's not too many neurologists as unscientific or clueless as
        Dr Novella! I mean it's OK to be clueless on the subject of autism,
        but one shouldn't post on it as a neurologist with so little info or
        insight. There's no excuse however for his bias or lack of scientific
        acumen.

        I found the pediatricians to be another group who jumped on FC too
        energetically which would indicate not a scientific assessment, but one
        with an eye on political and cultural agendas.

        Tom

        --- Arthur Golden <golden@...> wrote:

        > With feelings of great disappointment, I wish to report to the
        > members of autismfc that Dr. Steven Novella has not yet replied to my
        >
        > comments posted on his blog over two days ago about a 14 year-old
        > today in the United States being described as "noncommunicative."
        >
        > I do not wish to make a nuisance of myself, so I will not keep
        > reminding him that he has yet to reply. I do wish to remark here
        > that while his description of a 14 year-old today in the United
        > States being described as "noncommunicative" may sound reasonable to
        > the uninformed general public, in his professional role as a
        > neurologist he should know better. On the other hand, among the many
        >
        > professionals that were seen by son Ben, I would say that
        > neurologists were the least helpful. Of course, if Ben was found to
        > have a seizure disorder (which thank Heavens he does not seem to have
        >
        > ever had) or some other specific brain disorder, I would assume that
        > a neurologist would be helpful and therefore it was prudent to
        > arrange for neurologists to regularly examine him.
        >
        > Maybe a neurologist should not be expected to know about language
        > development, but if he is ignorant on this subject that he should not
        >
        > express any opinion. But Dr. Novella (MD) seems to be like many
        > medical doctors and I doubt I can get him to admit to any ignorance.
        >
        > Fortunately, the last neurologist that Ben saw, when he was an adult
        > here in Israel, has a proper respect for persons with autism, even
        > though he could offer any help based on his specialty.
        >
        > Art
        >
        > --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Golden" <golden@...> wrote
        > over 29 hours ago:
        > >
        > > I just posted the following to the blog of neurologist
        > > Dr. Steven Novella at
        > > http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=212 :
        > >
        > > Dear Dr. Novella,
        > >
        > > It is over 24 hours since I asked you to explain your statements
        > > about a 14 year-old in the United States being "noncommunicative."
        > >
        > > I still await your reply.
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > >
        > > Arthur Golden of Jerusalem Israel
        > >

        > > --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Golden" wrote a full day
        > before that - original message can be accessed at:

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Arthur Golden
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
          Dr. Novella finally responded with the following but I am ready to go
          to bed - any ideas of how to reply from the rest of this autismfc
          list would be appreciated:

          Steven Novella on 26 Mar 2008 at 2:50 pm EDT:

          "Let me make my position clear - FC is complete bunk. I think
          whenever a facilitator is in the loop, the communication is called
          into question - unless the facilitator is completely blinded to the
          questions/information. Simply minimizing "influence" is insufficient.

          Regarding "noncommunicative" I am not sure why you are harping on
          this term. This is commonly used to describe someone who is
          cognitively impaired so that they are unable to meaningfully
          communicate. To deny that such individuals exist is to be in denial."

          My original post accessed at:

          --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Golden" <golden@...> wrote:

          > I just posted the following to the blog of neurologist Dr. Steven
          > Novella at
          > http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=212
          > [with permission for this message to be forwarded by others to
          > FCworld (where I will know because I am a member there) and
          > elsewhere but I request that I be notified if done elsewhere]:
          >
          > One really final comment:
          >
          > Except for someone who is completely brain dead, or actually dead,
          > Dr. Novella is absolutely wrong when he describes any 14 year-old
          in
          > the United States, after at least 11 years of entitlement to a Free
          > Appropriate Public Education (and probably early intervention
          > services before age 3) as "noncommunicative" no matter how severely
          > autistic and nonverbal. I previously wrote that over 30 years ago,
          > my own 5-1/2 year-old son was evaluated as having very poor
          > communication skills but after several years of intense language
          > therapy (which was over 25 years ago) that my son was quite
          > communicative. Dr. Novella replied in effect that my son was
          unusual
          > (and the other persons I mentioned by name) and therefore seems to
          > imply that his experience could not be used to discuss the efficacy
          > of Facilitated Communication in more general terms.
          >
          > Maybe my son at that point was doing better than others with his
          > degree of brain dysfunction, but how could any 14 year-old today in
          > the United States be described as "noncommunicative" except if
          > completely brain dead, or actually dead? I must publicly object to
          > such a statement by Dr. Novella, repeated more than once in this
          > blog. I am open to an explanation about this use of the
          > term "noncommunicative" from Dr. Novella, a neurologist who knows
          > about the functioning of the human brain based on deep scientific
          > knowledge. I realize Dr. Novella states his blog is about the
          > use of FC, but being "noncommunicative" goes to the essence of
          > his logic and therefore must be supported by facts.
          >
          > Arthur Golden of Jerusalem Israel

