Re: Getting Enough ?

  • Barry Pate
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1 2:12 AM
      Another spin on this topic is in the UK there is a monthly
      subscription of TV style railway related topics on DVD for about £5
      per month. It shows there is a market. It is at
      http://www.railwaymonthly.co.uk/.

      Cheers

      Barry
    • john hunter
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1 5:45 AM
        Hi barry thanks for the site ..not only a great concept but taking the
        media to another level from what I have seen so far this to me will be a
        winner.

        Another spin on this topic is in the UK there is a monthly
        subscription of TV style railway related topics on DVD for about £5
        per month. It shows there is a market. It is at
        http://www.railwaymonthly.co.uk/.

        Cheers

        Barry

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Rod Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1 4:46 PM
          Mario,

          You have raised an issue which is very difficult to answer.

          Perhaps the first thing you need to decide is who is your target audience.
          Not everyone on the newsgroups are fantastic modellers. Some are artists,
          some are doodlers, and a few are procrastinators.

          There is a range of people out there in the Model Railway Hobby with a large
          cross section of interests. Some people drool over a mainline diesel while
          others what to know the fine detail of a home built tram built by Jack Ezard
          (who's he you might ask?). Similar intrust but completely different
          environment. Others like to run trains out of the box to timetable, others
          like to kit bash and others like scratch building. The Chilli Line is a
          case in point. Great modelling but little or next to no railways. Even
          Steve and Laurie's sawmills are not railway modelling but are GREAT
          modelling. When I ask Laurie or Grant how they do something, the simplicity
          of their approach is what I find astounding.

          I have watched the Video 'The Art Of Soldering' VHS 1 1/2 Hr. Video Tape by
          PBL. To some degree it is boring but in another its riveting stuff.

          A good DVD; if its going to work, should be divided up into short segments
          addressable from the menu. The Total length is not important; the content
          is what is useful. However at best it will only be that author/editors
          version of reality. That is OK but the knowledge we gain is a collection
          of ideas from hundreds of sources, some brilliant some average and some
          obscure, but all add up to a collection of useful help.

          Not sure I have helped at all but short, sharp, simple and single themes
          with a maximum of 7 ideas addressable from a menu.

          And I look forward to meeting Darryl Huffman in Santa Clara.

          Regards
          Rod Hutchinson
        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 2 4:32 PM
            Mario,

            Just another thought on the DVD.

            Your own web site kind of answers the issue. Each article is easily
            navigable so for a first time user there is an overview of what is on offer.
            The viewer can then open up the subject of interest whenever it takes their
            fancy by selecting the appropriate menu item.

            You DVD could follow a similar approach.

            Regards
            Rod Hutchinson

          • Mario Rapinett
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 2 4:48 PM
              Rod.... you are spot on. The web site started off as an idea, grew
              into something different, where it has many sections. Some "How do"
              sections have pics. These pics can be treated as "storyboards" for
              future video. For many this is obvious,....... for me, the whole
              subject is a learning progression with a "little help from friends".

              http://www.nex.net.au/users/mjbd/html/mould_making.html

              thanks again for your interest

              regards

              Mario
            • Rod Hutchinson
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 3 4:57 AM
                I think that was a little harsh. Mario has made some wonderful
                contributions to modeling in Victoria. He is actually quite a good modeler
                and he will praise and admire fine work.

                Regards

                Rod Hutchinson
                Melbourne, Australia.

                Mario, you hairy-lipped South-paw, you don't know what you are talking
                about. You have missed the point totally. Get a life!

                BTW Those who build FINE SCALE (as you call them) kits, do so only because
                they are hopeless at scratch building! So there. They only buy them for
                the myriad of cast detail parts that have been made by someone else, to
                decorate their layout. The rest of the box is filled with nothing more than
                wood, wood and more wood. FINE SCALE indeed!!!!! Learn to model, why don't
                ya?

