Re: [australianherps] goanna substrate

  • Monica Wangmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2010
      why does it take 10 days for this email to arrive ( and then disapear
      in my email list as 10 days old - for me to search for!!!)

      On 14/08/2010 1:54 PM, tye purnell wrote:

      > g'day everyone.
      >
      > i am just about to move my small sand monitor into its
      > new home i have a question regarding the substrate i should
      > use.
      >
      > The new cage is 8ft long and about 2ft deep. i am hoping to
      > use a substrate that he can dig a burrow in without it caving in
      > all the time. i am thinking of using a mix of sand (high clay
      > content) and some fine gravel. if i use this mix and put it into
      > the cage wet will it set hard enough for the lizard to dig his own
      > den?
      >
      > If anyone else has keep sand monitors or has some other ideas
      > i would like to hear from you.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Tye & Thunder Horse(the lizard)

    • Matthew Bonnett
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2010
        Hi Tye,

        Forget the gravel, as this wil just weaken any burrow structure. Loam is essentially sand with a higher clay content and holds a burrow reasonably well. Look for a nice loam (you can often get reddish stuff) at your local landscape supplier.

        Regards,
        Matt