        • Char Brandl
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
            Art,
            Well, it might be foolish on my part to jump in like this, but I have now sent the following comment to Dr. Novella's blog:

                It's always dangerous to just drop in on an ongoing discussion, especially since I haven't read all the comments, and will not be able to stick around to keep the conversation going.  But I think I can help with the concern about "noncommunicative" - at least a little.
            I was a special educator for many years, now retired.  Most of my students would have carried a similar label, and we thought they were severely cognitively impaired.  But the truth is that all sentient beings communicate in some way - even if it is all done through behavior, with no words spoken.
            And we were so very wrong about their cognitive level.  They were unable to use spoken language to communicate their thoughts, but once we found a way to break through this barrier we began to see that they were learning all the time - and so much more intelligent than we had ever imagined.
            I used, and continue to use, Facilitated Communication.  Properly used, it is valid and real, and unless you have actually participated in a facilitated conversation, at least as an observer with an open mind, I don't think anyone has the right to imply that Art and I and others in our position are lying about our experiences.  The young people I work with have to deal with attitudes like that all the time, and they deserve better.
            Anne Donnellan has long advocated for going with the "Least Dangerous Assumption."  In cases like this, I think it's dangerous to assume anyone is cognitively impaired to the extent that they are unable to communicate.

            Hope it helps.
            Char

            Arthur Golden <golden@...> wrote:
            Dr. Novella finally responded with the following but I am ready to go
            to bed - any ideas of how to reply from the rest of this autismfc
            list would be appreciated:

            Steven Novella on 26 Mar 2008 at 2:50 pm EDT:

            "Let me make my position clear - FC is complete bunk. I think
            whenever a facilitator is in the loop, the communication is called
            into question - unless the facilitator is completely blinded to the
            questions/informati on. Simply minimizing "influence" is insufficient.

            Regarding "noncommunicative" I am not sure why you are harping on
            this term. This is commonly used to describe someone who is
            cognitively impaired so that they are unable to meaningfully
            communicate. To deny that such individuals exist is to be in denial."

            My original post accessed at:
            http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ autismfc/ message/1560

            .

          • Arthur Golden
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
              Char,

              Your comment sent to Dr. Novella's blog is excellent but he has not
              yet allowed it to be publicly displayed after 5 hours and I doubt
              that anything will penetrate his closed mind.

              However, I find your wisdom to be very well stated and I ask your
              permission to share it with parents of children viewed
              as "noncommunicative" by the professionals, including teachers. If I
              can find an open mind, then your words can penetrate.

              Later this morning (my time) I plan to send you a pdf file of an
              article from a news magazine here in Israel about a 14 year-old being
              described as "noncommunicative" - a situation that today does happen
              here in Israel even though it should not happen today in the United
              States. The article was written anonymously but I will try to locate
              the author and therefore the 14 year-old and try to offer to help,
              giving out your words of wisdom.

              Art

              --- In autismfc@yahoogroups.com, Char Brandl <charbfc@...> wrote:

              > Art,
              > Well, it might be foolish on my part to jump in like this, but I
              have now sent the following comment to Dr. Novella's blog:

              > It's always dangerous to just drop in on an ongoing
              discussion, especially since I haven't read all the comments, and
              will not be able to stick around to keep the conversation going. But
              I think I can help with the concern about "noncommunicative" - at
              least a little.
              > I was a special educator for many years, now retired. Most of my
              students would have carried a similar label, and we thought they were
              severely cognitively impaired. But the truth is that all sentient
              beings communicate in some way - even if it is all done through
              behavior, with no words spoken.
              > And we were so very wrong about their cognitive level. They were
              unable to use spoken language to communicate their thoughts, but once
              we found a way to break through this barrier we began to see that
              they were learning all the time - and so much more intelligent than
              we had ever imagined.
              > I used, and continue to use, Facilitated Communication. Properly
              used, it is valid and real, and unless you have actually participated
              in a facilitated conversation, at least as an observer with an open
              mind, I don't think anyone has the right to imply that Art and I and
              others in our position are lying about our experiences. The young
              people I work with have to deal with attitudes like that all the
              time, and they deserve better.
              > Anne Donnellan has long advocated for going with the "Least
              Dangerous Assumption." In cases like this, I think it's dangerous to
              assume anyone is cognitively impaired to the extent that they are
              unable to communicate.

