RE: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: Garratts

  • thirtyinchfan@pearcedale.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 1, 2009
      You are both right. VR did look at getting two more G
      class garratts, and also looked at broad gauge
      garratts on at least two occasions. One was for
      passenger garratts, the other for freight garratts
      for the Cudgewa(sp?) line because of the livestock
      abandoned when VR realised the length of train
      produced would have been too long for the passing
      sidings on the north-east main line. BP are known to
      have complained about the amount of money they had
      put into proposals for Aussie garratts, without
      resulting orders!

      Michael

      Your information is clearly different to mine !!

      Cheers

      Ian J

      --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Baxter"
      <hollywood@...> wrote:

      > Ian,
      >
      > As I remember the story, the 'proposed' Garratts
      were to be broad gauge, not narrow gauge.

      "ianj0trains" <ianaj@> wrote:

      > > John,
      > >
      > > If you're proposing to convert an NGG16 kit, you
      might want to try and build a model of G43 or 44,
      rather than 41 or 42. I say that only half tongue in
      cheek, am told VR apparently approached Beyer Peacock
      about the possibility of building another two
      Garratts for them, but as is often the case, nothing
      eventuated. Although I've heard this story repeated
      several times, over many years, I've never seen any
      evidence to verify its accuracy.

      > > However, I am told there is a book to be released
      later this year, (the author is a recognised
      authority on VR locomotives,)and it does include a
      drawing of the proposed locos. Given the, by then,
      known problems with the frames of G41 and G42 at the
      inner end of the engine units, the proposed locos
      were to be 2-6-2 + 2-6-2's. Thus the engine units of
      a 7mm model of an NGG16 might be very close to those
      that would have been built for the new engines.

      > > I have an unbuilt NGG16 myself which I have
      considered building as G43 or 44, so I'm awaiting the
      release of this book with interest.

      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Ian J

    • Geoff Baxter
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 1, 2009
        Well, there you go! I had actually heard: "BP are known to have complained about the amount of money they had put into proposals for Aussie garratts, without resulting orders!"

        So that explains it.

        Geoff