Re: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: sedum autumn joy??

  • Murray Scholz
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
      From: "charles schuster" <Subject: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: sedum autumn joy??

      > John,
      > Goods evening!
      > I went to the local plant nursery this morning and the folks there
      > showed me several variants of the Sedum spp. - red and yellow and
      > greens of different leaf forms.
      > They more resembled succulents like "Pig Face" and were really low
      > rockery plants?
      > The gum type trees on this groups files' pictures of Alan Rocket's
      > layout are more like Nandina spp.- (Sacred Bamboo) that many NSW
      > modellers use - like Kay Flowers demostrates around the NSW
      > exhibition circuit.
      >
      > Please set me straight.
      >
      >Hi Charles,

      Sedums are a large and diverse group of succulent annuals, biennials and
      perenials about 400 different types in all . So while the groundcovers your
      local nursery showed you are sedums they are very different to the type of
      plant Alan and John and others use.

      Autumn Joy ( also called Herbstfreude ) is the most popular of the upright
      sedums but varieties such as Munstead Dark Red, Matrona and Frosty Morn can
      also be used to make quite good model gums . I will try and put up a photo
      tonight of what Autumn joy looks like at the moment

      For those of you that already have some plants they are very easy to
      propogate I grew 80 last winter . If any one wants the details of how let me
      know

      As you have probably guessed by now my wife is a very keen gardner - useful
      for trying different plants for scenery supplies

      Regards

      Murray Scholz
    • john hunter
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Charles
        Nandina is great for pines the wirey branch has small knob at the end
        these are the flowers , I have used some nandina but only for small
        trees, murray has explained it perfectly I used sedum autumn joy which
        is red I have posted some pics what it looks like plus the nursery tag
        hope this helps
        john

        I went to the local plant nursery this morning and the folks there
        showed me several variants of the Sedum spp. - red and yellow and
        greens of different leaf forms.
        They more resembled succulents like "Pig Face" and were really low
        rockery plants?
        The gum type trees on this groups files' pictures of Alan Rocket's
        layout are more like Nandina spp.- (Sacred Bamboo) that many NSW
        modellers use - like Kay Flowers demostrates around the NSW
        exhibition circuit.

        Please set me straight.

        Thank you,
        Charles Schuster.

        --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "john hunter" <hunter@n...>
        wrote:
        > for those interested the trees used on alan rockets layout and my
        > layout is a plant known as sedum autumn joy Im sure most are
        aware
        > of that but this plant is currently available at nurseries
        > but will disapear in a while until next year I suggest that if you
        > want to use this type of tree on your layout then you had beter
        grab
        > it know once you have the plant you will get heads of it every year
        > but I suggest you by it now.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12criqi9h/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
        roupweb/S=1705063576:HM/EXP=1078211171/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141epleeo/*http
        :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
        300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078124771341893?>

        Click Here
        <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
        ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078124771341893?> Click Here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
        pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=281651460>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • john hunter
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          Charles I must point out that you pic the heads off the plant once they
          die on the plant the you flock or paint the head..also murray please
          tell us how to propegate the plant for next year

          wrote:
          > for those interested the trees used on alan rockets layout and my
          > layout is a plant known as sedum autumn joy Im sure most are
          aware
          > of that but this plant is currently available at nurseries
          > but will disapear in a while until next year I suggest that if you
          > want to use this type of tree on your layout then you had beter
          grab
          > it know once you have the plant you will get heads of it every year
          > but I suggest you by it now.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12criqi9h/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
          roupweb/S=1705063576:HM/EXP=1078211171/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141epleeo/*http
          :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
          300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078124771341893?>

          Click Here
          <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
          ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078124771341893?> Click Here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
          pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=281651460>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Bauers
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
            john hunter wrote:
            > Charles I must point out that you pic the heads off the plant once they
            > die on the plant the you flock or paint the head..also murray please
            > tell us how to propegate the plant for next year

            I've got the plants around the house.

            They just come up year after year.........

            My kind of gardening!

