Lunch for a blackheaded

  • stephen.weir@csiro.au
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22 1:02 AM
    • Jean DAndrea
      Message 2 of 13 , May 25 5:29 PM
        --- On Fri, 22/5/09, stephen.weir@... <stephen.weir@...> wrote:

        Thanks for sharing that, Steve.   Beautiful snake.

        Jean

        Subject: [australianherps] Lunch for a blackheaded

        Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline

      • stephen.weir@csiro.au
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
            --- In australianherps@yahoogroups.com, <stephen.weir@...> wrote:

            > http://www.smh.com.au/world/escaped-pet-python-strangles-child-to-death-20090702-d5h3.html
            >
            > Steve
            >This is one more reason aganaist bad ownership and should be view as such.
          • Jean DAndrea
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
              --- On Thu, 2/7/09, stephen.weir@... <stephen.weir@...> wrote:

              Hi Steve,

              Agree it's another argument against exotics.
              I blame the parents for the snake's escape - they should have made
              sure it was secure in it's cage, and that if it did get out, it couldn't
              get into the child's room

              Now the snake, and the parents, are suffering, all from a preventable
              incident.

              I hope the snake survives.

              Jean

            • John Fowler
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2009
                I'm not sure if this could be used as an argument against keeping exotics,
                rather than keeping large pythons, or other "dangerous" reptiles.

                A corn snake or red eared terrapin is exotic and is unlikely to be able to
                kill a child, although I suppose a young child might try and eat a terrapin
                and choke to death on it.

                Also, there are many animals kept in Australia that are probably more
                dangerous than that particular python.

                Horses, can kill and injure adults, Dogs can also be very dangerous, and
                animals straying onto roads, (native and stock) can cause fatal accidents.

                There are plenty of dangerous Australian venomous snakes that would be more
                of a concern than a largish python.

                I think part of the problem is that the Burmese python, was possibly not
                considered to be dangerous at all by its owner, as it wasn't a gigantic
                snake, it also might have been quite docile.

                It is unfortunate that accidents happen, no matter how many laws are in
                place, and we need to be aware of the dangers. Personally I would be against
                any laws that banned keeping pythons. We already have too much regulation.

                We already have laws that prohibit exotics, - Are those laws likely to be
                loosened in the future?

                John

                Agree it's another argument against exotics.
                I blame the parents for the snake's escape - they should have made
                sure it was secure in it's cage, and that if it did get out, it couldn't
                get into the child's room

                Now the snake, and the parents, are suffering, all from a preventable
                incident.

                I hope the snake survives.

                Jean

                18:06:00
              • Anne Thomas
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 4, 2009
                  Yey I agree my husband and I have many snakes and all of them are in locked cabinets. We would not keep snakes unless they are locked away. The people who kept this snake it not do their homework on how to keep and how to house. If they did then may be this accident would not have happened.
                  Anne

                  ________________________________

                  Agree it's another argument against exotics.
                  I blame the parents for the snake's escape - they should have made
                  sure it was secure in it's cage, and that if it did get out, it couldn't
                  get into the child's room

                  Now the snake, and the parents, are suffering, all from a preventable
                  incident.

                  I hope the snake survives.

                  Jean

                  ________
                  Show me how: http://au.mobile yahoo.com/ mail

                  18:06:00

                • Anne Thomas
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 4, 2009
                    So do I. It was'nt the snakes fault the owners must have not done their homework.
                    Anne

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2009
                      It is always going to be dangerous to keep large pythons, our olive pythons for example
                      are capable of growing larger than 2.5 meters and could easily kill an infant. it was only a few years ago that and Australian man was killed by his scrub python. this side of the story is a real reality check for keepers.

                       The big issue with exotics is given the optunity to be free in our australian environment, some species can be devestating to our native wildlife, corn snakes might sound safe enough but when they become a competitor in the wild with our Broad headed snakes for example, you can be sure that the native species which is very slow to reproduce and is aleady a species with a small population is going to be pushed out.

                        I hope that we keep our laws against exotics for the protection of our own species, it would also be great if NPWS were more on the ball with this subject, I am not sure who is responsible for tracking exotic breeders down but there are plenty out there. I work in a petstore, in the last week alone i have had people buying heat lights to incubate chemeleon eggs, mice for corn snakes and also the cheapest and most inappropriate housing for corn snakes. that is just this past week and there are plenty more stories to tell from the past 2 and a half years.

                      Tye