Escaped python

  • Casey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
      So, I've been house sitting for the last fortnight and just got home
      today to discover the pet python had escaped. ...OH WOE!

      >.>

      At first I thought that someone had broken in but that's not what
      happened because nothing was missing. Nothing at al. ...the apartment
      was just a bit messier then usual; some empty cordial bottles lying on
      their sides, some mess in the kitchen area and some empty boxes of cat
      food lying about. Then I went to fill up the python's water bowl and
      noticed that there was an opening in the vivarium... 'oh fuck' said the
      brain and I began to start searching desperately! But where could she
      have gone, I asked myself? The entire flat is closed up! There's no
      where she could have gotten out through!

      ...I found her this evening. My neighbour came by to drop my mail off
      and we got to talking about stuff and then, maybe fifteen minutes later
      'what the fuck is that?' and I look up and ahah! THERE SHE IS!
      ...slithering out of a part of the sliding door. BUT when she spotted me
      looking at her she went straight back in, didn't she! Does anyone have
      any suggestions on how to get her out?

      Casey
    • Bill Louis (wlouis)
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
        I would think food would be a good way, she must get hungry eventually

        Bill

        ________________________________

        So, I've been house sitting for the last fortnight and just got home
        today to discover the pet python had escaped. ...OH WOE!

        >.>

        At first I thought that someone had broken in but that's not what
        happened because nothing was missing. Nothing at al. ...the apartment
        was just a bit messier then usual; some empty cordial bottles lying on
        their sides, some mess in the kitchen area and some empty boxes of cat
        food lying about. Then I went to fill up the python's water bowl and
        noticed that there was an opening in the vivarium... 'oh fuck' said the
        brain and I began to start searching desperately! But where could she
        have gone, I asked myself? The entire flat is closed up! There's no
        where she could have gotten out through!

        ...I found her this evening. My neighbour came by to drop my mail off
        and we got to talking about stuff and then, maybe fifteen minutes later
        'what the fuck is that?' and I look up and ahah! THERE SHE IS!
        ...slithering out of a part of the sliding door. BUT when she spotted me

        looking at her she went straight back in, didn't she! Does anyone have
        any suggestions on how to get her out?

        Casey

      • Paul Kelly-Taylor
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
          Good advice..
          If you have one of those small plastic pet cages..leave it near the door
          with some live mice in it...
          the snake will come out because of their scent.
          worked for me in the past...
          cheers
          paul

          Bill Louis (wlouis) wrote:
          > I would think food would be a good way, she must get hungry eventually
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
            Hi Casey,
            we had a similar problem a few years ago. I left the house as cool as
            possible and placed a heat mat on the floor (middle of the room with a
            towel on top) with a small bowl and a mouse, within an hour the escapee
            had coiled up after a nice feed on the mat.

            Cheers Therese and Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2008
              The mouse ideas are all when a good, everyone but... I have a problem. I
              also have cats. ...however, I think I shall drop them off at my mother's
              for the weekend and entice the snake to come back with a couple of nice
              sized mice. Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

              Casey

              Paul Kelly-Taylor wrote:

              > Good advice..
              > If you have one of those small plastic pet cages..leave it near the door
              > with some live mice in it...
              > the snake will come out because of their scent.
              > worked for me in the past...
              > cheers
              > paul
              >
              > Bill Louis (wlouis) wrote:
              > > I would think food would be a good way, she must get hungry eventually
              > >
              > > Bill

              > > From: australianherps@yahoogroups.com

            • Bill Louis (wlouis)
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
                Good idea, a cat in a pet cage would work too :-)

                Just jokes, I read the next email that you have found her, I am very
                happy for you

                cheers
                Bill