Harman Locomotive Wheels [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • Rod Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1 4:01 AM
      Can anyone tell me the diameter of the Harman Locomotive wheels please?

      Regards
      Rod Hutchinson

    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1 9:38 AM
        I get 28" by measurement on the 1/48 drawing in V15-2 Mainline
        magazine [apr-98], using the truck axle centers at 3'-6" as reference
        with a HO-O scale caliper.

        Best to ya'
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee Wi, USA

        On Jun 1, 2007, at 6:01 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me the diameter of the Harman Locomotive wheels
        > please?
        >
        > Regards
        > Rod Hutchinson
      • Rod Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1 7:39 PM
          Hi Mike,

          Thank you. I finally found my reference notes -
          Stuckey E.G., 1972, "The Harman Geared Locomotive", Light Railways #42 Summer 1972-73, LRRSA.

          Your measurements are quite close. According to the above article the wheels are 28.5" in diameter. Thank you for taking the time to look it up.

          Regards
          Rod Hutchinson
          Melbourne, Australia.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1 9:35 PM
            You're very welcome.

            I had it near-by since I'm thinking of getting back into making one
            for myself. As I recall, it takes a 'USA' standard 'B' N-scale diesel
            truck to be properly axle-spaced in the trucks for HOn30. I think I'd
            find the same with a HO diesel truck and an On30 model.

            Best to ya'
            Mike Bauers
            Milwaukee Wi, USA

            On Jun 1, 2007, at 9:39 PM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > Thank you. I finally found my reference notes -
            > Stuckey E.G., 1972, "The Harman Geared Locomotive", Light Railways
            > #42 Summer 1972-73, LRRSA.
            >
            > Your measurements are quite close. According to the above article
            > the wheels are 28.5" in diameter. Thank you for taking the time to
            > look it up.
            >
            > Regards
            > Rod Hutchinson
            > Melbourne, Australia.
            >>
            >> I get 28" by measurement on the 1/48 drawing in V15-2 Mainline
            >> magazine [apr-98], using the truck axle centers at 3'-6" as reference
            >> with a HO-O scale caliper.
          • Rod Hutchinson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1 11:23 PM
              Hi Mike,

              I have been in touch with Geoff Baxter from Hollywood Foundry. We are trying to find some solutions using his products, but getting down to a 3' 6" wheelbase is proving a challenge in HO. It would be easy in O. Geoff also has some nice gearboxes which you may find interesting. Hollywood Foundry solutions for motors and bogies are here http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/

              There is some nice pictures of the Harman done in 1:20.3 scale http://4largescale.com/fletch/d30a.htm

              Regards
              Rod Hutchinson
              Melbourne, Australia.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2 7:30 PM
                  I see my memory was off on this..........

                  That would have been a 9' wheelbase n-scale truck that then becomes a
                  5.5' HO scale power truck........ Just wrong for this engine.

                  However, I would have no miss-givings about stripping out the works
                  from a pair of Kato N-scale power trucks and re-positioning those
                  between two plates like the classic Athearn power trucks......... to
                  have the proper wheelbase.

                  A stiff mechanics divider would handle most of the 'translations'.

                  Use a tough plastic sheet material for the plates and you'll have a
                  insulated truck needing electrical wipers. That at least wouldn't
                  easily short-out.

                  All intermediate gears would have to be shifted up and in making a
                  taller gear 'tower'. But it would work as long as you use the same
                  center to center distances from gear to gear........ as found in the
                  original power truck.

                  Best to ya'
                  Mike Bauers
                  Milwaukee Wi, USA

                  On Jun 2, 2007, at 1:40 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:

                  > Mike,
                  >
                  > Can you give some more info on the 'USA' standard 'B' N-scale
                  > diesel please?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Rod Hutchinson
                  > Melbourne, Australia.
                  >

                  > You're very welcome.
                  >
                  > I had it near-by since I'm thinking of getting back into making one
                  > for myself. As I recall, it takes a 'USA' standard 'B' N-scale diesel
                  > truck to be properly axle-spaced in the trucks for HOn30. I think I'd
                  > find the same with a HO diesel truck and an On30 model.
                  >

                  > Best to ya'
                  > Mike Bauers
                • Rod Hutchinson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3 12:40 AM
                    Hi Mike,

                    One of my colleagues (the Prof) has suggested I can kit bash a power truck tower. I am not all that keen on the idea; what with little gears rolling all over the place. I like Geoff Baxter's power-transmissions so I would rather go down the Hollywood Foundry road, if Geoff can humour me.

