Re: [australianherps] Frilled Lizard

  • parag saraf
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
      Thanks for the reply Matthew,

      I got the picture. It really help my collection.

      Please can u provide me more detail about animals. As i have learn much but by
      watching "Discovery Channel". And want to take care of animals (mostly Crocodile
      and Python are my favorite animals). But don't know what and how to do.

      Regards,
      Parag Saraf

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
        --- On Fri, 31/12/10, parag saraf <parag_saraf2512@...> wrote:

        Hello  Parag,

        Sorry, but I don't have any pictures of a frilled lizard myself, but
        if you search online for public domain images of them, you should
        find plenty.

        Jean

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
          hey Sarah

          i have been keeping a female frilly for the past 4 years and only have i recently finally got it right.

          Frillys spent most of their time in the trees, very little time on the ground, i keep mine in a 4ft long 4ft tall glass terrarium. i use oz pet litter as a ground substrate however you can use sand for a more natural look. if you decide to use sand, mix it with water and pack it into the cage while it is still wet, it will dry hard but this will prvent the lizard eating lots of sand when feeding on the ground.

          you will need vertical branches, preferbly of a thickness that when the lizard is hanging onto a branch, you cant see her from the opposite side.

          other decorations such as plants rocks etc can be used to make things a little more appealing, you can include a water bowl if you wish but the lizard will be unlikely to use one(unless your lucky)

          Heating and lighting are straight forward, you will need uvb and heat. you should aim to have the basking spot at about 35-37 degrees. you can get some bulbs that do uvb-uva and heat, i think they are called solar glow, they are not the cheapest bulbs but i perfer these for my frilly.

          feeding and drinking are a little different with frillys. the best time to find most reptiles in northern australia is after rain. i find the easiest way to get mine to feed is to give the whole cage a spray with water, absolutley wet everything so there is water running down the branches and there are plenty of water droplets on the glass perferably near ground level. my frilly will drink water if i spray her but i make sure that there is plenty of water to drink off the glass. i wait about 20mins after a spray and she has often found her way down to the ground, this means she wants food.

          crickets and woodies are the most popular food item at home but should the odd grass hopper find its way into the house it quickley becomes a favourite food item. i feed her about 4 times a week.i do feed her pinkie mice but very rarely. you can try and feed her some fruit and vege but most dont really go for it like bearded dragons do.
          supplements to include are just a calcium powder and a multi vite, you can get these from most pet stores in the reptile section. for an adult lizard use these vitamins about every three feeds, for growing lizards try every second.

          frillys are also incredibly emotional, you prob dont want to putthe cage somewhere in veiw of lots of activity, such as human traffic, cats, dogs and snakes, this can result in sulking which is when the lizard becomes very quiet and will refuse to feed and drink. mine sulks when i am away from home and my partner has to feed her.

          i would recommend getting a good husbandry book like keeping and breeding australian lizards to help in times of need.

          hope this helps.

          Tye