Chevrolet Blitz Trucks - Post War Usage

  • Nathan
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
      G'day all,
      Am curious as to if anyone may have any pictures, or just general information regarding the use of the 40's Chevrolet Blitz in a post WW2 form, in private use or otherwise.

      I have managed to obtain a long unproduced kit of this truck in 1/35th by Italeri, and am curious in seeing how they "could've" been used (and altered) by a small Tramway in private ownership.
      Whilst the Blitz wasn't a truck used on the Tramway I am modeling, I have found it hard to determine the make of the models of the ones that were, may just have to Make a compromise!

      Thanks in advance,
      Nathan Badcock
    • A C Lynn Zelmer
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
        Many of them were used in the sugar industry for hauling cane, as
        breakdown trucks, etc., although I don't believe that any were used
        as motive power. There are a few photos in the CaneSIG collection:
        http://www.zelmeroz.com/albumquery/_search.php
        and at least one is being restored at Rockhampton's Heritage Village
        (I've got photos but haven't managed to get them into the collection).

        The Prof also did a presentation on their use for a Narrow Gauge
        Convention a few years ago.

        Happy modelling,
        Lynn

        --
        Lynn Zelmer
        Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
          Nathan,
          Many of them were used to haul logs as logging trucks, I recall back in the
          60's there was one which had been modified so you sat backwards in the cab
          and it had a form of fork lift arrangement to lift logs, many others were
          modified with a grab arrangement to lift wholestick cane onto cane trucks.
          Brian
          Qld. Aust.
          > Am curious as to if anyone may have any pictures, or just general
          > information regarding the use of the 40's Chevrolet Blitz in a post WW2
          > form, in private use or otherwise.
          >
          > I have managed to obtain a long unproduced kit of this truck in 1/35th by
          > Italeri, and am curious in seeing how they "could've" been used (and
          > altered) by a small Tramway in private ownership.
          > Whilst the Blitz wasn't a truck used on the Tramway I am modeling, I have
          > found it hard to determine the make of the models of the ones that were,
          > may just have to Make a compromise!
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Nathan Badcock

          > -----
          > No virus found in this message.

        • Mark Kendrick
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
            Nathan,
            Some common post war uses of Blitzes were carrying water (both farmers
            and RFS), crop spraying, livestock transport, feed trucks, kitchen/mess
            trucks, campervans, cranes, drilling rigs, remote mail trucks, miners
            used them to power their winches but plenty more ended their life as
            gravel/spoil/ore trucks. The versions that usually survive today are the
            niche conversions such as cranes and fire trucks.
            The mine winch mods involved taking off the wheels, putting the back
            up on cribbing, and bolting a cable drum to a drive flange. Oh, and
            welding the diff spiders. These conversions usually didn't have any
            body/tray aft of the cab, just chassis.

            Here are some pics I trawled earlier

            http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/13042008325.jpg (C60L
            ex-sawmill/logging)
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/IMG_0902.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/IMG_0907-1.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/IMG_0905.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/IMG_0903.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/Country%20Trip%20Oct%202008/100_0082_2.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/perentie/Country%20Trip%20Oct%202008/100_0083_2.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/100_0011-1.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/100_0013.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/blitza.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/blitzb.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/blitzc.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/LRPV261208086-1.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/048.jpg
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/100_0009.jpg (off the
            chassis, but was an Army workshop body)
            http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/tommykm/100_0015.jpg

            -Mark K

            On 2/08/2011 7:57 AM, Nathan wrote:
            > G'day all,
            > Am curious as to if anyone may have any pictures, or just general information regarding the use of the 40's Chevrolet Blitz in a post WW2 form, in private use or otherwise.
            >
            > I have managed to obtain a long unproduced kit of this truck in 1/35th by Italeri, and am curious in seeing how they "could've" been used (and altered) by a small Tramway in private ownership.
            > Whilst the Blitz wasn't a truck used on the Tramway I am modeling, I have found it hard to determine the make of the models of the ones that were, may just have to Make a compromise!
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Nathan Badcock

          • oztrainz
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
              Hi Nathan
              four photos of Prof's "Blitzed Blitz's" are in the "2007 OzNG Contest Room" album in the Photos area. I can't remember whether I ever got around to posting the rest of the photos I took in the contest room into that album.....

