Re: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: German 0-4-0WT comparison

  • Mr. M. Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      I'm a bit with John on this one....

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John Dennis" <jdennis@...>
      To: <ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, 1 November 2004 17:30
      Subject: Re: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: German 0-4-0WT comparison

      > Bernard,
      >
      > The only problem with the Fleischmann model is the size - the
      > Burrinjuck Krauss locos were amongst the largest of the breed imported
      > into Australia - if you then add 15% to them you're heading towards a
      > loco which is too bug for the purpose.
      >
      > It's unclear from your size comparison whether you were comparing the
      > Fleischmann with the Bergs kit, or with the prototype Burrinjuck
      > Krauss. If the former, then the Bergs kit is already about 12%
      > overscale for 1/4", as it's a 7mm scale model.
      >
      > I certainly agree that the mechanism is reliable, but I am looking for
      > a small Krauss in 1/4" scale too, and the Fleischmann is simply too
      > big for me. (Can't speak for Michael here...)
      >
      > John
      >

      > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:17:54 +1000, "Bernard Snoodyk"
      > <themodelworks@...> wrote:
      >

      > >Micheal
      > >
      > >The Fleischmann model will for a whole host of reasons be a far better
      > >bet for a generic model than Berg's kit.
      > >
      > >If it will help you I can send you a series of photos of commercial
      > >conversions we have undertaken over a few years. Also keep in mind that
      > >you can get the Fleischmann loco with full valve gear at around $300
      > >compared to over $600 for the kit for a better running loco from
      > >Fleischmann
      > >
      > >Regards
      > >Bernard Snoodyk
      > >www.themodelworks.com

      > John Dennis jdennis@...
      > Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
      > and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
      > Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
      > WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mr. M. Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Bernard,

        Would love to see examples of your work.

        Cheers,

        Michael

        > The Fleischmann model will for a whole host of reasons be a far better
        > bet for a generic model than Berg's kit.
        >
        > If it will help you I can send you a series of photos of commercial
        > conversions we have undertaken over a few years. Also keep in mind that
        > you can get the Fleischmann loco with full valve gear at around $300
        > compared to over $600 for the kit for a better running loco from
        > Fleischmann
        >
        > Regards
        > Bernard Snoodyk
        > www.themodelworks.com

      • Mark Kendrick
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
          Bernard!
          Who are you buying your Berg's Krauss kits through? Over $600? I got mine
          for $395, as should everyone else.
          The Berg's kit has full valve gear just like the upper class Fleishmann
          model, and is similar to locos not only on the Burrinjuck line, but in
          Tassie too, so for a generic german well tank loco, that was used in Oz, the
          Burrinjuck Krauss would be my choice. And you can get it for 14mm gauge :-)
          I do have a brief history of employment with Berg's, but no longer
          financially involved.
          Cheers,
          Mark K
          Syd Oz
          www.geocities.com/mark_the_train_brain

          > I have seen, in an article done by Max Burke of Wagga Wagga, in a
          > presentation on modelling the Goondah-Burrinjuck RR several
          > Australian NG Conventions ago - I think at Heathcote, NSW.
          > Max did a diagram of the Kraus from the Newland's book and overlaid
          > this with a Magic Train chassis and body outline. There are
          > considerabe detail difference.
          > Max did several On16.5 kraus's based on the Magic Train before the
          > Berg's version was launched.
          > I have Max's article somewhere!??!
          > Max is likely to be at the Wagga Wagga MR Show this coming week end.
          > There is also an article in a recent NGDU magazine.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Charles
          >

          > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J" <michael@p...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anybody compared the physical sizes of the Bergs Krauss as
          > > against the Flieshmann loco. I know both are meant to be models of
          > > fairly large prototypes.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Michael
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links