                    Geoff is trying to make a fit for his "Gozunder" bogie to get the axle spacing down to 3' 6" in HO. This is a closer axle spacing than is normally available from his web site, unless you can do without the side frame support. He is hopeful, but there is nothing definite as yet.

                    If I can combine the "Gozunder" with one of his gearbox/motor set ups I can get a ratio of 27.1 at wheels. That ratio should provide reasonably slow speed performance.

                    http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/default.htm <http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/default.htm>

                    Regards
                    Rod Hutchinson
                    Melbourne, Australia.

                    ________________________________

                    I see my memory was off on this..........

                    That would have been a 9' wheelbase n-scale truck that then becomes a
                    5.5' HO scale power truck........ Just wrong for this engine.

                    However, I would have no miss-givings about stripping out the works
                    from a pair of Kato N-scale power trucks and re-positioning those
                    between two plates like the classic Athearn power trucks......... to
                    have the proper wheelbase.

                    A stiff mechanics divider would handle most of the 'translations'.

                    Use a tough plastic sheet material for the plates and you'll have a
                    insulated truck needing electrical wipers. That at least wouldn't
                    easily short-out.

                    All intermediate gears would have to be shifted up and in making a
                    taller gear 'tower'. But it would work as long as you use the same
                    center to center distances from gear to gear........ as found in the
                    original power truck.

                    Best to ya'
                    Mike Bauers
                    Milwaukee Wi, USA

                    On Jun 2, 2007, at 1:40 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:

                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > Can you give some more info on the 'USA' standard 'B' N-scale
                    > diesel please?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Rod Hutchinson
                    > Melbourne, Australia.
                    >

                    > You're very welcome.
                    >
                    > I had it near-by since I'm thinking of getting back into making one
                    > for myself. As I recall, it takes a 'USA' standard 'B' N-scale diesel
                    > truck to be properly axle-spaced in the trucks for HOn30. I think I'd
                    > find the same with a HO diesel truck and an On30 model.
                    >

                    > Best to ya'
                    > Mike Bauers

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mike Bauers
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3 11:05 AM
                      Well keep the idea of the re-done drive truck for something in the
                      future.

                      It does look like the modular construction of the Hollywood drive
                      will work with the right support tube and bolster.

                      This model just won't be an off the shelf drive.

                      Do it the Apple Way......... Think Different!

                      Best to ya'
                      Mike Bauers
                      Milwaukee Wi, USA

                      On Jun 3, 2007, at 2:40 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:

                      > Hi Mike,
                      >
                      > One of my colleagues (the Prof) has suggested I can kit bash a
                      > power truck tower. I am not all that keen on the idea; what with
                      > little gears rolling all over the place. I like Geoff Baxter's
                      > power-transmissions so I would rather go down the Hollywood Foundry
                      > road, if Geoff can humour me.
                    • Professor Klyzlr
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3 4:09 PM
                        Dear Mike, Rod,

                        A "to scale" On30 Harman is totally possible with Black Beetle power
                        trucks, as seen on "Nine Mile".

                        A HOn30 unit is harder, esp is the short axle spacing trucks are
                        critical. Life Like SW1200 trucks CAN be "short geared" by dropping 2
                        idler gears out of the truck towers, (It's be done, run, won, and
                        proven under show conditions).

                        Of course, following the Steve Cullen "Looks close enough" school of
                        Modelling, there are a number of smooth running N scale diesel mechs
                        that have their "outside axles" in the right place, (IE the overall
                        length of the unit is correct, the trucks just extend inboard maybe a
                        touch too far, thus shortening the "belly water tank"), that can make
                        into a "credible" model without too much stress, or compromise.

                        (Show me a modeller who never made a compromise on their models,
                        and I'll show you a bloke who has never built a model... ;-) ).

                        If Hollywood Foundry can come to the party with a "RTR" version,
                        that's great, but it's not the only, nor is it the cheapest solution.

                        Happy Modelling,
                        Aim to Improve,
                        Prof Klyzlr

                        --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Well keep the idea of the re-done drive truck for something in the
                        > future.
                        >
                        > It does look like the modular construction of the Hollywood drive
                        > will work with the right support tube and bolster.
                        >
                        > This model just won't be an off the shelf drive.
                        >
                        > Do it the Apple Way......... Think Different!
                        >
                        > Best to ya'
                        > Mike Bauers
                        > Milwaukee Wi, USA
                        >

                        > On Jun 3, 2007, at 2:40 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi Mike,
                        > >
                        > > One of my colleagues (the Prof) has suggested I can kit bash a
                        > > power truck tower. I am not all that keen on the idea; what with
                        > > little gears rolling all over the place. I like Geoff Baxter's
                        > > power-transmissions so I would rather go down the Hollywood
                        Foundry
                        > > road, if Geoff can humour me.

