On30 RTR NA's

  • michael4472m
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
      Dear all,

      i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
      weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
      finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though well
      first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how the
      progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.

      Regards

      Michael Holian
    • Rod Hutchinson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
        Michael,

        What about modifying an On30 Climax to look like #1694, including the
        tapered boiler?

        Regards
        Rod Hutchinson
        Melbourne, Australia

        Subject: [ausnarrowgauge] On30 RTR NA's

        Dear all,

        i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
        weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
        finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though well
        first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how the
        progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.

        Regards

        Michael Holian
      • Michael4472
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
          yes that is the other loco i have planned but i am waiting on the bachmann climax to come from hong kong, i have organised for Peter mac to do it for me as i like the way his came up.

          Regards
          Michael Holian

          ---- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:
          > Michael,
          >
          > What about modifying an On30 Climax to look like #1694, including the
          > tapered boiler?
          >

          > Regards
          > Rod Hutchinson
          > Melbourne, Australia
          >
          > Subject: [ausnarrowgauge] On30 RTR NA's
          >
          > Dear all,
          >
          > i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
          > weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
          > finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though well
          > first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how the
          > progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Michael Holian
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
            Hi Michael,

            Peter Mac's doesn't have the tapered boiler. Are you going to consider
            that?

            Regards
            Rod Hutchinson
            Operations Manager
            Climate Data, National Climate Centre,
            Bureau of Meteorology, GPO Box 1289K, Melbourne, Victoria 3001,
            Australia
            Ph: +61 3 9669 4062; Fx: +61 3 9669 4760
            http://www.bom.gov.au

            yes that is the other loco i have planned but i am waiting on the
            bachmann climax to come from hong kong, i have organised for Peter mac
            to do it for me as i like the way his came up.

            Regards
            Michael Holian

            ---- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:
            > Michael,
            >
            > What about modifying an On30 Climax to look like #1694, including the
            > tapered boiler?
            >

            > Regards
            > Rod Hutchinson
            > Melbourne, Australia
            >
            > Subject: [ausnarrowgauge] On30 RTR NA's
            >
            > Dear all,
            >
            > i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
            > weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
            > finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though well

            > first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how the

            > progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Michael Holian
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • petermgrace
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2006
              The short answer on Na's is that we have spent the last week working
              on the patterns for the frames and that the project is slowly being
              worked on.

              A bit longer answer is that it is being produced in conjunction with
              another Baldwin loco, a 2-6-2 tender engine with nearly identical
              specs. The wheel spacing on the tender loco has been modified by 3" so
              we get the Na frames basically correct.

              On the subject of Qld Garratts, the production drawings for the 400
              class project are basically done and I hoped to have some test shots
              of some parts by May 1, but I dont think this is going to happen. But
              it is not far away. In doing it we have been studying the Qld Garratt
              to determine how to enable a conversion to be done. This project got a
              good boost when the Manchester Museum sent some plans of some 30
              Garratts a couple of weeks back.

              These plans are also helping us with the revisions to the range of
              brass Garratts in development. We have produced all the etches and
              parts for preproduction models of the following in On30 / On2 : NGG11
              (both old and new cabs), NGG16 (older version first with rounded top
              on the gin, not the flat one like on the 7mm Backwoods kits), Ceylon 2-
              0-0+0-4-2, the Nepal Garratts and the Darjeeling D class. It is our
              intention longer term to do the D class in plastic. These brass models
              will be follow ups to the G42 model produced.

              As to assembly and production of the brass Garratts, we are really
              busy on other projects right now so despite having most of the
              frames / cabs / shells soldered together on all Garratt preproduction
              models, I dont think we will get to finish the first of these models
              until about July and probably only have the first one, the NGG11 out
              in about September at the earliest. On each of them so far we have
              identified at least 90 corrections in terms of fine dimensions and the
              placement of rivets.

              Making any one of these is a detail nightmare, but anyone is welcome
              to come and help me go over the original plans and the preproduction
              models to get all things correct. I already went to Wales and took
              2000 photos of the NGG16s there and K1 on its first day in steam. I
              was lucky that the red NGG16 was all in pieces outside the shed. All
              this research takes time and money. I was lucky to get to Nepal when
              hostilities were at an all time low and find the Garratts there to
              photograph. I went to Ceylon but I think the small Garratts are long
              gone althought there is a rumour of one in the weeds beside a loco
              shed. I would like to go to South Africa to photograph a NGG11 there.
              I believe there is at least one restored.

              I hope that everyone who reads this may come to understand over time
              that the production of these does not happen to an exact schedule. You
              get going on one and the designer leaves... it may take 2-3 months
              before a new designer is up to speed on the project. Then we have
              contract jobs that come in and these get first priority. Every time I
              promise this job or that on a date.... something goes wrong. I really
              should say nothing at all.

              However, we have just established a whole new facility and team to
              assmble brass products, how long it takes them to get up to speed in
              terms of volume... I dont know.

              On other another subject I travelled to Kurduvadi to visit the Barsi
              Light Railway and tour the workshops two weeks ago. Then last weekend
              I tried to ride a motorbike up the roadbed of the old metre gauge line
              south of Pune to Miraj, this line clings to the side of the mountains
              to the east of here rising up through twisting gorges, over beautiful
              old viaducts and through bluestone lined tunnels. Outside there is
              sagebush and dust, about 40 degrees in the shade if you can find it.

              All in all interesting times in the middle of India.

              Peter Grace

              > Dear all,
              >
              > i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
              > weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
              > finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though
              well
              > first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how
              the
              > progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Michael Holian

            • petermgrace
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2006
> [...]

                I tried to ride a motorbike up the roadbed of the old metre gauge line
                south of Pune to Miraj, this line clings to the side of the mountains
                to the east of here rising up through twisting gorges, over beautiful
                old viaducts and through bluestone lined tunnels. Outside there is
                sagebush and dust, about 40 degrees in the shade if you can find it.

                All in all interesting times in the middle of India.

                Peter Grace

                > Dear all,
                >
                > i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
                > weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
                > finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though
                well
                > first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how
                the
                > progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.

              • petermgrace
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 7, 2006
> [...]

                  I tried to ride a motorbike up the roadbed of the old metre gauge line
                  south of Pune to Miraj, this line clings to the side of the mountains
                  to the east of here rising up through twisting gorges, over beautiful
                  old viaducts and through bluestone lined tunnels. Outside there is
                  sagebush and dust, about 40 degrees in the shade if you can find it.

                  All in all interesting times in the middle of India.

                  Peter Grace

                  > Dear all,
                  >
                  > i know i ask to same question every six months or so but the other
                  > weekend i had the honor of visiting Alan Rockets masterpiece and was
                  > finally well and trully bit by the VR narrow gauge bug and though
                  well
                  > first of all i need some motive power so i thought i would ask how
                  the
                  > progress on the On30 RTR NA's are going.

                • michael4472m
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
                    G'day all,

                    yes i know i keep asking this question but it has been over six months
                    since i last asked so i am asking again, are we any closer to RTR NA's
                    as my VR On30 frieght and Pass fleet is grow rapidly and needs a
                    couple of VR narrow gauge locos to go with them.

                    Regards

                    Michael Holian
                  • Mark K
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                      G'day Michael,
                      There are some narrow gauge items on the way (photos of samples seen), I
                      can't say what and don't know when or how much, but the NA's aren't amongst
                      the items that I'm aware of. I too would like one or more NA's when they do
                      get here.
                      Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
                      Mark K
                      On behalf of Redfern Models