              • Mario Rapinett
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 3 5:22 AM
                  Rod.... When I stay with Keith in Sydney, we often having a verble
                  boxing match and sometimes agree. Me mate's comments my stir a few
                  feathers, but I'd like to think I can build a finescale kit and do a
                  little scratch building that is passable. Yep, stilll learning to
                  model and luving it....... Looking to catching up with Keith in
                  October for another debate.........

                  Mario from Sunny Melbourne

                  detail.....mmmmmm
                  http://www.nex.net.au/users/mjbd/html/detail.html
                • S Chapman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 3 1:58 PM
                    Mario
                    Love the detail but I have found it very expensive to acquire all this good
                    looking detail.
                    What sort of short cuts have you and others used to acquire lots of detail
                    when you pay $3.00 for a nice looking barrel, what's on the wharf in your
                    web pages
                    would be hundreds of dollars worth.
                    The wharf scene looks wonderful but the builder would have had some short
                    cuts, what were they if any.
                    Details ....... $$$$$$
                    Regards
                    Steve Chapman

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 3 2:40 PM
                      Keith,

                      I fell for the three card trick.

                      Deep down Mario can be a pain in the Mary, but every now and then he comes
                      up with some gems.

                      I just can't see myself trawling through 10,000 of Mario's travel photos.
                      Not only will I kill myself I might kill him as well.

                      Still he has few good ideas now and then, and he done some great deals for
                      me.

                      Keep up the banter; he needs it.

                      Regards
                      Rod Hutchinson

                      > Rod,
                      >

                      > It's OK, Mario knows me, sometimes stays at my place when he
                      > visits Sydney.
                      > He would feel un-loved if I didn't insult him. No bad
                      > feelings: just my
                      > poor sense of humour.
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      >

                      > Keith
                      >

                      > _____

                      76/D=groups/S=
                      :HM/A=2128215/rand=530050822>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Rod Hutchinson
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 3 2:57 PM
                        Steve,

                        Venture into casting (resin or metal) your own bits and pieces. It's not
                        that hard. John Hunter has some knowledge on this.

                        Regards
                        Rod Hutchinson
                        -
                        > Mario
                        > Love the detail but I have found it very expensive to acquire
                        > all this good
                        > looking detail.
                        > What sort of short cuts have you and others used to acquire
                        > lots of detail

                      • Mario Rapinett
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 3 4:37 PM
                          Steve, I actually took all my stuff to the Sydney meeting to do a
                          clinic on mould making, then showing how easy it is to make hundred's
                          of nice details in various plaster materials & resin, at a fraction
                          of the cost. Please note, I do not sell my castings, as they are for
                          personal use only........

                          However, after boring you and others for an hour with my "FRocks"
                          clinic .. I fought it was enough hot air from this "South Paw".

                          I still plan to do the clinic at the NMRA convention in October if I
                          am again allowed across the border.

                          take care

                          "M"

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 3 5:37 PM
                            Steve my advise is this when it comes to casting you can very easerly
                            mess it up and when you do it only costs money I have seen some real
                            mess ups in recent times its not a cheap process and it will cost you
                            about $100.00 to start get some good advice from people who know what
                            they are doing in most cases they will help if you explain to them what
                            you are doing that's if it interests you anyway ,it can work out to your
                            advantage but if you do start experimenting in producing your own then
                            always cast your own products from your masters don't copy others for
                            what ever reason make one then cast the rest there are some great
                            sites out there on how to moulds I have done one small clinic on
                            casting/moulding at a nmra meet and I felt then that I was not really
                            qualified to do another best leave it to the pros on telling us how to
                            go about it or research it yourself this site listed below is really the
                            only site you need to start casting that's if you are interested, it
                            takes years of knowledge to make and produce a really good mould and
                            moulding with 2 or three parts for white metal and resin casting I think
                            the resin/white metal casting model manufactures would agree it is not
                            that easy to produce good quality parts otherwise we all would be doing
                            it and these guys would not be in business.
                            Thanks john hunter

                            http://www.hirstarts.com/

                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 3 6:07 PM
                              John and others,

                              The yahoo Group "casting" is an excellent source of information and
                              assistance.
                              Well worth joining for the use of their archive and files.

