PUFFING BILLY CONTAINER

  • chasschusteroz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2012
      PUFFING BILLY CONTAINER:

      A short while ago on a wet Sunday afternoon I was surfing the Net and found a a clear picture of the Puffing Billy's Rail Tractor NRT1 towing an NQR Flat wagon over a newly reconstructed bridge near Fielding.
      I'm not sure of the date, yet.

      From the Group's files........

      I then recalled seeing this "container wagon" lurking on a siding behind the big workshop shed opposite the Emerald station passenger platform.

      The photo by Weston Langford showed the 20 Foot DRY ribbed ISO container that belonged to the CTI (Container Transport International) with a volunteer Work-Crew of CMF Engineers and PB Track Crew) riding on the flat car.
      The container was anchored towards one end of the flat providing a short work platform at the other.

      Further information on this work train came from PBR fans who told me the container had a load of work tools and bagged cement.
      This plus a loaded NWT water tanker at other end of NRT1 also provided a weight car to test the strenght of the bridge.

      So I went searching for a 20' HO CTI container - not immediately easy to find in OZ.
      Further 'googling' found sources of downlaodable 20' paper / card downloadable containers - the best one from Norway in B&W which I was going to paint and use Al Cutmore's decals for CTI containers.

      Then I found a newish producer of HO card containers based in South Australia.
      Jim Hamilton of "Scaleworkshop' does a wide range of 20' and 40' Australian containers.

      I Emailed him and asked whether he could do a 20' CTI container.
      YES was the response and he produced one plain (as new) and one with the patches like in the Langforth photograph.
      Cost $AU 5 for 2 on one sheet.
      My card models arrived yesterday and looked fine with the patches as in Longford's photo showing up well

      This is not on his website yet, but you can see examples of how realist card models can look......

      <http://crisplinkptyltd.myob.net/>

      And he welcomes Email enquiries at
      [scale_workshop@...]

      So when I finish NRT1 I will have a Work train consist :
      NWT + NR1 + NQR Flat with container.
      NWT is in progress and Kerroby models has some Oz Diggers for the Workers.

      Cheers,

      Charles Schuster.
    • Nathan Badcock
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2012
        G'day Charles!

        Certainly watching this with alot of interest, please keep us posted on any progress!

        Cheers,
        Nathan
        --------------------------

        On 04/05/2012, at 2:14 PM, "chasschusteroz" <chasschuster@...> wrote:

        > PUFFING BILLY CONTAINER:
        >
        > A short while ago on a wet Sunday afternoon I was surfing the Net and found a a clear picture of the Puffing Billy's Rail Tractor NRT1 towing an NQR Flat wagon over a newly reconstructed bridge near Fielding.
        > I'm not sure of the date, yet.
        >
        > From the Group's files........

        > I then recalled seeing this "container wagon" lurking on a siding behind the big workshop shed opposite the Emerald station passenger platform.
        >
        > The photo by Weston Langford showed the 20 Foot DRY ribbed ISO container that belonged to the CTI (Container Transport International) with a volunteer Work-Crew of CMF Engineers and PB Track Crew) riding on the flat car.
        > The container was anchored towards one end of the flat providing a short work platform at the other.
        >
        > Further information on this work train came from PBR fans who told me the container had a load of work tools and bagged cement.
        > This plus a loaded NWT water tanker at other end of NRT1 also provided a weight car to test the strenght of the bridge.
        >
        > So I went searching for a 20' HO CTI container - not immediately easy to find in OZ.
        > Further 'googling' found sources of downlaodable 20' paper / card downloadable containers - the best one from Norway in B&W which I was going to paint and use Al Cutmore's decals for CTI containers.
        >
        > Then I found a newish producer of HO card containers based in South Australia.
        > Jim Hamilton of "Scaleworkshop' does a wide range of 20' and 40' Australian containers.
        >
        > I Emailed him and asked whether he could do a 20' CTI container.
        > YES was the response and he produced one plain (as new) and one with the patches like in the Langforth photograph.
        > Cost $AU 5 for 2 on one sheet.
        > My card models arrived yesterday and looked fine with the patches as in Longford's photo showing up well
        >
        > This is not on his website yet, but you can see examples of how realist card models can look......
        >
        > <http://crisplinkptyltd.myob.net/>
        >
        > And he welcomes Email enquiries at
        > [scale_workshop@...]
        >
        > So when I finish NRT1 I will have a Work train consist :
        > NWT + NR1 + NQR Flat with container.
        > NWT is in progress and Kerroby models has some Oz Diggers for the Workers.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Charles Schuster.

      • Roger Hill
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2012
          The June edition of US Trains magazine has good article on Puffing Billy in
          the Preservation section. It states that PB is one of the world's "must
          see" railways.

          It notes that the railway runs through fir and eucalypts, has a "Beyer
          Garrett" and "Porters" No mention of the Climax and that the 2-6-2's are a
          Baldwin design.

          Where have PB hidden the Porters?

          _____

          <mailto:chasschuster%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

          > PUFFING BILLY CONTAINER:
          >
          > A short while ago on a wet Sunday afternoon I was surfing the Net and
          found a a clear picture of the Puffing Billy's Rail Tractor NRT1 towing an
          NQR Flat wagon over a newly reconstructed bridge near Fielding.
          > I'm not sure of the date, yet.
          >
          > From the Group's files........

          st>

          > I then recalled seeing this "container wagon" lurking on a siding behind
          the big workshop shed opposite the Emerald station passenger platform.