              I hope that these photos provide some inspiration. From memory these were originally TRAX TRUX bushfire tankers in 1/43 scale. I'm sure Prof will set me straight if I have it wrong.
              Regards, John Garaty

              --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan" <nbadcock00@...> wrote:

              > G'day all,
              > Am curious as to if anyone may have any pictures, or just general information regarding the use of the 40's Chevrolet Blitz in a post WW2 form, in private use or otherwise.
              >
              > I have managed to obtain a long unproduced kit of this truck in 1/35th by Italeri, and am curious in seeing how they "could've" been used (and altered) by a small Tramway in private ownership.
              > Whilst the Blitz wasn't a truck used on the Tramway I am modeling, I have found it hard to determine the make of the models of the ones that were, may just have to Make a compromise!
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              > Nathan Badcock

            • loggingloco1
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2011
                Dear Nathan,

                Google is your friend here,
                as long as you use the correct search terms.

                "CMP" = Canadian Military Pattern

                = the catch-all term for a "Blitz" while it was in military service.

                If you're looking for specific model or military designations, "CMP" is the term to use.

                "Blitz" = a CMP once it escaped military service

                Blitz was never an official name, and using the searchterm Blitz is likely as not to turn up results for the Opel truck from europe.
                (Right idea, wrong "blitz").

                As a "if you use only 1 website for reference, use this one" suggestion, I'd point you at

                http://www.oldcmp.net/indexes.html
                (Caution! You will spend HOURS navigating thru the pictures here!!!
                They aren't particularly easily navigated as a website,
                but most every link on the index page will provide _something_ of interest!)

                All of the previous comments about "Blitz's" making it into mining, logging, quarrying, and tramway work have supporting examples on this site. However, some "how it got there" details bear repeating.

                1 - The "Blitz" that most modellers recognize is specifically a Ford (Fxxx) or Chevy (Cxxx) manufactured product

                2 - with a "pattern 13" cab. (short, with the little pug-nose bonnet/grille, just like the Italeri 1:35, Trident HO, and Trax Trux 1:43 models)

                There were other "model" cabs had on what were known as "CMPs" in military service, but they are not what the average punter recognizes as a "Blitz"

                3 - While in military service, the CMP could be had in a few specific variations

                x15/15A = 15 Hundredweight (nom 1 ton) shorty 101" wheelbase truck
                (Often used for recon, equipment trucks such as radio vehicles, and Gun tractors)

                x60S = 60 Hundredweight (nom 3 ton) Short 134" General cargo/troop carrier truck

                x60L = 60 Hundredweight (nom 3 ton) Long 158" General cargo/troop carrier truck

                x60X = relatively rare double drive-axle 6x6 5 ton 158" Heavy cargo/topp carrier

                4 - In civilian service, such strict chassis lengths and configurations were often _not_ respected! Entire CMPs could be bought "still CKD in crates" by small father-and-son engineering companies, and assembled into purpose-built trucks for whatever mission the purchaser required. In many cases this resulted in

                - x60x 158" wheelbase trucks being cut-down to x15 lengths
                - x15 101" wheelbase trucks being lengthened beyond all design parameters

                This makes life hard for the diehard prototype CMP fan,
                who may come accross what _looks_ like a x60L,
                only to trace it via it's builtplates and military serial numbers back as an original x15 with homebruise chassis and drive-system extensions

                5 - The above chassis schenanigans notwithstanding, CMP chassis were relatively light in cross section. Under military duties, the bodies that were bolted to the frames often were considered materailly part of the chassis structure, and provided extra stiffening/strength. That said, they were still know to "flex and twist" under hard conditions.

                Once out of military service, Blitz's were oft subjected to insanely high "chassis loading", far beyomnd what they were ever intended to handle. Many Blitzs, particularly in logging duties, had rudimentary A-frame cranes mounted on the rear,
                the onboard winch cabled up to the top of the A-frame,
                and the resulting animal used as a simple "nook 'em up and drag 'em out" bush log skidder/yarder.

                Of course, with no loadcells or other tech to tell how heavy the log was, Blitzs were often caught attempting to lift logs far heavier than the crane design/geometry would permit. Result? Front axle in the air, and no movement from the log.

                Solution? Release the winch, thus _Dumping_ the entire truck back down to earth, and absolutely _punishing_ the front axle suspension to the point of collapse/failure.

                Given that the winch itself was actually mounted almost perfectly mid-way along the chassis, such "excess stress" also had the effect of repeatedly "pulling up" at the middle of the chassis. As a result, it is quite common to find "bush blitzs" with bent chassis (commonly forming an inverted V shape).

                - If you are looking for "current day" operational Blitzs, the Anzac Day parades, and local Rural Bush Fire services are often the best bets...

                Will upload a copy of the "Blitz!" clinic from the 2009 Syd Aust NG Convention shortly...

