Re: Spiny tailed geckos

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hehehe! I'm in the Western Surburbs of Brissy, Moggill. They make
      such a loud noise calling to each other. They are sort of
      greeny/yellow translucent. Quite easy to catch too thank goodness so
      I don't have too much trouble rescuing them from being potential
      snacks!

      I really hope mine turn out to be good feeders. My cats and my horse
      are picky eaters, so the last thing I need is another picky pet!!

      Can't wait to see your photos. How exciting having a few clutches!
      What set-up did you use to incubate the eggs?

      :0)

      --- In australianherps@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Kane" <scott@p...>
      wrote:

      > > Awwww...it will be very interesting watching their behaviour
      > > and getting to know them. I have had to save many a house
      > > gecko that has somehow gotten in the house and is running
      > > across the ceiling with three very alert cats watching its
      > > progress, hehehe!!
      >
      > I used to live on the Gold Coast. We never saw
      > house geckos there. However my Aunt in Brisbane
      > entertains them nightly. :-)
      >
      > > I keep my cats in so they can't hurt the wildlife and the
      > > wildlife can't hurt them, but if they get into the house
      > > they're fair game as far as the cats are concerned!
      >
      > We've always kept ours in too. They have a cat run so
      > that they can safely get some sunshine and air while the
      > wildlife can go on about their business safely.
      >
      > > Marbled geckos do look very sweet in the pickies I have seen.
      > > Let me know when you have some pickies. What sort of set-up
      > > do you keep them in?
      >
      > Will try to get some pics in the near future, I don't
      > have a digital camera so it takes time. I've got 6
      > Marbled geckos in a 3 foot aquarium with a custom screen
      > lid. I lower the temperature slightly in Winter so that
      > they can live a more natural existence. This also led
      > to a couple of successful clutches last year.
      >
      > > I am slightly nervous of feeding them. I'm hoping I don't
      > > turn the crickets into pets too, hehehe! I'm hoping they are
      > > good feeders. Are geckos usually good feeders in general?
      > > It's snakes that can sometimes be iffy with their food, isn't it?
      >
      > While one hears about picky snakes some lizards can
      > be picky too. I have an adult male Water Dragon and
      > a female. The male will *only* eat crickets and
      > canned cat food (only used sparingly and when I'm short
      > on crickets). Where as the female will eat anything I
      > put out for her including banana, boiled apple and
      > lettuce (which has no nutritional benefit but she likes
      > it).
      >
      > Scott
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
        Wow!! They are stunning, and look very different to each other! Glad
        to hear that you are getting on well with them. It gives me a bit of
        hope too. I'm very excited but quite nervous too as they are my first
        reptiles.

        Would love to hear if they have any clutches in the future, and would
        also love to see a pic of the enclosure you made when you have
        finished!

        :0)

        --- In australianherps@yahoogroups.com, Daavid <daavid.turnbull@o...>
        wrote:
        > Dear Sarah,
        >
        > We recently got a pair of these guys and they are thriving. We
        are in
        > Victoria but we got ours from NSW.
        >
        > Photos of our guys can be found at:
        >
        > http://www.herptrader.com.au/tmp/SpinyTailedMale.jpg
        >
        > http://www.herptrader.com.au/tmp/SpinyTailedFemale.jpg
        >
        > We have ours under UV light and feed them feeder roaches, dusted in
        > calcium and Herp-t-vite every other evening after lights out. They
        have
        > grown a lot in the 8 or so weeks that we have had them.
        >
        > Have built an enclosure for them which is just about finished. The
        care
        > sheets suggest that they can be kept together as adults... which is
        when
        > their tails start fattening up.
        >
        > They are fascinating to watch!.
        >
        > Good luck with your little guys.
        >
        > regards __daavid
      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
          It's such a shame! I almost bought a pair of collared lizards when I
          was 17 in England. I was hoping to be able to get a pair here as they
          are so cute. Oh well! I'm still very excited about the Spiny Tailed
          Geckos. I love the look of Crested geckos, shame you can't keep them
          here, they are most interesting to look at!

          :0)

          --- In australianherps@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley" <spondon955i@o...>
          wrote:
          > Unfortunately we are not allowed any non native reptiles in
          Australia, there
          > are a few people that have exotics after amnesties etc but it isn't
          > possible. Like you I lived in the UK for a time and really miss the
          huge
          > variety and range.
          > There are literally 100's of species of exotic reptiles here but
          are
          > illegal.
          >
          > Ashley
          >

          > > Hi there,
          > >
          > > No, I am in Queensland. I have been checking out the eco-access
          site
          > > (QLD government) and it does say that can apply for an internal
          > > reptile licence. I haven't found any reptiles for sale on the
          internet
          > > that are not native to Australia though. Are there leopard geckos
          > > here? Any other international species available here that you
          know of?
          > > I always wanted a chameleon!
          > >
          > > :0)
        • Scott Kane
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
            > I really hope mine turn out to be good feeders. My cats and my horse
            > are picky eaters, so the last thing I need is another picky pet!!