          > The photo by Weston Langford showed the 20 Foot DRY ribbed ISO container
          that belonged to the CTI (Container Transport International) with a
          volunteer Work-Crew of CMF Engineers and PB Track Crew) riding on the flat
          car.
          > The container was anchored towards one end of the flat providing a short
          work platform at the other.

          > Further information on this work train came from PBR fans who told me the
          container had a load of work tools and bagged cement.
          > This plus a loaded NWT water tanker at other end of NRT1 also provided a
          weight car to test the strenght of the bridge.

          > So I went searching for a 20' HO CTI container - not immediately easy to
          find in OZ.
          > Further 'googling' found sources of downlaodable 20' paper / card
          downloadable containers - the best one from Norway in B&W which I was going
          to paint and use Al Cutmore's decals for CTI containers.

          > Then I found a newish producer of HO card containers based in South
          Australia.
          > Jim Hamilton of "Scaleworkshop' does a wide range of 20' and 40'
          Australian containers.

          > I Emailed him and asked whether he could do a 20' CTI container.
          > YES was the response and he produced one plain (as new) and one with the
          patches like in the Langforth photograph.
          > Cost $AU 5 for 2 on one sheet.
          > My card models arrived yesterday and looked fine with the patches as in
          Longford's photo showing up well

          > This is not on his website yet, but you can see examples of how realist
          card models can look......

          > <http://crisplinkptyltd.myob.net/>
          >
          > And he welcomes Email enquiries at
          > [scale_workshop@... <mailto:scale_workshop%40hotmail.com> ]
          >
          > So when I finish NRT1 I will have a Work train consist :
          > NWT + NR1 + NQR Flat with container.
          > NWT is in progress and Kerroby models has some Oz Diggers for the Workers.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Charles Schuster.

        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2012
            Hi Ron,

            They're hidden behind the Heislers.

            Rod

            On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Roger Hill <rjhillhouse@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > The June edition of US Trains magazine has good article on Puffing Billy in
            > the Preservation section. It states that PB is one of the world's "must
            > see" railways.
            >
            > It notes that the railway runs through fir and eucalypts, has a "Beyer
            > Garrett" and "Porters" No mention of the Climax and that the 2-6-2's are a
            > Baldwin design.
            >
            > Where have PB hidden the Porters?
            >
            > _____

          • danpickard2004
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2012
              Oh well, its the thought that counts.
              Nice to see some overseas recognition and plugs, even if the facts did slip of the rails a bit.

              Dan Pickard

              --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Rod Hutchinson <rodhutchy@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ron,
              >
              > They're hidden behind the Heislers.
              >
              > Rod
              >
              > On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Roger Hill <rjhillhouse@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > The June edition of US Trains magazine has good article on Puffing Billy in
              > > the Preservation section. It states that PB is one of the world's "must
              > > see" railways.
              > >
              > > It notes that the railway runs through fir and eucalypts, has a "Beyer
              > > Garrett" and "Porters" No mention of the Climax and that the 2-6-2's are a
              > > Baldwin design.
              > >
              > > Where have PB hidden the Porters?
              > >
              > > _____

            • Jay
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2012
                Hi Roger

                Do you by any chance have the email address of this magazine?

                If we all email them and correct with the correct information

                Maybe, just maybe we can gain some extra publicity for the PB and Australia?

                Cheers

                Jay

                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Hill" <rjhillhouse@...> wrote:

                > The June edition of US Trains magazine has good article on Puffing Billy in
                > the Preservation section. It states that PB is one of the world's "must
                > see" railways.
                >

                > It notes that the railway runs through fir and eucalypts, has a "Beyer
                > Garrett" and "Porters" No mention of the Climax and that the 2-6-2's are a
                > Baldwin design.
                >

                > Where have PB hidden the Porters?
                >

                > _____

              • Roger Hill
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2012
                  Here it is:

                  TrainsMagazine [TrainsMagazine@...]

                  _____

                  <mailto:ausnarrowgauge%40yahoogroups.com> , "Roger Hill" <rjhillhouse@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > Australia.
                  > > Jim Hamilton of "Scaleworkshop' does a wide range of 20' and 40'
                  > Australian containers.
                  > >
                  > > I Emailed him and asked whether he could do a 20' CTI container.
                  > > YES was the response and he produced one plain (as new) and one with the
                  > patches like in the Langforth photograph.
                  > > Cost $AU 5 for 2 on one sheet.
                  > > My card models arrived yesterday and looked fine with the patches as in
                  > Longford's photo showing up well
                  > >
                  > > This is not on his website yet, but you can see examples of how realist
                  > card models can look......
                  > >
                  > > <http://crisplinkptyltd.myob.net/>
                  > >
                  > > And he welcomes Email enquiries at
                  > > [scale_workshop@... <mailto:scale_workshop%40hotmail.com> ]
                  > >
                  > > So when I finish NRT1 I will have a Work train consist :
                  > > NWT + NR1 + NQR Flat with container.
                  > > NWT is in progress and Kerroby models has some Oz Diggers for the

                • rckwallaby
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2012
                    --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Hill" <rjhillhouse@...> wrote:

                    > The June edition of US Trains magazine has good article on Puffing Billy ........
                    >
                    > It notes that ......, has a "Beyer Garrett" and "Porters"
                    >
                    > Where have PB hidden the Porters?

                    Aren't they the guys that wandered up and down the platforms helping passengers with luggage ????
                    Think they all died off from lack of tips.

                    Phil