Plants for tadpoles

  • frogz_007
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
      Hi, my spotted marsh frogs keep spawning about once a fortnight, so far
      there's about 600+ tadpoles O.O I have some plants in their aquarium,
      I'm not sure if they're eating them or not so I've been giving them
      fishfood as well (which they go mad over!). I've tried giving them
      lettuce, but they don't seem to like it (maybe they prefer to wait
      until I give them fishfood?!). What else do tadpoles eat? Thanks!

      Frogz.
    • Monica Wangmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2008
        Hello Frogz,

        goldfish food is too high in protein n (I think) they need spirulina for herbivores / algae grazers this still has 48/% crude protein which may still be too high

        tadpoles are herbivores not carnivores so they need vegetables / algae not meat/protein

        lettuce is better
        washed well to remove contaminants and
        frozen (or boiled if you can be bothered)
        lettuce like cos
        not too much or it will pollute the water they should get just enough for the day

        have fun

        regards
        Monica
        Frog and Tadpole Study FATS group of NSW inc

      • stephen.weir@csiro.au
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2008
          Hi Frogz,

          Give them as little fish food as possible, it's been linked with
          increased mortality post metamorphosis. Something about the fat content
          and/or animal protein not being metabolised effectively.

          They are detritivores, and tend to prefer sifting through their own
          droppings. The lettuce you provide should be cos lettuce or the outer
          leaves of an iceberg, and must be either crushed or very lightly
          steamed/boiled.

          Personally I prefer a bare tank, but if you must plant the tank try val
          or another cold water plant. They may not eat the val, but if you use a
          suitable light they will graze the algae off the leaves and tank walls

          Here's a link to a caresheet

          http://www.fats.org.au/Publications_files/FF606.pdf

          To stop SMF's spawning simply keep them damp not wet. At this time of
          year they prefer to be hiding under rocks or logs. Are they in a heated
          tank? Please don't release them into your yard, as there are already
          enough SMF's to go around. They have a decided advantage over the
          common treefrogs (L. fallax, L. peronii) in suburbia due the permanent
          ponds in backyards, which allows their tadpoles to successfully
          overwinter and metamorphose at a larger size.

          Regards,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
            Thanks for the replies. I'll try lettuce again... they wouldn't eat
            it last time even though I had washed and frozen it so I'll boil it
            this time :D My SMFs are not in a heated tank, they're kept at room
            temperature, about 20 degrees. Wasn't going to release the tadpoles
            into the wild as it might upset the ecosystem...? I'll be selling
            them off soon so I can buy another frog tank :D I might separate the
            males and females to stop them breeding...hmmmm...