              > Hope it helps.
              > Char

              [snip] Original message can be accessed at:
            • Char Brandl
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26, 2008
                Art,
                Yes, please feel free to share my comments with anyone who might be interested.  I am always hoping to be able to help.

                Char

                http://health. groups.yahoo. com/group/ autismfc/ message/1571

              • Arthur Golden
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 27, 2008
                  I just tried to make the following entry to Dr. Novella's blog and it
                  was not accepted. So I am posting it here:

                  Dear Dr. Novella,

                  1. Since I am not ideologically immune to evidence and logic, I
                  invite your showing me that your position is strong and based upon
                  established evidence and valid logic. While I appreciate that you
                  did respond to my comment about any 14 year-old today in the United
                  States being described as "noncommunicative" [which can be found
                  separately at
                  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autismfc/message/1560 ], you
                  have not yet presented me such evidence to support your position. I
                  am disappointed that your most recent comment to me is not up to your
                  usual high standards. I am further disappointed that the comment
                  from Char has not yet been posted to your blog (but can be found at
                  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autismfc/message/1572 ) Please
                  do not rush to respond but instead take the time to carefully
                  consider these matters and respond when you are ready. In the
                  meantime, in this comment entry I will comment further on what you
                  just wrote and ask some questions for you to consider when you are
                  ready (which I expect would be a new blog entry).

                  2. You started your most recent reply with "Let me make my position
                  clear - FC is complete bunk." In my recent reply to Leonard, I wrote
                  that "I am deeply convinced about the authenticity of FC." However,
                  this blog entry is about Facilitated Testimony in the Courtroom" You
                  then write "I think whenever a facilitator is in the loop, the
                  communication is called into question - unless the facilitator is
                  completely blinded to the questions/information." Although our
                  positions are different about FC in general, when it comes to FC in
                  the courtroom, I do wish to clearly state that in that situation I
                  agree with you that the communication is called into question. In
                  the case of Sharisa Joy Kochmeister - my information section (a)
                  above - her FC was accepted in court in the early 1990's because she
                  passed a double blind test in front of the judge and with Dr. Howard
                  Shane as the expert witness for the other side. However, as I
                  mentioned in my information sections (b) and (d) above - my own son
                  Ben did not pass such tests which we voluntarily did with Dr. Howard
                  Shane - but I believe (and realize I have yet to provide you any
                  evidence) it was because of my son's autism and not because of his
                  lack of communication.

                  3. You then state that "Simply minimizing "influence" is
                  insufficient." But is your statement based on logic? In my
                  information section (e) above I mention an alternative procedure -
                  asking the person to repeat the information to another facilitator
                  who is unaware of the FC with the first facilitator - before
                  proceeding with any court proceedings or even accepted the charges as
                  a valid report. You know that this alternative procedure was not
                  followed in the recent case. In the situation of my son, I wrote six
                  days and I still would like an answer from you to the following (the
                  question is at the end):

                  I am curious if any one here is already aware of the spiritual
                  content of the FC messages of my son Ben (now written originally only
                  in Hebrew but translated by others into English and please note that
                  I have no involvement in promoting such messages but many other
                  people do). Leading Torah scholars all state that my son Ben displays
                  a vast knowledge of Torah literature (which I doubt you have any
                  knowledge about), while I know that the facilitator (not me) does not
                  have such a background (but neither do I). If you or others are
                  curious, you can click on to:

                  http://www.emet8.com

                  or

                  http://dani18.com

                  I do not expect any of you, or Chris Borthwick, to have any interest
                  in the content of the FC facilitated with my son Ben, but considering
                  the already poor reputation of FC, why should any one try to stop it?