                              Charles.

                              --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "john hunter" <hunter@n...>

                            • Mario Rapinett
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 3 9:53 PM
                                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "S Chapman" <scha4661@b...>
                                wrote:
                                > Love the detail but I have found it very expensive

                                Steve a bit of light reading to ponder till I see you next

                                http://www.nex.net.au/users/mjbd/html/castings.html
                              • S Chapman
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 3 10:13 PM
                                  Mario
                                  What sort of resin do you use to make your detail parts.
                                  I have made moulds before just use plaster and turned out ok.
                                  But would like to move on to plastic of some sort.
                                  Bubbles are a real pain, you can't seem to get rid of them unless you have a
                                  vacuum tank.
                                  I shook mine molds (Buildings I made) with the sander, it vibrates really
                                  fast and seems to work.
                                  It works out cheaper than a vacuum chamber.
                                  Regards
                                  Steve Chapman
                                  > Steve, I actually took all my stuff to the Sydney meeting to do a
                                  > clinic on mould making, then showing how easy it is to make hundred's
                                  > of nice details in various plaster materials & resin, at a fraction
                                  > of the cost. Please note, I do not sell my castings, as they are for
                                  > personal use only........
                                  >
                                  > However, after boring you and others for an hour with my "FRocks"
                                  > clinic .. I fought it was enough hot air from this "South Paw".
                                  >
                                  > I still plan to do the clinic at the NMRA convention in October if I
                                  > am again allowed across the border.
                                  >
                                  > take care
                                  >
                                  > "M"
                                • Mario Rapinett
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 3 10:25 PM
                                    I don't use a vibrator or vacuum of any sort, for the bubbles. John
                                    hunter showed me a neat trick when using drystone or similar. He
                                    gets a small brush and paints inside the hole. then pours in the
                                    rest. With the brush, he pokes back in the hole to rid the air
                                    pockets. Hope that sounded right.

                                    The resin type ????, I will get back to you, unless John Hunter can
                                    advise. He put me onto that also. I have my stuff packed away at
                                    the moment.

                                    Maltese M
                                  • ausjrm@bigpond.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 7 4:32 PM
                                      Charles,

                                      Which particular group were you recommending?

                                      Thanks,

                                      Stephen

                                      On 4 Aug 2004 at 1:07, charles schuster wrote:

                                      > John and others,
                                      >
                                      > The yahoo Group "casting" is an excellent source of information and
                                      > assistance.
                                      > Well worth joining for the use of their archive and files.
                                      >
                                      > Charles.
                                    • Michael Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 7 11:42 PM
                                        Which particular group were you recommending?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Stephen

                                        On 4 Aug 2004 at 1:07, charles schuster wrote:

                                        > John and others,
                                        >
                                        > The yahoo Group "casting" is an excellent source of information and
                                        > assistance.
                                        > Well worth joining for the use of their archive and files.
                                        >
                                        > Charles.

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • charles schuster
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 8 1:17 AM
                                          Stephen,
                                          Greetings!

                                          If you go to the Yahoo Groups home page and type in "casting" into
                                          the search bar it will turn up the groups dealing with casting and
                                          you can choose the group you would like to look at.

                                          Good Hunting!
                                          Charles.

                                          --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, ausjrm@b... wrote:
                                          > Charles,
                                          >
                                          > Which particular group were you recommending?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > Stephen
                                          >

                                          > On 4 Aug 2004 at 1:07, charles schuster wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > John and others,
                                          > >
                                          > > The yahoo Group "casting" is an excellent source of information
                                          and
                                          > > assistance.
                                          > > Well worth joining for the use of their archive and files.
                                          > >
                                          > > Charles.
                                        • charles schuster
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 8 1:21 AM
                                            Stephen,
                                            Group #15 "casting" is the group you want. I mean not all the ones on
                                            teatrical 'casring'!!
                                            Charles.