                Happy Modelling,
                Aim to Improve,
                Prof Klyzlr

                PS I think I have 2 of those Italeri kits here somewhere, let me know if you need any "kitbash fodder"... :-)

                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan" <nbadcock00@...> wrote:

                > G'day all,
                > Am curious as to if anyone may have any pictures, or just general information regarding the use of the 40's Chevrolet Blitz in a post WW2 form, in private use or otherwise.
                >
                > I have managed to obtain a long unproduced kit of this truck in 1/35th by Italeri, and am curious in seeing how they "could've" been used (and altered) by a small Tramway in private ownership.
                > Whilst the Blitz wasn't a truck used on the Tramway I am modeling, I have found it hard to determine the make of the models of the ones that were, may just have to Make a compromise!
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                > Nathan Badcock

              • rckwallaby
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Excellent Notes Prof and thanks for the file.
                  I remember these very well.
                  Gotta have a few of these on a layout.

                  Regards
                  Phil Morrow

                  --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "loggingloco1" <johnd@...> wrote:

                  > "CMP" = Canadian Military Pattern
                  >
                  > = the catch-all term for a "Blitz" while it was in military service.
                  >

                  > Happy Modelling,
                  > Aim to Improve,
                  > Prof Klyzlr

                • Nathan Badcock
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2011
                    Gday All!

                    Thankyou for the replies, some which will certainly help me with my modeling endeavours!

                    Mark K, your pictures will certainly help me with working out weathering patterns and how they would age!, certainly something I'll have to strongly consider seeing as I'm wishing to model a early 1970's period, greatly appreciated!

                    Prof, thankyou for both the brief bit of info, and the convention notes, both have provided food for thought!, so much so, in wanting to produce an Ida Bay quarry truck or two, I may build a "Blitz-Semi" logger for the mainroad on the new layout ;)

                    Thankyou all,
                    Nathan Badcock

                  • tankienz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
                      I was scanning through some older messages and came across this one. I thought I'm sure I have a picture on one of those CMP 15cwts modified into a forklift. So I just went searching. I lived in Aussie in Puckapunnyal for a few years and on many weekends would go exploring camera in hand. I like reused ex miltary vehicles so photographed several. I have added a photo folder entitled Vehicles. In it there is:

                      photo of CMP modified into a forklift

                      2 photos of a Mack logging truck

                      photos of two different Stuart tanks at were turned into tractors. The turrets were removed and the original petrol radial aircraft engines replaced with top mounted diesel engines.

                      photo of a former British Army Valentine tank converted into a tractor. If I recall correctly, several were imported into Western Australia after WWII sans turrets for use as farming and forestry tractors. The armour around the drivers position would have been cut away to increase visibility. This one was in the process of being restored back into a tank so a new glasis plate sitting in place restoring the driver area to original.

                      Paul Napier

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Oops. There is also a picture of a CMP modified into a crane truck taken just East of Lakes Entrance.

                        Paul Napier

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
                          G'day Paul!
                          Those images you added are great!,
                          And the Blitz modified to the forklift is most certainly one of the weirder ones I've seen photographs of!

                          RE The Tanks:
                          I was sure I had seen reference of WW2 tanks being used in conmercial/civilian circles, after seeing pictures I'm convinced I need to build one just for the sake of it...
                          It'd look right at home on a logging branch amongst the tall timber... ;)

                          Cheers,
                          Nathan Badcock
                          --------------------------
                          "Lune River" - 32n2

                          "Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may very well be an on-coming train! ;)"

                          On 01/09/2011, at 8:21 PM, "tankienz" <bandm@...> wrote:

                          > Oops. There is also a picture of a CMP modified into a crane truck taken just East of Lakes Entrance.
                          >
                          > Paul Napier
                          >
                          > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "tankienz" <bandm@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I was scanning through some older messages and came across this one. I thought I'm sure I have a picture on one of those CMP 15cwts modified into a forklift. So I just went searching. I lived in Aussie in Puckapunnyal for a few years and on many weekends would go exploring camera in hand. I like reused ex miltary vehicles so photographed several. I have added a photo folder entitled Vehicles. In it there is:
                          > >
                          > > photo of CMP modified into a forklift
                          > >
                          > > 2 photos of a Mack logging truck
                          > >
                          > > photos of two different Stuart tanks at were turned into tractors. The turrets were removed and the original petrol radial aircraft engines replaced with top mounted diesel engines.
                          > >
                          > > photo of a former British Army Valentine tank converted into a tractor. If I recall correctly, several were imported into Western Australia after WWII sans turrets for use as farming and forestry tractors. The armour around the drivers position would have been cut away to increase visibility. This one was in the process of being restored back into a tank so a new glasis plate sitting in place restoring the driver area to original.
                          > >
                          > > Paul Napier
                          > >
                          > > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <rallim56@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Nathan,
                          > > > Many of them were used to haul logs as logging trucks, I recall back in the
                          > > > 60's there was one which had been modified so you sat backwards in the cab
                          > > > and it had a form of fork lift arrangement to lift logs, many others were
                          > > > modified with a grab arrangement to lift wholestick cane onto cane trucks.
                          > > > Brian
                          > > > Qld. Aust.

