Transformer question

  • Geoff Potter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4 12:51 AM
      Hello folks,

      I have been offered an old transformer like the one shown.
      http://www.ozcbradios.com/accessories/acc-power-supplies/581-dick-smith-m-9545%c2%a0

      It has an output of 13.8 volts DC. I think it can be used for DCC, but I am mainly interested in DC model railway use.

      I am not electrically minded, but can it be used to safely power 12 volt dc locos through some form of throttle? If not locos, might it be useful for accessories?

      regards
      Geoff Potter

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4 1:49 AM
        Geoff,
        Go via the link below and open the "Voltage Regulator Circut.png" file, this is the circuit you need
        to make a controller for the transformer, where the diagram shows 'R', instead of putting a resister
        in there swap it for a pot of the correct value so you can vary the voltage output, the 13.8 volt
        output is pretty much a standard for all 12 volt applications including your car battery.
        If you use the control circuit or any other voltage controller, you will find the normal loss of
        voltage through any electronic circuit, and add to that the wiring and natural loss of voltage
        through the rails, you will most likely only have about 9-11 volts of power actually getting to the
        motor of your loco.

        Brian
        Qld. Aust.
        I have been offered an old transformer like the one shown.
        http://www.ozcbradios.com/accessories/acc-power-supplies/581-dick-smith-m-9545%c2%a0

        It has an output of 13.8 volts DC. I think it can be used for DCC, but I am mainly interested in DC
        model railway use.

        I am not electrically minded, but can it be used to safely power 12 volt dc locos through some form
        of throttle? If not locos, might it be useful for accessories?

        regards
        Geoff Potter

        -----
        No virus found in this message.
        out of date.
      • Rod Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4 2:14 AM
          Hi Geoff,

          When I have built controllers I have had them around 14vac. There is
          sufficient drop in voltage through the controller circuits. At any rate
          run your locos at "normal" speed and you will very rarely put 12 vdc
          through the motor.

          Rod in Melbourne
          On Jul 4, 2013 5:51 PM, "Geoff Potter" <potgeoff@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello folks,
          >
          > I have been offered an old transformer like the one shown.
          >
          > http://www.ozcbradios.com/accessories/acc-power-supplies/581-dick-smith-m-9545
          >

          > It has an output of 13.8 volts DC. I think it can be used for DCC, but I
          > am mainly interested in DC model railway use.
          >
          > I am not electrically minded, but can it be used to safely power 12 volt
          > dc locos through some form of throttle? If not locos, might it be useful
          > for accessories?
          >
          > regards
          > Geoff Potter

        • Geoff Potter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4 2:41 AM
            Rod & Brian,

            thanks very much for your help,

            regards
            Geoff

            ________________________________
            When I have built controllers I have had them around 14vac.  There is
            sufficient drop in voltage through the controller circuits.  At any rate
            run your locos at "normal" speed and you will very rarely put 12 vdc
            through the motor.

            Rod in Melbourne
            On Jul 4, 2013 5:51 PM, "Geoff Potter" <potgeoff@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hello folks,
            >
            > I have been offered an old transformer like the one shown.
            >
            > http://www.ozcbradios.com/accessories/acc-power-supplies/581-dick-smith-m-9545
            >

            > It has an output of 13.8 volts DC. I think it can be used for DCC, but I
            > am mainly interested in DC model railway use.
            >
            > I am not electrically minded, but can it be used to safely power 12 volt
            > dc locos through some form of throttle? If not locos, might it be useful
            > for accessories?
            >
            > regards
            > Geoff Potter

          • Graeme Nitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4 7:42 AM
              Should be no problems as most "12v" motors can run on 15v or more without any damage. The exception being some of the micro motors.

              Graeme Nitz

              An Aussie living in Tulsa Ok

              There are 10 types of people on this world,
              Those that understand binary and those that don't!

              Sent from my iPhone