Ida Bay 0-4-2

  • Peter M Grace
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      I have a copy of the drawing by Jim Fainges of the Ida Bay 0-4-2.

      Does anyone know where I can get more detailed version.

      Pete
    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Pete,

        Hunslet drawings are held at the Armley Mills Museum:

        http://www.leeds.gov.uk/armleymills/

        Cheers,

        Michael

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          Pete/Michael,

          As I have discovered, trying to get drawings from Armley Mills is very
          difficult. They are apparently under-resourced, so requests for
          drawings and the like can take months (years) to be filled. Some
          people have even suggested that email requests of this sort sent
          direct to the museum are simply ignored.

          Although I haven't yet seen anything, the best approach seems to be to
          make contact with someone who has contacts within the museum, and can
          arrange things personally. When I began trying to source my Avonside
          drawings (for Irvinebank) I posted a question to the yahoo group
          "NarrowGaugeDiscuss" and had a couple of bites from people who said
          they might help. Perhaps you should try the same thing Pete, although
          you will need more than just "Ida Bay 0-4-2". You would need to
          provide the builders number (1844 of 1936) in any request.

          It may also be sensible to contact Don River, who own the loco. They
          overhauled it relatively recently, and may have already obtained the
          drawings.

          John

          On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:36:37 +1000, "Michael Johnson"
          <thirtyinchfan@...> wrote:

          >Pete,
          >
          >Hunslet drawings are held at the Armley Mills Museum:
          >
          >http://www.leeds.gov.uk/armleymills/
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Michael

          John Dennis jdennis@...
          Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
          and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
          Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
          WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
        • Frank Savery
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            Peter,
            Quick question. If and when the Ida Bay Hunslet 0-4-2T became a reality,
            would it be 7mm or 1/4" scale ?
            If you were able to obtain a copy of the original Hunslet drawings it might
            answer the long vexed question as to wether the overall roof was ~ as built
            in the UK ~ or wether it was fitted in Tasmania as part of an early rebuild
            ~ maybe done in light of experience using the loco in a quarry situation.

            Cheers,
            Frank Savery,
            Chief Engineer and sweeper-upperer,
            King Island Tramway
            > As I have discovered, trying to get drawings from Armley Mills is very
            > difficult. They are apparently under-resourced, so requests for
            > drawings and the like can take months (years) to be filled. Some
            > people have even suggested that email requests of this sort sent
            > direct to the museum are simply ignored.
            >
            > Although I haven't yet seen anything, the best approach seems to be to
            > make contact with someone who has contacts within the museum, and can
            > arrange things personally. When I began trying to source my Avonside
            > drawings (for Irvinebank) I posted a question to the yahoo group
            > "NarrowGaugeDiscuss" and had a couple of bites from people who said
            > they might help. Perhaps you should try the same thing Pete, although
            > you will need more than just "Ida Bay 0-4-2". You would need to
            > provide the builders number (1844 of 1936) in any request.
            >
            > It may also be sensible to contact Don River, who own the loco. They
            > overhauled it relatively recently, and may have already obtained the
            > drawings.
            >
            > John
            >
            > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:36:37 +1000, "Michael Johnson"
            > <thirtyinchfan@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Pete,
            >>
            >>Hunslet drawings are held at the Armley Mills Museum:
            >>
            >>http://www.leeds.gov.uk/armleymills/
            >>
            >>Cheers,
            >>
            >>Michael

            > John Dennis jdennis@...
            > Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
            > and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
            > Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
            > WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • Michael Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
              John,

              That’s a pity. I found my own enquiry, about 2 years ago was answered
              promptly and directly. Maybe things have changed recently. Also I wonder
              if Hunslet records may be more assessable, given the company existed
              till quite recently (or does it still exist?)

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                Michael,

                It's possible that the Hunslet archives are catalogued better and
                therefore requests can be satisfied more easily. I also do believe
                that there have been cuts on the last couple of years.

                To quote one of my UK correspondents: "There is now no permanant
                employee familiar with the loco records, and this work is now
                undertaken on a voluntary basis by two Narrow Gauge Railway Society
                members, both of whom are well into their 70s and can only visit the
                museum a maximum of 1 day each week" It may be that the loco records
                he is mentioning are the "lesser" builders, as opposed to Hunslet,
                but I assumed that it was a fairly general statement.

                John

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                  A sad story repeated in museums worldwide. For instance I understand our
                  own Melbourne museum now has no expert in coins, and so it goes on.
                  "Fringe" experts are cut from staff, and expertise is lost forever.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Frank,

                    It will be done in 1:48, so will be a bit small for 7mm, but I will make the
                    roof easily removable for those who might wish to raise it higher or to do
                    the version with the full length roof.

                    I will contact the Don River folks and see if they can supply any material.

                    Pete
                  • Brian Millar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                      There use to be an 0-4-2 Hunslet loco out in front of the Pleystowe Mill for
                      years, some years ago it was moved to the rear of the mill due to its rusted
                      condition, I'm not sure but I think it got sold at one of the auctions that
                      Mackay Sugar has had in recent years.
                      Cheers

                      Ozybushlogger
                      Slooter's Sawmilling Co.
                      County of Rawbelle
                      Qld. Australia
                      Brian Millar [rallim56@...]
                      http://groups.msn.com/LoggersParadise

                      >From: "Peter M Grace" <peter.grace@...>
                      >To: <ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [ausnarrowgauge] Ida Bay 0-4-2
                      >Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:26:48 +1000
                      >
                      >Frank,
                      >
                      >It will be done in 1:48, so will be a bit small for 7mm, but I will make
                      >the
                      >roof easily removable for those who might wish to raise it higher or to do
                      >the version with the full length roof.
                      >
                      >I will contact the Don River folks and see if they can supply any material.
                      >
                      >Pete

                      SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
                      http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail