NK1 plans?

  • glenn_howe
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi All,

      Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?

      Cheers,
      Glenn Howe
    • ianj0trains
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
        Hi Glenn,

        Before you start scratchbuilding, I'm assuming you're aware Steam and Things sell this in both 1/4", 3.5mm and 4mm scale ?

        Website is http://www.steamandthings.com/ Go to products by country, then scroll down to Australia, and it is listed there under Victoria.

        Cheers

        Ian J

        --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Glenn Howe

      • glenn_howe
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2010
          Thanks Ian,
          I'm aware of the SteamnThings kit but soldering brass is not my thing. Besides a sheet of styrene, a sharp knife and MEK are a lot cheaper.
          Cheers, Glenn.

          --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "ianj0trains" <ianaj@...> wrote:

          > Hi Glenn,
          >
          > Before you start scratchbuilding, I'm assuming you're aware Steam and Things sell this in both 1/4", 3.5mm and 4mm scale ?
          >
          > Website is http://www.steamandthings.com/ Go to products by country, then scroll down to Australia, and it is listed there under Victoria.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Ian J
          >

          > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Glenn Howe

        • rjt_46
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2010
            G'day Glenn,

            file is about 2.5meg, how big is one allowed to post here ?

            cheers,
            Bob

            --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Glenn Howe

          • glenn_howe
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
              Thanks Bob thats great!
              Now how to power the wee beasty in HOn30?
              Cheers, Glenn.

              --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "rjt_46" <rjt_46@...> wrote:

              > G'day Glenn,
              >
              > file is about 2.5meg, how big is one allowed to post here ?
              >
              > cheers,
              > Bob
              >

              > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Glenn Howe

            • loggingloco1
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
                Dear Glenn,

                Hollywood Foundry would be one option,

                half a Life Like SW1200 with a pager motor or similar would be another...

                Happy Modelling,
                Aim to Improve,
                Prof Klyzlr

                PS a 3rd option would be a powered trailing load, like a flat or gon with tarp'd load, covering a SW1200 mech...

                --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Bob thats great!
                > Now how to power the wee beasty in HOn30?
                > Cheers, Glenn.
                >
                > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "rjt_46" <rjt_46@> wrote:
                > >
                > > G'day Glenn,
                > >
                > > file is about 2.5meg, how big is one allowed to post here ?
                > >
                > > cheers,
                > > Bob
                > >

                > > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi All,
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know where I can find plans for the VR's postal motor NK1 and trailer?
                > > >
                > > > Cheers,
                > > > Glenn Howe

              • danpickard2004
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
                  Glenn,
                  I am currently building an On30 open NKS motor trolley, as used for a similar mail service and rail gangers trolley on the Beechy line (using reference photos from the "Focus on Beech Forets Line" series of books). I have used one of the Hollywood Foundry "gozunder" units as the base of the unit, and driving it with one of the Nigel Lawton 6v micro-motors (just 6mm diameter, 10mm long and they come with the appropriate resistor to drop it from 12v to 6v), and using a belt and pulley set-up with components from Nigel Lawton. So far operating well in its early basic stage, and am about to start adding weight to the unit with a couple of white metal figures and getting some lead below the running boards. The motor will either be hidden under a storage crate, or disguised as a large fuel tank. I'll eventually post some pics when it looks more than a tacked together brass spine.

                  I know mine is an On30 version, but that particular motor (which is similar to the "pager" motor Prof refers too (as used to make a pager or mobile phone vibrate) would be the smallest option for the likes of a HOn30 model. Try browsing Nigel Lawton 009 for a few ideas. The version from Steam and Things looked ok, but I wasn't real keen on the size of the motor within the cab. The set-up I'm using is basically a smaller belt drive version of one of Geoff's Bullant mechs.

                  I also recently used some of the Nigel Lawton belts and pulleys to rework a bachmann ballast spreader mech (part of another small speeder bash I have on the go), which was very noisy with the plastic gearing, but now runs near silent with a new belt drive system.

                  Cheers,
                  Dan Pickard

                  --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "loggingloco1" <johnd@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Glenn,
                  >
                  > Hollywood Foundry would be one option,
                  >
                  > half a Life Like SW1200 with a pager motor or similar would be another...
                  >
                  > Happy Modelling,
                  > Aim to Improve,
                  > Prof Klyzlr
                  >
                  > PS a 3rd option would be a powered trailing load, like a flat or gon with tarp'd load, covering a SW1200 mech...
                  >

                  > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Bob thats great!
                  > > Now how to power the wee beasty in HOn30?
                  > > Cheers, Glenn.
                  > >
                  > > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "rjt_46" <rjt_46@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > G'day Glenn,
                  > > >
                  > > > file is about 2.5meg, how big is one allowed to post here ?
                  > > >
                  > > > cheers,
                  > > > Bob

                • Mike Bauers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
                    There are ways to take the gears from a Kato or similar N-scale power
                    truck, place those parts between two sheets of plastic or metal, then
                    drive it with your choice of motor and the original worm gear. Even
                    if you need to have a different wheelbase than the original N-scale
                    power truck used. You use a very simple method to accurately relocate
                    the gears between the new side-plates.

                    If you'd like, I can the pass on links to tiny and modestly priced
                    gearboxes the tabletop R/C car people use for their R/C HO VW-Beetles
                    and similar very tiny vehicles. It's also a great resource for
                    matching tiny gearing. I don't know about their 3-vt motors. I prefer
                    a certain 4-mm 12-vt motor. But they certainly have the gearboxes and
                    gearing

                    I must run to work now..............

                    Best to ya'
                    Mike Bauers
                    Milwaukee Wi, USA

                  • Rory
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
                      Hi All,

                      If you're after a very small 12V motor, I have picked up a couple for some N Scale projects that you guys may be interested in.

                      It looks like a Mashima 1015, but is a bit smaller.

                      It measures 15mm long, 9.9mm tall and 8mm wide and is also double ended

                      It's available from http://www.badgerbits.com.au/

                      I've seen them at Punchbowl hobbies as well. They're about AU$15 each.

                      I've given them a bit of a run in a few little things I have, and I'm very happy with the result

                      Rory
                    • glenn_howe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2010
                        Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low voltage pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an article in an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection on using one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the technical details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered toy kit that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again its meant for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                        Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with pickups on the trailer.

                        Cheers, Glenn.
                      • danpickard2004
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2010
                          Glenn,
                          The low voltage pager motor (@6v) will fair just fine on a 12v track so long as the approriate resistor is used before the motor to reduce that voltage. I was looking at the 12v N scale ones that Rory refered to from Badgerbits, after discussing them with Phil Badger when he was up at Stawell earlier this year. I chose the 6v one fron Nigel Lawton because they were a smaller unit again, and he has been using them in his 4mm & 7mm loco kits with success (the motors he sell also come with the correst resistor to make the voltage drop).

                          Dan Pickard

                          --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low voltage pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an article in an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection on using one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the technical details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered toy kit that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again its meant for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                          > Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with pickups on the trailer.
                          >
                          > Cheers, Glenn.

                        • Geoff
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2010
                            Glenn,

                            The motor from the solar toy is probably down around 3 volts, and getting a bit far away from 12 volts. And these small motors are not always that good. Whereas the motors supplied by Nigel Lawton are actually known to work well in models. I would suggest it is worth your while buying a known good motor from a known good source.

                            Geoff

                            --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low voltage pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an article in an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection on using one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the technical details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered toy kit that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again its meant for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                            > Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with pickups on the trailer.
                            >
                            > Cheers, Glenn.

                          • Mike Bauers
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2010
                              On Sep 4, 2010, at 6:46 AM, glenn_howe wrote:

                              > Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low voltage
                              > pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an article in
                              > an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection on using
                              > one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the technical
                              > details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered toy kit
                              > that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again its meant
                              > for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                              > Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can
                              > pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with
                              > pickups on the trailer.
                              >
                              > Cheers, Glenn.

                              It greatly depends upon the tech of the individual pager motor.

                              Most are coreless 3-4 volt motors that will internally fall apart
                              under the higher speeds and current of 6-12 volts. They quite
                              literally will self-destruct by uncoiling the glued together internal
                              windings and jamming to a stop.

                              There are some pager motors that are built like the traditional model
                              RR motor with pole windings around a core. I don't know what they were
                              designed to run at. But at least one make Motorola had built will run
                              at 12-volts with no problems. This has been tested by a modeler that
                              ran one for over 30-days at 12-volts without it even feeling very
                              warm after that. To my knowledge, these are only available from one
                              USA surplus center.

                              detailed and linked here..... [ also contains links to very tiny
                              gearing and gear-boxes ]

                              <http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=100632&page=9>

                              direct.....

                              <http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13566&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

                              The big problem is that the paper motors are very rarely identified as
                              to which type of tiny motor they are.

                              One solution is to operate under DCC and lock down your pager-motored
                              speeders so that they will never reach a destructive maximum voltage.

                              Best to ya,
                              Mike Bauers
                              Milwaukee, Wi
                            • Mike Bauers
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 4, 2010
                                Notice the drive on this HOn30 speeder..........

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDoR1T_TzjY

                                Best to ya,
                                Mike Bauers
                                Milwaukee, Wi

                                On Sep 4, 2010, at 5:30 PM, Geoff wrote:

                                > Glenn,
                                >
                                > The motor from the solar toy is probably down around 3 volts, and
                                > getting a bit far away from 12 volts. And these small motors are not
                                > always that good. Whereas the motors supplied by Nigel Lawton are
                                > actually known to work well in models. I would suggest it is worth
                                > your while buying a known good motor from a known good source.
                                >
                                > Geoff
                                >
                                > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low
                                >> voltage pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an
                                >> article in an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection
                                >> on using one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the
                                >> technical details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered
                                >> toy kit that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again
                                >> its meant for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                                >> Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can
                                >> pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with
                                >> pickups on the trailer.
                                >>
                                >> Cheers, Glenn.
                              • brad
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 5, 2010
                                  hi glenn,

                                  i have a steam and things kit in a draw in the workshop.
                                  its on the to do list,

                                  i have a N scale powered bogie from aust n rail. it is about the right
                                  size,

                                  it is complete with bogie, pickup and motor.

                                  see link
                                  http://www.aust-n-rail.com.au/category26_1.htm

                                  Rob gets them from japan
                                  http://www.prohobby.sakura.ne.jp/e_page/c9.html

                                  they are the cand-1 power car

                                  regards
                                  brad m

                                  --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:

                                  > On Sep 4, 2010, at 6:46 AM, glenn_howe wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Thanks for your input gents, does anyone know how well a low voltage
                                  > > pager motor will fare on a 12v supply? I know there is an article in
                                  > > an old Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette in my collection on using
                                  > > one to power an Nn3 railcar but I don't recall the technical
                                  > > details. I have a similar tiny motor from a solar powered toy kit
                                  > > that would be a good size if I can gear it down, but again its meant
                                  > > for a very low voltage, will it get fried?
                                  > > Like the prototype i'd have only one axle driven so the other can
                                  > > pivot making a three point suspension and better pickup, along with
                                  > > pickups on the trailer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers, Glenn.
                                  >
                                  > It greatly depends upon the tech of the individual pager motor.
                                  >
                                  > Most are coreless 3-4 volt motors that will internally fall apart
                                  > under the higher speeds and current of 6-12 volts. They quite
                                  > literally will self-destruct by uncoiling the glued together internal
                                  > windings and jamming to a stop.
                                  >
                                  > There are some pager motors that are built like the traditional model
                                  > RR motor with pole windings around a core. I don't know what they were
                                  > designed to run at. But at least one make Motorola had built will run
                                  > at 12-volts with no problems. This has been tested by a modeler that
                                  > ran one for over 30-days at 12-volts without it even feeling very
                                  > warm after that. To my knowledge, these are only available from one
                                  > USA surplus center.
                                  >
                                  > detailed and linked here..... [ also contains links to very tiny
                                  > gearing and gear-boxes ]
                                  >
                                  > <http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=100632&page=9>
                                  >
                                  > direct.....
                                  >
                                  > <http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13566&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1
                                  > >

                                  > The big problem is that the paper motors are very rarely identified as
                                  > to which type of tiny motor they are.
                                  >
                                  > One solution is to operate under DCC and lock down your pager-motored
                                  > speeders so that they will never reach a destructive maximum voltage.
                                  >
                                  > Best to ya,
                                  > Mike Bauers
                                  > Milwaukee, Wi

                                • Rod Hutchinson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 8, 2010
                                    Hi all,

                                    Has anyone constructed the BGM - Station Detail Kit (HO). I am not sure how the scales go together.
                                    A couple of pictures may help me.

                                    Regards
                                    Rod Hutchinson
                                    Mooroolbark, Australia