Very Interesting .......

  • Frank Savery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      G'Day All,
      Many of you will know something of the (almost) unique Listowel & Ballybunnion Railway which ran in County Kerry, Ireland in the first quarter of the 20th Century. This was a Lartigue monorail system, with the locomotives and rolling stock straddling a 3foot or so high track with the single rail resting on inverted vee supports. It really was a case of ...... " now for something completly different............."

      In Co. Kerry, a museum group have set up a full size operating reproduction of the lartigue complete with i/c powered reproduction twin boilered steam locomotive and passenger coaches which straddle the rails.

      It's a fascinating system and info can be found on these two websites :
      http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Listowel.html

      http://homepage.eircom.net/~lartiguemonorail

      Something you may be interested in is a 45-minute talk on the original and the restored/reproduced lartigue which is to broadcast on Radio Kerry :
      > "From the Desert to the Dunes" is a 45-minute story about the
      > original train, which ran from Listowel to Ballybunion between 1888
      > & 1924, and about the replica engine & carriages which were launched
      > in 2003 and run on 750m of track just outside Listowel as a tourist attraction

      Radio Kerry can be received on your computer via the internet, just go to :
      www.radiokerry.ie
      and follow the prompts to "listen now " ~ volume probably needs to be up on your computer as these internet broadcasts tend to be low in volume (I'm a regular listener of Radio Merseyside, from Liverpool, UK)
      The talk is to be broadcast at 10 am on Monday 3rd January(Eire/GMT time) ~ according to my Irish wife, we are 10 hours ahead of Irish time so that should equate with 8pm on Monday night in Queensland, 9pm on Monday night in NSW/ACT/Victoria/Tasmania. I'll leave everyone elsewhere to give themselves a headache working out their local time !

      For anyone who takes the trouble to listen, I think it should be a very interesting broadcast on one of the real oddities of railway history.

      Cheers,
      Frank Savery,
      Secretary, S.E.Qld. Branch,
      Lt. Ry. Research Society of Australia

      PS - My very best wishes for a Happy & prosperous 2005 to everyone.