            Compared to my youngest daughter my herps are the easiest to
            feed! :-)

            > Can't wait to see your photos. How exciting having a few clutches!
            > What set-up did you use to incubate the eggs?

            Vermaculite. A friend of mine works in a lab and they
            use it there. I had previously checked the cupboard
            where the gas hot water system resides and it maintains
            a constant temp of 24 degrees. I was able to use the
            cupboard as the incubator. Not very scientific but it
            worked like a charm. <g>

            Scott
          • Sarah
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hehehe!! That's hilarious! Yes, little ones can be difficult to feed
              sometimes, no matter what faces you pull to make them think its yummy!!

              What a great idea about the incubator. Unfortunately our boiler is
              outside, so won't work for me. Would love to see your hatchlings when
              they emerge

              :0)

              --- In australianherps@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Kane" <scott@p...> wrote:

              > > I really hope mine turn out to be good feeders. My cats and my horse
              > > are picky eaters, so the last thing I need is another picky pet!!
              >
              > Compared to my youngest daughter my herps are the easiest to
              > feed! :-)
              >
              > > Can't wait to see your photos. How exciting having a few clutches!
              > > What set-up did you use to incubate the eggs?
              >
              > Vermaculite. A friend of mine works in a lab and they
              > use it there. I had previously checked the cupboard
              > where the gas hot water system resides and it maintains
              > a constant temp of 24 degrees. I was able to use the
              > cupboard as the incubator. Not very scientific but it
              > worked like a charm. <g>
              >
              > Scott
            • Daavid
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
                While I would much rather see feral geckos rather than feral cats
                running around the place I feel obliged to point out that the Asian
                house gecko is a well established introduced species common around
                people in the warmer parts of NT and QLD.

                Its status in law is therefore quite different than the Spiny tailed and
                other native geckos.

                Scott Kane wrote:

                >>Awwww...it will be very interesting watching their behaviour
                >>and getting to know them. I have had to save many a house
                >>gecko that has somehow gotten in the house and is running
                >>across the ceiling with three very alert cats watching its
                >>progress, hehehe!!
                >>

                >I used to live on the Gold Coast. We never saw
                >house geckos there. However my Aunt in Brisbane
                >entertains them nightly. :-)

              • Sarah
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Very interesting. I didn't realise that they were introduced. I love
                  the way they talk to each other at night.

                  We had one living inside the airconditioner in our bedroom for months
                  and months. It kept leaving little presents for me to clean up on the
                  wall above my bed! I only saw it twice but it was actually quite big!
                  It used to make a lot of noise that had all three of my cats
                  entranced. They'd sit underneath the air conditioner for hours!

                  Were they accidentally introduced or purposefully introduced?

                  wrote:
                  > While I would much rather see feral geckos rather than feral cats
                  > running around the place I feel obliged to point out that the Asian
                  > house gecko is a well established introduced species common around
                  > people in the warmer parts of NT and QLD.
                  >
                  > Its status in law is therefore quite different than the Spiny
                  tailed and
                  > other native geckos.
                  >
                  > Scott Kane wrote:
                  >
                  > >>Awwww...it will be very interesting watching their behaviour
                  > >>and getting to know them. I have had to save many a house
                  > >>gecko that has somehow gotten in the house and is running
                  > >>across the ceiling with three very alert cats watching its
                  > >>progress, hehehe!!
                  > >>

                  > >I used to live on the Gold Coast. We never saw
                  > >house geckos there. However my Aunt in Brisbane
                  > >entertains them nightly. :-)

                • Scott Kane
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005
                    > Hehehe!! That's hilarious! Yes, little ones can be difficult
                    > to feed sometimes, no matter what faces you pull to make them
                    > think its yummy!!

                    She goes further. Each food item must be in a separate plate.
                    So jelly one plate and ice-cream in another. Drive us up the
                    wall! <g>

                    > What a great idea about the incubator. Unfortunately our
                    > boiler is outside, so won't work for me. Would love to see
                    > your hatchlings when they emerge

                    Actually I was a bit embarrassed to admit it! I sold off
                    most of my collection while I was ill and was not expecting
                    any clutches. They caught me by surprise! <g>

                    Scott Kane
                    Herpetology Software
                    http://www.proherp.com
                  • Sarah
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
                      Oh my!! It must drive you bonkers! Bless her little heart. Hopefully
                      she will grow out of it.

                      Hehehe! Well, great improvisation! Would have worked well in the UK as
                      every house has a boiler cupboard. I still have good few months before
                      anything will transpire, so I have plenty of time to decide the
                      easiest and most reliable method. Everyone has different ideas though
                      so I guess it's trial and error.

                      My licence should arrive on Monday, so hopefully I will be picking
                      them up from the airport on Tuesday. I'm SO excited. I feel like a kid
                      at Christmas! Nice feeling actually!

                      I've already put an order in for my next species, which should be
                      available mid November from the same species. It's another pair of
                      D.Ciliaris, but the Katherine form that has orange bands on it's tail
                      and orange splotches on its body. The first pair are the Alice Springs
                      form.

                      The breeder has been fantastic. Very patient with all my questions.
                      Very impressed with him.

                      Good luck feeding your little one, hehehe!