Re: Welcome to australianherps@onelist.com

  • Vic Woolley
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 8, 1998
      hi,
      i'm new to this list and i'm looking at buying a bearded dragon later in
      the year. if anyone has any good info, can you pls tell me,
      thank you!!
    • Alexander Hamilton
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13, 1998
        Hi all!

        I'm brand new to the mailing list, so i just thought i'd drop a line to say
        hello. I am only just now starting to set up a reptile collection, so may
        need a bit of advice at times ... :)

        My interests lie mainly with pythons - any and/or all species :)

        So i guess thats about it..

        have fun..

        --Alex
      • Andrew Walker
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 1998
          Howdy Alexander, good luck with your herping career.
          Andrew.

          Alexander Hamilton wrote:

          > From: "Alexander Hamilton" <spiney@...>
          >
          > Hi all!
          >
          > I'm brand new to the mailing list, so i just thought i'd drop a line to say
          > hello. I am only just now starting to set up a reptile collection, so may
          > need a bit of advice at times ... :)
          >
          > My interests lie mainly with pythons - any and/or all species :)
          >
          > So i guess thats about it..
          >
          > have fun..
          >
          > --Alex

        • Chris Humfrey
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 1998
            WANTED TO BUY: WESTERN BLUETONGUES $300, BURTON'S LEGLESS LIZARDS $300,
            SOUTHERN LEAF-TAILED GECKOES $150, SWAP EASTERN QUOLLS ( NOT A HERP BUT
            WORTH A TRY).
          • Dennis Prendergast
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 15, 1998
              Contact me with your phone no.
              Graham Gow (N.T) may be able to help you with your Burtons

              Chris Humfrey wrote:

              > From: Chris Humfrey <waction@...>
              >
              > WANTED TO BUY: WESTERN BLUETONGUES $300, BURTON'S LEGLESS LIZARDS $300,
              > SOUTHERN LEAF-TAILED GECKOES $150, SWAP EASTERN QUOLLS ( NOT A HERP BUT
              > WORTH A TRY).

            • Andrew Walker
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 16, 1998
                > Howdy, saw your note in reply to C.Humfries - do you keep reptiles? If so
                > what?

                Im in Vic and keen on gex, monitors and larger skinks, have westerns,
                centralians, mullets etc...Regards Andrew.
                walker@...
              • Paul Speirs
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 6, 1999
                  I do now! 3 of them at about 2 weeks old. Pogona Barbata in fact.

                  Cheers,

                  Paul

                • Josh0322@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 6, 1999
                    Anyone own bearded dragon(s). Alzo how many peopl are on this list?
                  • John Fowler & Rachel Barnes
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 7, 1999

                      There are 59 people on this list.

                    • William Mcgrath
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 7, 1999
                        I do now, we have 3 and their about 3 weeks old, Pogona Vitticeps.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 17, 1999
                          THANK YOU, RICK PRINTZ
                        • Tofelofogus Poppendorf
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 5, 1999
                            G'day all,

                            Just thought i'd write & let you know about me and my herps. I live in
                            Sydney & currently have 5 adult Stimson pythons and 2 Diamond pythons.
                            I'm hoping to breed my Stimsons this year. I'm also interested in
                            obtaining more Stimsons and Diamonds. Is there anybody else out there
                            who keeps/breeds Stimsons? It would be great to here from you.

                            Chris (Tofelofogus - or Toff for short!)
                          • VFerra4699@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 5, 1999
                              hello, I never heard of a Stimson? Is there a more common name we may have
                              heard in the States? I absolutely love Diamonds, but they are very hard to
                              find here and also very expensive. My wife and I do have two wonderful pairs
                              of the Jungle subspecies though. Good to hear from you.
                            • Adam Jones
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 12, 1999
                                anyone interested in swapping large monitors (female sandie, spencers,
                                panoptes) for my acanthurus and gilleni? Adam 02 9521 7076
                              • Andrew Walker
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 13, 1999
                                  >anyone interested in swapping large monitors (female sandie, spencers,
                                  >panoptes) for my acanthurus and gilleni? Adam 02 9521 7076

                                  grumpy female lacy? Selling any of the above?

                                  >ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
                                  >http://www.onelist.com
                                  >Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

                                • Tom Townsend
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 26, 1999
                                    Hello everyone!
                                    I just subscribed on the recommendation of an Australian friend.
                                    My name is Tom Townsend and although I do not live in Australia, I have been
                                    a fan of Australian fauna for many years. I keep snakes mostly, and I am
                                    particularly fond of Indonesian and Australian species. I will include "my
                                    list" on closing. I hope to learn a great deal fronm the list.....

