Townsville

  • John Fowler & Rachel Barnes
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 1993
      Hi,

      It looks like I have to got to Townsville as a witness in a court case. I
      will probably have very little spare time however if possible it would be
      nice to make the most of the trip.

      Does anybody know if there is anything herpetological to do in Townsville?

      Regards

      John
    • Scott Kane - MSA
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
        John,

        > It looks like I have to got to Townsville as a
        > witness in a court case. I
        > will probably have very little spare time however
        > if possible it would be
        > nice to make the most of the trip.

        Don't let the Qld gov' know you're a Herper... :-)

        > Does anybody know if there is anything
        > herpetological to do in Townsville?

        None that I know of. Herp' related wise I think there
        is a reptile park somewhere between the Sunshine coast
        and Townsville. Quite a bit of ground to cover there.
        Not much else. :-(

        I've just moved back to Melbourne from the Gold Coast and
        am amazed at the way things have changed in terms of herp
        sales etc. Really taken off it would seem.

        Scott Kane
        (Manager Software Development)
        MicroNexus Software Australia
        http://www.micronexus.com.au
      • David WIlliams
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
          Hire a car and drive out to Mengela on the Charters Towers Road - it's
          about a 45 minute drive.

          Anyway after you get off the flat country, the road heads up a granite
          range, and just at the top is a turn to the left, which goes to the
          Mengela Pub. If you get there, you've gone to far :-)

          able to see the remains of the railway line running through the paddocks
          in either direction. Sus out both sides - there are literally hundreds
          of Storr's monitors living in the area and many use the sleepers as
          convenient hiding spots. Just roll the sleepers and be ready to dive on
          the little buggers!

          btw, they don't usually scarper off into the scrub either - most of the
          time they just run straight back under the sleeper you just rolled, and
          occasionally, they'll try and run up the leg of your trousers....

          About half way back to Townsville you'll see another road (major sealed
          road that is) that runs off to your right - it's a good spot lighting
          road for carpets, waters and the like, and also good for taipans early
          in the morning! If you follow it through it eventually meets the Bruce
          Highway about 40 kms south of Townsville.

          Another spot are the sand dunes at Pallerandra (sic)- great for
          everything from green tree snakes and taipans to common browns,
          sometimes death adders and lots of sand monitors.

          Try also black river road - drive out past the Willows shopping centre
          and follow that road - Hervey Range Road, then on the way back from
          there, Black River Road is off to the left, and meets the Bruce Highway,
          north of Townsville.

          Bluewater is 55 kms north of Townsville on the Bruce Highway -> good for
          taipans, frilled lizards, spotted tree monitors and water pythons, and
          lastly Paluma is 80 kms from Townsville - a left turn off the Bruce
          Highway and up into the rainforest. One of the great old herper Roy
          Mackay and his wife run a teahouse there and he is well worth talking
          too.

          Cheers

          David

          >Hi,
          >
          >It looks like I have to got to Townsville as a witness in a court case.
          >will probably have very little spare time however if possible it would
          be
          >nice to make the most of the trip.
          >
          >Does anybody know if there is anything herpetological to do in
          Townsville?

          >Regards
          >
          >John
        • Andrew Walker
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
            >None that I know of. Herp' related wise I think there
            >is a reptile park somewhere between the Sunshine coast
            >and Townsville. Quite a bit of ground to cover there.
            >Not much else. :-(
            >
            >I've just moved back to Melbourne from the Gold Coast and
            >am amazed at the way things have changed in terms of herp
            >sales etc. Really taken off it would seem.
            >
            >Scott Kane
            >(Manager Software Development)
            >MicroNexus Software Australia
            >http://www.micronexus.com.au

            Scott, welcome back!! We missed you! Things in Vic have taken off in the
            herp world and we are very "lucky" compared to most states. It is however
            frustrating to have an accepted list of species that is so small. So many
            great animals being bred interstate that cannot be kept here because they
            are not on "the" list.
            Regards Andrew
            walker@...
          • Marno
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
              Are the stories about the wildlife officers up here being really corrupt and
              stealing reptiles true. I am wanting to set up with a python and I am
              wondering if if it is worthwhile to be aboveboard about it.

