Re: [aussiehwys] The Worst Rounabout

  • Bradley Torr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      > From: henderson777@...
      > To: aussiehwys@yahoogroups.com

      > I've added a photo of what must be the worst designed roundabout in
      > the world, located in Britain, in the files section. As far as I can
      > tell, it is a genuine picture of a real location. Perhaps the RTA
      > isn't as bad as we think?!?

      Yeeouch.

      The worst roundabout that I have actually seen has to be the one at the
      intersection of Seven Hills Road and Old Windsor Road (Metroad 2) just
      north of the end of the M2 Motorway. The RTA has recently widened the Old
      Windsor Road north of here from 2 lanes to 4 lanes dual carriageway, and
      this poxy roundabout is still allowed to defile this new road, complete
      with those dorky 'ROUNDABOUT OPERATING / SIGNALS OPERATING' traffic lights.

      I mean, from observation it's pretty obvious that roundabouts work only up
      to a certain point. Every roundabout that I can think of that has been
      replaced with a traffic light has benefit from increased throguhput and
      better and fairer handling of congestion from each direction. (The best
      example of which is Nuwarra Road and Heathcote Road, Holsworthy).
      Roundabouts are great on residential low-traffic roads, but do
      monstrosities like on Old Windsor Road really belong on a major Metroad in
      the fastest growing sector of metro Sydney? I don't think so.... I'd like
      to see statistics on this too (that's something for the next time I take
      the trip up to the State Library of NSW in central Sydney, or the RTA
      Technology Library in Rosebery).

      Roundabouts are starting to gain popularity in America too, though from
      what I can tell, they seem to be restricted to low-traffic roads. Many old
      arterial roads, particularly in the Northeast, have 'traffic circles' but
      these aren't roundabouts.

      </soapbox>

      Are there any other major examples of where a roundabout has been ripped up
      and replaced with a traffic light? If so, has congestion gotten better?

      Regards
      BT
    • Bradley Torr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        > From: henderson777@...
        > To: aussiehwys@yahoogroups.com

        > I've added a photo of what must be the worst designed roundabout in
        > the world, located in Britain, in the files section. As far as I can
        > tell, it is a genuine picture of a real location. Perhaps the RTA
        > isn't as bad as we think?!?

        Oh, and.....

        The roundabout in that photograph is called a 'Magic Roundabout' - it's
        basically a large roundabout where traffic goes around in both directions
        around the roundabout, and traffic movement conflicts on each 'leg' of the
        roundabout is governed by a smaller roundabout. There are two that I know
        of - one in Hemel Hempstead, Herts and one in Swindon, Wilts.

        Regards
        BT
      • henderson777@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
          --- In aussiehwys@y..., "Bradley Torr" <humehwy@d...> wrote:

          > The worst roundabout that I have actually seen has to be the one at
          the
          > intersection of Seven Hills Road and Old Windsor Road (Metroad 2)
          just
          > north of the end of the M2 Motorway. The RTA has recently widened
          the Old
          > Windsor Road north of here from 2 lanes to 4 lanes dual
          carriageway, and
          > this poxy roundabout is still allowed to defile this new road,
          complete
          > with those dorky 'ROUNDABOUT OPERATING / SIGNALS OPERATING' traffic
          lights.

          > I mean, from observation it's pretty obvious that roundabouts work
          only up
          > to a certain point. Every roundabout that I can think of that has
          been
          > replaced with a traffic light has benefit from increased throguhput
          and
          > better and fairer handling of congestion from each direction.

          I'll second all of that. Multiple lane roundabouts simply don't work -
          many motorists seem to find them confusing, and I recall reading
          that the NRMA ranked the Old Windsor Rd/Seven Hills roundabout as one
          of the worst traffic blackspots (accident sites) in the city. I hope
          that when the WSO is built, the first 1km or so west of existing
          terminus of the M2 will not be tolled, allowing a proper interchange
          with Old Windsor Rd, which should remove a significant proportion of
          traffic from the Seven Hills Rd/Old Windsor Rd roundabout.

          > Are there any other major examples of where a roundabout has been
          ripped up
          > and replaced with a traffic light? If so, has congestion gotten
          better?

          Could be wrong, but I think the Homebush Bay Drive/Australia Ave
          intersection was a multi lane roundabout replaced with a flyover and
          (from memory), a partially signallised arrangement below the flyover
          circa 1999. Could imagine the chaos this roundabout would have caused
          had it not been replaced before the Olympics?!?
          There is also a strong case for removing the two big multi-lane
          shockers on Waterloo Rd (at Khartoum Rd and Byfield St) in the North
          Ryde/Macquarie Pk high-tech business precinct. North Ryde, especially
          Ryde Rd's intersections with both Waterloo and Talvera Rds, has
          suffered from bad traffic congestion since about 1998, when the area
          started to become the fashionable place for computer and
          pharmacutical companies to locate their R&D facilities.

          Regards, Jamie Henderson.
        • Lachlan A Sims
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
            --- Bradley Torr <humehwy@...> wrote:
            > Are there any other major examples of where a
            > roundabout has been ripped up
            > and replaced with a traffic light? If so, has
            > congestion gotten better?

            This occurrence has been quite common in Queensland in
            recent years. There are several formerly roundabouted
            intersections I can think of that were once tiny
            roundabouts (almost impossible for large trucks to
            negotiate) that are now more efficiently operating as
            signalised intersections.

            2 that come to mind offhand are:
            City Rd/Logan St, Beenleigh
            Kremzow Rd/Leitchs Rd, Brendale

            Regards,
            Lachlan

            =====
            Lachlan Sims
            lockstar@...

            http://www.geocities.com/lockstar/wworah.html

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Lachlan A Sims
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
              --- henderson777@... wrote:
              > There is also a strong case for removing the two big
              > multi-lane
              > shockers on Waterloo Rd (at Khartoum Rd and Byfield
              > St) in the North
              > Ryde/Macquarie Pk high-tech business precinct.

              Coincidentally, it was about the time that these 2
              super roundabouts were built that the little
              roundabout just north of here at Talavera Rd and
              Khartoum Rd was replaced with signals!

              Lachlan

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/