                      • Mike Bauers
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3 5:33 PM
                          I remember now........

                          It's that line of N-scale trolley drives that are exactly the same
                          truck-axle wheelbase as the RGS Geese in HO.......... which is that
                          same 3'-6" spacing as the Harmon if used in HO scale........ I recall
                          there are two makes, one of which is Kato...... is the other Mokei ???

                          We just might have suitable power trucks in N-scale for this.........
                          Wrong wheels, but that might be only major problem.

                          Best to ya'
                          Mike Bauers
                          Milwaukee Wi, USA

                          On Jun 3, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Professor Klyzlr wrote:

                          > Dear Mike, Rod,
                          >
                          > A "to scale" On30 Harman is totally possible with Black Beetle power
                          > trucks, as seen on "Nine Mile".
                          >
                          > A HOn30 unit is harder, esp is the short axle spacing trucks are
                          > critical. Life Like SW1200 trucks CAN be "short geared" by dropping 2
                          > idler gears out of the truck towers, (It's be done, run, won, and
                          > proven under show conditions).
                          >
                          > Of course, following the Steve Cullen "Looks close enough" school of
                          > Modelling, there are a number of smooth running N scale diesel mechs
                          > that have their "outside axles" in the right place, (IE the overall
                          > length of the unit is correct, the trucks just extend inboard maybe a
                          > touch too far, thus shortening the "belly water tank"), that can make
                          > into a "credible" model without too much stress, or compromise.
                          >
                          > (Show me a modeller who never made a compromise on their models,
                          > and I'll show you a bloke who has never built a model... ;-) ).
                          >
                          > If Hollywood Foundry can come to the party with a "RTR" version,
                          > that's great, but it's not the only, nor is it the cheapest solution.
                          >
                          > Happy Modelling,
                          > Aim to Improve,
                          > Prof Klyzlr
                          >

                          > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Well keep the idea of the re-done drive truck for something in the
                          >> future.
                          >>
                          >> It does look like the modular construction of the Hollywood drive
                          >> will work with the right support tube and bolster.
                          >>
                          >> This model just won't be an off the shelf drive.
                          >>
                          >> Do it the Apple Way......... Think Different!
                          >>
                          >> Best to ya'
                          >> Mike Bauers
                          >> Milwaukee Wi, USA
                          >>

                          >> On Jun 3, 2007, at 2:40 AM, Rod Hutchinson wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hi Mike,
                          >>>
                          >>> One of my colleagues (the Prof) has suggested I can kit bash a
                          >>> power truck tower. I am not all that keen on the idea; what with
                          >>> little gears rolling all over the place. I like Geoff Baxter's
                          >>> power-transmissions so I would rather go down the Hollywood
                          > Foundry
                          >>> road, if Geoff can humour me.
                        • Professor Klyzlr
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3 7:07 PM
                            Dear Mike,

                            You sure you're not thinking about the GreenMax Power chassis?

                            If your Japanese is better than mine

                            http://www.greenmax.co.jp

                            or alternatively, head to Google's web translator tools,

                            http://www.google.com.au/language_tools?hl=en

                            and tranlate the above link.

                            I note that GreenMax chassis are used under license by Kato, Tomix,
                            and other Japanese MRR manufacturers to replicate the shorty axle
                            spacing railcar mechs of the country's passenger systems.

                            Happy Modelling,
                            Am to Improve,

                            wrote:

                            > I remember now........
                            >
                            > It's that line of N-scale trolley drives that are exactly the same
                            > truck-axle wheelbase as the RGS Geese in HO.......... which is
                            that
                            > same 3'-6" spacing as the Harmon if used in HO scale........ I
                            recall
                            > there are two makes, one of which is Kato...... is the other
                            Mokei ???