              Scott Kane - MSA wrote:

              > From: "Scott Kane - MSA" <manager@...>
              >
              > John,
              >
              > > It looks like I have to got to Townsville as a
              > > witness in a court case. I
              > > will probably have very little spare time however
              > > if possible it would be
              > > nice to make the most of the trip.
              >
              > Don't let the Qld gov' know you're a Herper... :-)
              >
              > > Does anybody know if there is anything
              > > herpetological to do in Townsville?
              >
              > None that I know of. Herp' related wise I think there
              > is a reptile park somewhere between the Sunshine coast
              > and Townsville. Quite a bit of ground to cover there.
              > Not much else. :-(
              >
              > I've just moved back to Melbourne from the Gold Coast and
              > am amazed at the way things have changed in terms of herp
              > sales etc. Really taken off it would seem.
              >
              > Scott Kane
              > (Manager Software Development)
              > MicroNexus Software Australia
              > http://www.micronexus.com.au

            • Scott Kane - MSA
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                > Scott, welcome back!! We missed you! Things in
                > Vic have taken off in the
                > herp world and we are very "lucky" compared to
                > most states.

                Agreed 100%. :-) Thanks for the welcome home.
                It is good to be back. Will have to acclimatise
                though - as I'm showing a tendency towards hibernation
                with the temps... :-)

                >It is however
                > frustrating to have an accepted list of species
                > that is so small. So many
                > great animals being bred interstate that cannot
                > be kept here because they
                > are not on "the" list.

                Perhaps this will improve now that things seem to be
                headed towards a little more professionalism? Here's
                hoping anyway.

                Cheers

                Scott
              • Scott Kane - MSA
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                  Marno,

                  > Are the stories about the wildlife officers up
                  > here being really corrupt and
                  > stealing reptiles true. I am wanting to set up
                  > with a python and I am
                  > wondering if if it is worthwhile to be aboveboard
                  > about it.

                  I would certainly be above board with it. If I recall
                  correctly the alernative is a big fine and the option
                  of jail... I think you'd be OK with a Carpet Python
                  or something like that. Fairly common and safe currently
                  from being endangered. I might be wrong - but the horror
                  stories seem to relate more to the rarer specimens...

                  I apologise for my comment if it confused you. I would
                  say however that they make it difficult to get licensed in
                  Qld.
                  I had to make no less than 6 requests before the doc's were
                  sent to me.

                  Scott
                • John Fowler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 6, 1998
                    David WIlliams wrote:

                    > From: "David WIlliams" <oxyuranus@...>
                    >
                    > Hire a car and drive out to Mengela on the Charters Towers Road - it's
                    > about a 45 minute drive.
                    >
                    > Anyway after you get off the flat country, the road heads up a granite
                    > range, and just at the top is a turn to the left, which goes to the
                    > Mengela Pub. If you get there, you've gone to far :-)

                    > able to see the remains of the railway line running through the paddocks
                    > in either direction. Sus out both sides - there are literally hundreds
                    > of Storr's monitors living in the area and many use the sleepers as
                    > convenient hiding spots. Just roll the sleepers and be ready to dive on
                    > the little buggers!
                    >
                    > btw, they don't usually scarper off into the scrub either - most of the
                    > time they just run straight back under the sleeper you just rolled, and
                    > occasionally, they'll try and run up the leg of your trousers....
                    >
                    > About half way back to Townsville you'll see another road (major sealed
                    > road that is) that runs off to your right - it's a good spot lighting
                    > road for carpets, waters and the like, and also good for taipans early
                    > in the morning! If you follow it through it eventually meets the Bruce
                    > Highway about 40 kms south of Townsville.
                    >
                    > Another spot are the sand dunes at Pallerandra (sic)- great for
                    > everything from green tree snakes and taipans to common browns,
                    > sometimes death adders and lots of sand monitors.
                    >
                    > Try also black river road - drive out past the Willows shopping centre
                    > and follow that road - Hervey Range Road, then on the way back from
                    > there, Black River Road is off to the left, and meets the Bruce Highway,
                    > north of Townsville.
                    >
                    > Bluewater is 55 kms north of Townsville on the Bruce Highway -> good for
                    > taipans, frilled lizards, spotted tree monitors and water pythons, and
                    > lastly Paluma is 80 kms from Townsville - a left turn off the Bruce
                    > Highway and up into the rainforest. One of the great old herper Roy
                    > Mackay and his wife run a teahouse there and he is well worth talking
                    > too.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > David
                    >
                    > >Hi,
                    > >
                    > >It looks like I have to got to Townsville as a witness in a court case.
                    > >will probably have very little spare time however if possible it would
                    > be
                    > >nice to make the most of the trip.
                    > >
                    > >Does anybody know if there is anything herpetological to do in
                    > Townsville?
                    > >
                    > >Regards
                    > >
                    > >John

                    Sounds good, I hope I can change flight times so that I get some time to
                    do that.
                  • Nicholas Robson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2000
                      Anyone else here from the best corner of the country? :)

                      That should stir some sentiment! hehe
                      Nic
                    • hoplocephalus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2002
                        Dear Herps,
                        Hey anyone keep any venomous snakes in the Townsville Area

                        From, Dane