            --
            Best to ya,
            Mike Bauers
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
              Hi Guys,
              Took me a while to find it but I did anyway.
              I hope this link helps. It's by Dave Frary.
              http://www.pc-technology.com/user/railroad/tips/lichen/

              Khris

              Subject: RE: [ausnarrowgauge] Re: sedum autumn joy??

              Hi Steve
              The sedum plant does dry out this is what makes then such good gums and
              yes they do become brital so to overcome this I spray the dried head
              with spray craft glue this also is how I keep the flocking attach to the
              plant you realy don't have to do anything to the head after it is just
              sprinkled with some woodlands burnt grass this is my preferred flocking
              material used on these plants. this is a personal choice colour is
              important getting that olive Australian gum tree look is what makes a
              good gum tree plastic or natural I find woodlands colours best I also
              use dylon dyes cold water dyes their colour range is great and they have
              a really good olive colour I know Allan rocket uses these dyes and I
              also know he uses plain old watered down pva to preserve and hold the
              trees together and I think we all must agree they look great maybe Mario
              can help to explain what Allan does to his trees as I know he has spoken
              to Allan in length about his scenery. I suppose to answer your Question
              its yes they will fall apart in time but I have taken my sedum to so
              many expos and they have gone through some had treatment and are still
              in good nick on a home layout I recon they will last for years and again
              I think Allan has had his on his layout for ever.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                    hi mike
                    hey send some my way I cant get enough of these suckers if you model
                    australia I think you cant go wrong using sedum and yes you are right
                    they just keep coming up year after year I know a chap here that
                    almost got himself arrested for picking the dead heads of a plant in
                    a botanical garden naughty boy just shows what some modelers will do
                    to get that altermate look to their layoutsI have posted a couple of
                    pics of sedum for all to see alive and dead .
                    got.ya
                  • Murray Scholz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
                      For those of you that already have some Sedum autumn joy and want some more
                      here is how I propogated mine

                      Firstly I was lazy in cutting off the flower heads and only got around to it
                      in August By this time many of the largest flowers had new leaves growing
                      out the sides of the stem

                      If you look closely they are in fact whole new plants that can be easily
                      pulled off by hand . I just pulled off the larger "plants" and stuck them in
                      pots with a good quality potting mix .I only watered them ocasionally and I
                      only lost 2 of the 80 I potted up .

                      Of the 60 I planted in our garden (yes we do have a big garden) I will
                      probably only get one or two flower spikes from each plant this year but in
                      another year or two I should get 20 to 30 flowers from each plant each year

                      Hope this is of help

                      Murray Scholz
                    • Khris
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
                        Hi John all,
                        I thought I had heard that engine coolant would work. Just couldn't remember
                        where I had heard it and my memory is faaaaar from great, so I didn't want
                        to say it in case I had put my foot in it..

                        Have you treated the Sedum this way at all? (using Coolant)

                        I was always under the impression that treating any of the plant matter this
                        way , it would keep it supple??

                        Khris

                        Khris
                        Thanks for the link this will come in handy I have always used
                        engine coolant to preserve my lichen I was up in Walhalla last year and
                        on the sides of the rocks there is heaps of lichen and I got myself a
                        bag full then when I got home I put it in a bucket full of engine
                        coolant left it for a week rinsed it and it worked fine and still that
                        lichen is as green as I picked it the glycol is the key ingredient I
                        think also coolant is cheap at auto stores I payed $3.00 for 5 Lt

                      • john hunter

[...]

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ckkak42/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
                          roupweb/S=1705063576:HM/EXP=1078288146/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141df6tum/*http
                          :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
                          300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078201746229359?>

                          Click Here
                          <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
                          ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078201746229359?> Click Here

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
                          pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=692025339>

                          _____

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • john hunter
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
                            Murray great crop looks pretty dry up there
                            john

[...]

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cpm8glf/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=eg
                            roupweb/S=1705063576:HM/EXP=1078298204/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141ujiff3/*http
                            :/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=
                            300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078211804356994?>

                            Click Here
                            <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5
                            ;sz=300x250;code=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078211804356994?> Click Here

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egrou
                            pweb/S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=222698948>

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links