                  4. Although you write "Regarding "noncommunicative" I am not sure
                  why you are harping on this term" I wish to state that I only asked
                  the question one time and then posted one reminder a day later, which
                  I do not consider to be "harping on this term." I even posted at
                  my "own" website at
                  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autismfc/message/1569 "I do not
                  wish to make a nuisance of myself, so I will not keep reminding him
                  that he has yet to reply." Let's just say that you and I seem to
                  perceive things differently. Next you write "This is commonly used
                  to describe someone who is cognitively impaired so that they are
                  unable to meaningfully communicate." I know that I am extensively
                  involved with trying to improve the communication skills of persons
                  with no effective means of communication and I did not know about
                  such usage of the term "noncommunicative." Where is this term
                  commonly used? By the way, what do you meant by "unable to
                  meaningfully communicate?" By my human logic this does not at all
                  sound like being "noncommunicative." Please explain your logic that
                  these two terms are equivalent. You end your most recent comment
                  with "To deny that such individuals exist is to be in denial." Since
                  I already stated that persons who are brain dead are
                  noncommunicative, I do not deny such individuals exist. However, I
                  have the extensive experience to know that persons who have the most
                  extreme difficulties in communicating can, with sometimes years of
                  effort, always be able to learn to communicate. If you have evidence
                  that contradicts my extensive experience, please give it to me,
                  preferably in the form of citations of peer-reviewed scientific
                  studies.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 27, 2008
                    It turns out that my comment to Dr. Novella's blog was not accepted
                    because of a computer problem, which Dr. Novella was kind enough to fix
                    and now both the comments from Char and me are on his blog.

                    Steven Novella on 27 Mar 2008 at 9:06 am [EDT]

                    Note - many comments are being flagged as spam. This typically happens
                    if there are multiple URL links in the comment. So there may be a delay
                    because I have to review and de-spam such comments.

                    If you want to avoid this, then limit your links in comments.

                    arthurgolden on 27 Mar 2008 at 10:24 am

                    Sorry for causing that problem!

                    Thank you for going to the bother of fixing the problem and getting my
                    long comment, with its links, onto the blog.
                  • Tom Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 27, 2008
                      What intervention in autism isn't "complete bunk"? If he worked "on
                      the ground" with autistics he'd be more forgiving of such a gentle,
                      sweet and hopeful intervention. Then if like me he did it and watched
                      the "data" on it's effects both to the autie's behaviors and the
                      general ambiance of the whole place when working with them and using
                      FC, he'd consider it not only a God-send for the work he was trying to
                      do, but a blessing for finally being able to get to know the auties
                      he's working or living with. He doesn't like the way auties
                      communicate? We don't like the ways he communicates.

                      But Dr Novella doesn't need to worry about any of that, he only needs
                      to worry about his career's bottom line and for that calling "FC bunk"
                      is a great boost.

                      Dr Novella is an opportunist-careerist and I personally don't care
                      about him.

                      Tom

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    • Arthur Golden
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3 8:02 AM
                        After a full week, Dr. Novella has not posted any reply to my last
                        comment to his blog entry "Facilitated Testimony in the Courtroom"
                        which can be accessed at:
                        http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=212

                        At this point I do not expect he will reply further on his blog entry
                        that he started three weeks ago.

                        Meanwhile I will keep monitoring his blog NEUROLOGICA and I expect
                        that eventually Dr. Novella will bring up a relevant subject and I
                        will be able to try to continue our dialogue.

                        After I posted my last comment, I did a little research and I found a
                        relevant article on persons who are "defined" by neurologists
                        as "noncommunicative" - persons in a "vegetative state" or "minimally
                        conscious" (two different situations). The article can be accessed
                        at:

                        http://espra.risc.cnrs.fr/SL_TICS05.pdf

                        For persons in a "vegetative state" or "minimally conscious" there is
                        not enough brain activity for the brain to cause the mind to be able
                        to communicate, but since I do not understand that the brain is the
                        cause of the mind, I believe that even such persons can communicate -
                        at least through the type of Facilitated Communication done by my son
                        Ben. I am looking forward to an interesting dialogue with Dr.
                        Novella at such time that I can bring up this subject again.

                        Art
                      • Tom Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3 9:53 AM
                          Even if someone is severely "noncommunicative", in the nursing field we
                          are supposed to use ANY communication method, verbal or nonverbal, in
                          order to do our jobs ethically. This is taught as the HIGHEST priority
                          in nursing.

                          Tom