                                    Tom

                                    2.2 Python molurus pimbura (Ceylon python)
                                    7.7 Morelia amethystina amethystina (Amethystine/Scrub python)
                                    2.2 Python curtis brongersmai (Blood python)
                                    1.1 Python curtis breitensteini (Borneo short-tailed python)
                                    2.5 Morelia spilota variegata (Irian Jaya carpet python)
                                    2.3 Morelia spilota mcdowelli (Coastal carpet python)
                                    1.2 Python reticulatus (Reticulated python) Bali retic
                                    1.2 Python reticulatus (Reticulated python) Jampea retic
                                    1.1 Python reticulatus (Reticulated python) Mainland silverhead
                                    2.2 Liasis mackloti mackloti (Macklot's/Freckled python)
                                    1.1 Liasis fuscus (Brown water python)
                                    8.14.2 Python regius (Ball python)
                                    1.2 Eryx colubrinus loveridgei (Kenyan sand boa)
                                    4.5 Boa constrictor ssp. (Boa constrictor)
                                    0.1 Boa constrictor occidentalis (Argentine boa)
                                    3.0 Boiga dendrofila
                                    1.0 Agkistrodon contortrix (copperhead)

                                    Please subscribe to miniretic@onelist.com a reticulated python enthusiast
                                    mailing list specifically for keepers of the smaller insular forms of Python
                                    Reticulatus.
                                    http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/miniretic
                                  • joe rogers
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 23, 1999
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 9, 1999
                                        Thanks for the intro John. I am guessing this is an autoresponse from the
                                        signup.
                                        I am only a newbie, and I am just having a look around. The reason I say
                                        newbie, is that although I have kept reptiles for most my life, I did not
                                        register at the amnesty. This was only because I didn't know about it, not
                                        mixing with any other reptile keepers. Whilst I only keep a few lizards at
                                        this stage, once licenced I will make my presence known and advise on what
                                        I keep and what I am looking for. I intend approaching National Parks and
                                        Wildlife this month to see if a licence will be granted. I have only
                                        recently started to do some searching around to see what contacts are
                                        available, and this will focus my intentions.
                                        Sorry to throw all this at you, but just thought I would feed back a bit of
                                        information.

                                        Regards

                                        Martin Keep

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 11, 1999
                                          Welcome martin, can you let us all know what happens with the dept of
                                          wildlife please as i know some people that also missed the amnesty and im
                                          sure a few sub's to this group also know some people that may benifit from
                                          your experiance(unlicenced reptiles)

                                          thanks

                                          Frank

                                          Welcome to the list. Please take a moment to review this message.

                                          To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                          www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
                                          on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                          between digest and normal mode.

                                          This is a very new list, so you may not recieve many postings for a while.
                                          If
                                          you are after any species of reptiles, or you have excess reptiles for sale
                                          or
                                          exchange please post them to this list.

                                          Also please feel free to let other subscribers to the list know that you
                                          have
                                          joined and what species you keep or where your interests lie.

                                          Thanks,

                                          John Fowler

                                          << text3.html >>
                                        • Martin Keep
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 21, 1999
                                            I have subscribed to this list for around a month now, just for information
                                            I live in Sydney. I just want to advise on the steps that occurred for me
                                            to obtain my license, which has just been approved.

                                            When I originally joined, I did not have a license from NPWS.

                                            As I was keeping some lizards, I approached NPWS regarding obtaining a
                                            license for them, and advised that I knew there had been an amnesty but
                                            that I had found out afterwards, so hadn't applied for a license. As I have
                                            kept lizards (not snakes as yet), for many years, I also enquired as to
                                            obtaining a Class 3 licence. I was looking at lizards listed in the Class 3
                                            area, and was interested in keeping a few of these, should the opportunity
                                            arise.

                                            I was advised the following:

                                            Write a letter explaining why I didn't apply during the amnesty. This would
                                            cover the Class 1 licence.
                                            Provide references from licenced individuals, as proof of reptile keeping
                                            experience. Then a Class 3 would be considered.
                                            Send a check for the Class 3 licence, and if this was not approved, then a
                                            Class 1 licence would be provided, along with a refund for the fee
                                            difference.

                                            I wrote that I was not aware of the amnesty and provided some background
                                            information on myself.
                                            I contacted a friend that I knew was keeping snakes, and he provided me
                                            with a reference, and I now maintain a better contact relationship than I
                                            have in the past (I believe this is a good plus). I could only provide 1
                                            reference as other people I have had contact with no longer keep reptiles.
                                            I advised all this in a covering letter.

                                            This is really to give some detail for those that know people that may not
                                            have a license, but would like to make the approach (well in NSW anyway).
                                            To be frank, I think it is just sending the money and getting it processed,
                                            but I may be wrong!

                                            Really to add to this, I would also like to get a beginner snake. I have
                                            seen all the postings regarding problems with the Children's python(s), but
                                            still believe this is the best one to start with. I can stand corrected,
                                            and welcome any advice. My friend will assist with any snake problems, as
                                            he has kept snakes for many years, including childrens pythons, but is not
                                            breeding anything at present.

                                            I am also interested in obtaining some dragons (I just want to keep a
                                            couple of species at this stage) and some shinglebacks (if possible) in the
                                            new year, if anyone can assist.

                                            I only have a few blue tongues and water dragons at present (I have a large
                                            outside enclosure set up, and moved them out to it a few months ago), but
                                            will be working over the next few weeks in getting appropriate
                                            accommodation prepared for my additional purchases. I would not consider
                                            purchasing anything without the right setup in place.

                                            Thanks for putting up with this post. I am not a really experienced keeper,
                                            in that I have had few problems over the years, and I look forward to the
                                            help and information available from people in this forum.

                                            Thanks

                                            Martin