                            > We just might have suitable power trucks in N-scale for
                            this.........
                            > Wrong wheels, but that might be only major problem.
                            >
                            > Best to ya'
                            > Mike Bauers
                            > Milwaukee Wi, USA
                            >

                            > On Jun 3, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Professor Klyzlr wrote:
                            >
                            > > Dear Mike, Rod,
                            > >
                            > > A "to scale" On30 Harman is totally possible with Black Beetle
                            power
                            > > trucks, as seen on "Nine Mile".
                            > >
                            > > A HOn30 unit is harder, esp is the short axle spacing trucks are
                            > > critical. Life Like SW1200 trucks CAN be "short geared" by
                            dropping 2
                            > > idler gears out of the truck towers, (It's be done, run, won, and
                            > > proven under show conditions).
                            > >
                            > > Of course, following the Steve Cullen "Looks close enough" school
                            of
                            > > Modelling, there are a number of smooth running N scale diesel
                            mechs
                            > > that have their "outside axles" in the right place, (IE the
                            overall
                            > > length of the unit is correct, the trucks just extend inboard
                            maybe a
                            > > touch too far, thus shortening the "belly water tank"), that can
                            make
                            > > into a "credible" model without too much stress, or compromise.
                            > >
                            > > (Show me a modeller who never made a compromise on their models,
                            > > and I'll show you a bloke who has never built a model... ;-) ).
                            > >
                            > > If Hollywood Foundry can come to the party with a "RTR" version,
                            > > that's great, but it's not the only, nor is it the cheapest
                            solution.

                            > > Happy Modelling,
                            > > Aim to Improve,
                            > > Prof Klyzlr
                            > >

                            > > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> Well keep the idea of the re-done drive truck for something in
                            the
                            > >> future.
                            > >>
                            > >> It does look like the modular construction of the Hollywood drive
                            > >> will work with the right support tube and bolster.
                            > >>
                            > >> This model just won't be an off the shelf drive.
                            > >>
                            > >> Do it the Apple Way......... Think Different!
                            > >>
                            > >> Best to ya'
                            > >> Mike Bauers
                            > >> Milwaukee Wi, USA

                            > > Foundry

                          • Mike Bauers
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3 7:33 PM
                              I've got print outs somewhere showing English speaking dealers of
                              those.......

                              I was able to find similar Tomix chassis..... in english

                              http://www.japanmodelrailways.com/shopenglish/

                              then............ Accessories for Railways N scale

                              and............. Motor-Chassis & Accessories for Tetsudo Collection

                              Click on the images for following pages with details of truck and
                              wheel centers.

                              And I see you tell me these should be the right ones........ I'll
                              make a note to look for Tomix next time.......

                              Thanks !!

                              Best to ya'
                              Mike Bauers
                              Milwaukee Wi, USA

                              On Jun 3, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Professor Klyzlr wrote:

                              > Dear Mike,
                              >
                              > You sure you're not thinking about the GreenMax Power chassis?
                              >
                              > If your Japanese is better than mine
                              >
                              > http://www.greenmax.co.jp
                              >
                              > or alternatively, head to Google's web translator tools,
                              >
                              > http://www.google.com.au/language_tools?hl=en
                              >
                              > and tranlate the above link.
                              >
                              > I note that GreenMax chassis are used under license by Kato, Tomix,
                              > and other Japanese MRR manufacturers to replicate the shorty axle
                              > spacing railcar mechs of the country's passenger systems.
                              >
                              > Happy Modelling,
                              > Am to Improve,
                              > Prof Klyzlr
                              >
                              > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I remember now........
                              >>
                              >> It's that line of N-scale trolley drives that are exactly the same
                              >> truck-axle wheelbase as the RGS Geese in HO.......... which is
                              > that
                              >> same 3'-6" spacing as the Harmon if used in HO scale........
                            • Geoff Baxter
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 3 8:40 PM
                                Hello Prof,

                                Strictly speaking, the Black Beetle would be a fraction too long in
                                the wheelbase, as a 3' 6" wheelbase scales out to 24.5mm in 7mm
                                scale, and the minimum wheelbase for a Black Beetle is 25.5mm.

                                But, as you say, compromises....

                                Regards,
                                Geoff Baxter

                                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Professor Klyzlr" <johnd@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Dear Mike, Rod,
                                >
                                > A "to scale" On30 Harman is totally possible with Black Beetle
                                power
                                > trucks, as seen on "Nine Mile".
                              • Rod Hutchinson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 4 1:02 AM
                                  Mike,

                                  You may be thinking of Modemo. They have a Trams series called NT.
                                  http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/modemo/MOD-NT.htm.
                                  They make trams with very small axle spacing. I have about three with axle spacing of 9mm = tad over 2' 6" in HO. I use the NT6 for a HO tram I am building.

                                  Regards
                                  Rod Hutchinson
                                  Melbourne, Australia.]