                        • David & Crenagh
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
                            When Madill started building High lead equipment in the 1950s here in
                            Vancouver Island BC they used tank chassis and engines to power the machine
                            and just added the portable tower on. They exported to Australia.

                            David

                            Victoria BC Canada

                            _____

                            <mailto:ausnarrowgauge%40yahoogroups.com> , "Brian" <rallim56@> wrote:

                            > > > Nathan,
                            > > > Many of them were used to haul logs as logging trucks, I recall back
                            in the
                            > > > 60's there was one which had been modified so you sat backwards in the
                            cab
                            > > > and it had a form of fork lift arrangement to lift logs, many others
                            were
                            > > > modified with a grab arrangement to lift wholestick cane onto cane
                            trucks.
                            > > > Brian
                            > > > Qld. Aust.

                            07/31/11

                          • Graeme Nitz
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
                              My Uncle Con had a dairy farm in Corryong, Vic and he had a Bren Gun Carrier he used as a tractor especially when clearing land. this was the first "Car" I ever drove!!

                              Graeme Nitz

                              There are 10 types of people in this world.
                              Those that understand Binary and those that don't.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                                Yes Bren/Universal Carriers had a multitude of civilian use in the bush and on farms. One was even used in New Zealand to shunt rail wagons at a sawmill.

                                I have posted some of my favourate Bren carrier pictures in the vehicles folder - they show the same carrier used on a NZ South Island high country station in the 1950s with much of the armour removed and used to carry hay bales and wool bales. It would make a great lineside model.

                                Paul Napier

                                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Graeme Nitz <nuts4prr@...> wrote:

                                > My Uncle Con had a dairy farm in Corryong, Vic and he had a Bren Gun Carrier he used as a tractor especially when clearing land. this was the first "Car" I ever drove!!
                                >
                                > Graeme Nitz
                                >
                                > There are 10 types of people in this world.
                                > Those that understand Binary and those that don't.
                              • Brett Payne
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                                  Best Bren Gun Carrier conversion I have seen is the Boxthorn Hedge
                                  Cutter preserved as the Tawhiti Museum in New Zealand.
                                  http://www.tawhitimuseum.co.nz/

                                  Brett Payne
                                  F&MP RR Co. - "We're Itchin to Go!"

                                  http://fairplaymosquitopass.blogspot.com/

                                  On 2/09/2011 7:54 PM, tankienz wrote:

                                  > Yes Bren/Universal Carriers had a multitude of civilian use in the
                                  > bush and on farms. One was even used in New Zealand to shunt rail
                                  > wagons at a sawmill.
                                  >
                                  > I have posted some of my favourate Bren carrier pictures in the
                                  > vehicles folder - they show the same carrier used on a NZ South Island
                                  > high country station in the 1950s with much of the armour removed and
                                  > used to carry hay bales and wool bales. It would make a great lineside
                                  > model.
                                  >
                                  > Paul Napier
                                  >
                                  > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:ausnarrowgauge%40yahoogroups.com>, Graeme Nitz <nuts4prr@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > My Uncle Con had a dairy farm in Corryong, Vic and he had a Bren Gun
                                  > Carrier he used as a tractor especially when clearing land. this was
                                  > the first "Car" I ever drove!!
                                  > >
                                  > > Graeme Nitz

                                • James
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                                    Those who are intrerested in modelling Blitz trucks will find the October issue of AMRM to be of interest...

                                    James McInerney
                                    Production Manager
                                    Australian Model Railway Magazine
                                    Ph: (02) 8812 2058

                                    www.australianmodelrailways.com
                                    SCR Publications (02) 9311 2036
                                  • tankienz
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                                      I've added two pictures to vehicle folder of a Sherman tank based Madill in New Zealand. I've also seen later M48 tank chassis used.

                                      Paul
                                      --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "David & Crenagh" <theelliotts@...> wrote:

                                      > When Madill started building High lead equipment in the 1950s here in
                                      > Vancouver Island BC they used tank chassis and engines to power the machine
                                      > and just added the portable tower on. They exported to Australia.
                                      >

                                      > David
                                      >
                                      > Victoria BC Canada
                                    • Nathan Badcock
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 6, 2011