Re: Chivers / Colonial HOn30 VR Na class kit

  • charles schuster
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Michael,
      The NGDU plan is to 1/48. I checked my copy with a scale-rule.
      The AMRA plan is like you described, drawn to fit onto an A4 page.
      Sound advice on any published plan is to chech dimensions with a ruler!
      Cheers,
      Charles

      --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "" <thirtyinchfan@...> wrote:

> [...]
      scale but is reproduced to some close but undescribed scale. But it
      would be an easy matter with calculator and measuring device in hand
      to work out the scale, then work out the ratio needed to reproduce it
      to the desired scale.

      > Michael

    • charles schuster
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Glenn,
        If you send me your snail mail address off-list I can send you a copy
        of a plan of the "nA".
        Regards,
        Charles

        --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks for your response guys, does anyone have any tips for scratch
        > building an NA!? I'm not a rivet counter, just as long as I get the
        > overall proportions looking right and it runs slow & smooth makes me
        > happy - can anyone suggest a motor & gearbox combo or a source for a
        > plan?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Glenn Howe.

      • A C Lynn Zelmer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          I agree, Michael

          I've used plans from a variety of sources for articles in NGDU,
          convention notes, etc., and on the CaneSIG website... and found that
          all drawings, regardless of source, amateur or professional, need to
          be verified with a steel rule.

          Sometimes the 'error' is simply the result of fitting it to the page,
          at other times it can result from scaling errors in the hardware we
          are using. For example, my fairly expensive flatbed scanner does not
          scan all portions of an image equally... the equivalent of the
          problems that we have with parallel lines when taking a photo with a
          wide-angle lens.

          As well, our computer-based drawing programs allow us to introduce
          errors that are different from the errors introduced by hand drawings.

          I recently drew the plans for a small building, for example, and
          assembled components down the length of the building... sometimes
          using a copy/paste where the elements (windows) were identical. I
          ended up having to do some juggling to fit everything in as the line
          widths involved had added an extra six inches to the length of the
          wall. I should have been more careful, but if I hadn't caught the
          error I could have ended up with front and back walls of different
          lengths.

          Happy modelling,
          Lynn

          >Michael,
          >The NGDU plan is to 1/48. I checked my copy with a scale-rule.
          >The AMRA plan is like you described, drawn to fit onto an A4 page.
          >Sound advice on any published plan is to chech dimensions with a ruler!
          >Cheers,
          >Charles

          CaneSIG: http://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig
          A C Lynn Zelmer, Coordinator