Autum Joy

  • Toot222
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi all
      All those modellers who have the plant Sedium Autumn Joy would be now
      watching the plant produce it's flower heads.
      Anyone have any advice on how to convert this plant seed pods into nice
      looking trees.
      I do believe people have done this before, what do i do with the seed heads
      when do i cut them what's the best way to do this.
      For those of you who don't have this plant, go now to your local plant
      nursery
      and get your plant now.
      Regards in modelling
      Steve Chapman

    • William Uffelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
        From an email I sent to another group -- you will need to cut & paste the link

        http://www.narrowtracks.com/ minibunch/ index.htm will take you to the current issue of the Ohio based Mini-Bunch news. I have been a member for over 30 years -- just never get to participate in activities anymore. Any way there is a good deciduous tree building article in the newsletter -- just right for those modeling eastern locales.

        Bill Uffelman
        Las Vegas NV

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hi
          When you find the article post it will you.
          Thanks
          Steve C

          On 02/03/2008, William Uffelman <ufffam@...> wrote:

          > From an email I sent to another group -- you will need to cut & paste the
          > link
          >
          > http://www.narrowtracks.com/ minibunch/ index.htm will take you to the
          > current issue of the Ohio based Mini-Bunch news. I have been a member for
          > over 30 years -- just never get to participate in activities anymore. Any
          > way there is a good deciduous tree building article in the newsletter --
          > just right for those modeling eastern locales.
          >
          > Bill Uffelman
          > Las Vegas NV
          >

          > Toot222 <Toot222@...> wrote:
          > Hi all
          > All those modellers who have the plant Sedium Autumn Joy would be now
          > watching the plant produce it's flower heads.
          > Anyone have any advice on how to convert this plant seed pods into nice
          > looking trees.
          > I do believe people have done this before, what do i do with the seed
          > heads
          > when do i cut them what's the best way to do this.
          > For those of you who don't have this plant, go now to your local plant
          > nursery
          > and get your plant now.
          > Regards in modelling
          > Steve Chapman

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Khris
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
            http://www.narrowtracks.com/minibunch/newsletters/newsletter2008-02.pdf

            khris

            Toot222 wrote:

            > Hi
            > When you find the article post it will you.
            > Thanks
            > Steve C
            >
            > On 02/03/2008, William Uffelman <ufffam@...
            > <mailto:ufffam%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            > >
            > > From an email I sent to another group -- you will need to cut &
            > paste the
            > > link
            > >
            > > http://www.narrowtracks.com/ <http://www.narrowtracks.com/>
            > minibunch/ index.htm will take you to the
            > > current issue of the Ohio based Mini-Bunch news. I have been a
            > member for
            > > over 30 years -- just never get to participate in activities
            > anymore. Any
            > > way there is a good deciduous tree building article in the newsletter --
            > > just right for those modeling eastern locales.
            > >
            > > Bill Uffelman
            > > Las Vegas NV
            > >

            > > Toot222 <Toot222@... <mailto:Toot222%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > > Hi all
            > > All those modellers who have the plant Sedium Autumn Joy would be now
            > > watching the plant produce it's flower heads.
            > > Anyone have any advice on how to convert this plant seed pods into nice
            > > looking trees.
            > > I do believe people have done this before, what do i do with the seed
            > > heads
            > > when do i cut them what's the best way to do this.
            > > For those of you who don't have this plant, go now to your local plant
            > > nursery
            > > and get your plant now.
            > > Regards in modelling
            > > Steve Chapman

          • Toot222
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
              Hi
              Thanks looks interesting.
              Steve

              On 02/03/2008, Khris <kandc.au@...> wrote:

              > http://www.narrowtracks.com/minibunch/newsletters/newsletter2008-02.pdf
              >
              > khris
              >
              > Toot222 wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi
              > > When you find the article post it will you.
              > > Thanks
              > > Steve C
              > >
              > > On 02/03/2008, William Uffelman <ufffam@...
              > > <mailto:ufffam%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > From an email I sent to another group -- you will need to cut &
              > > paste the
              > > > link
              > > >
              > > > http://www.narrowtracks.com/ <http://www.narrowtracks.com/>
              > > minibunch/ index.htm will take you to the
              > > > current issue of the Ohio based Mini-Bunch news. I have been a
              > > member for
              > > > over 30 years -- just never get to participate in activities
              > > anymore. Any
              > > > way there is a good deciduous tree building article in the newsletter
              > --
              > > > just right for those modeling eastern locales.
              > > >
              > > > Bill Uffelman
              > > > Las Vegas NV
              > > >

              > > > Toot222 <Toot222@... <mailto:Toot222%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > > > Hi all
              > > > All those modellers who have the plant Sedium Autumn Joy would be now
              > > > watching the plant produce it's flower heads.
              > > > Anyone have any advice on how to convert this plant seed pods into
              > nice
              > > > looking trees.
              > > > I do believe people have done this before, what do i do with the seed
              > > > heads
              > > > when do i cut them what's the best way to do this.
              > > > For those of you who don't have this plant, go now to your local plant
              > > > nursery
              > > > and get your plant now.
              > > > Regards in modelling
              > > > Steve Chapman

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rod Hutchinson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
                Hi Steve,

                Allow the plants to flower and enjoy them while they last. Eventually
                the seeds will appear. Allow the seeds to disappear completely until
                you have a dead looking plant. Leaves falling from the stalk is a good
                sign.

                (If you take the nice green leaves off now, and plant them in a potting
                mix they may grow in to a plant.)

                Cut the flowers at the base flush with the ground surface. Remove all
                the leaves. Stand all the flower heads with stalks attached into a tin
                or vase of some kind and allow to dry.

                The remains of the plant left in the ground will grow & flower again
                next season.

                The article in the PDF tells you how to flock the heads.
                http://www.narrowtracks.com/minibunch/newsletters/newsletter2008-02.pdf
                However If you use the sedum heads as described they look a bit toy
                like.

                What I do is get two or three flower heads and bind the stalks with
                florist tape but masking tape will do. Set the heads at different
                heights so they appear to you to simulate a gum tree.

                Cover the tape with a mix of water putty and PVA glue, and paint to suit
                when dry. You should get a nice looking tree.

                I have a photo of some Sedum "Autumn Joy" plants made to look like gum
                trees in
                Photo Albums > rod Hutchinson
                And at http://nmradiv3.fotopic.net/c1388436_1.html

                Regards