CLIMAX - revisited

  • k27rgs
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2010
      enjoy

      http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_climax1.html

      Hope it gets back on track one day soon

      regards

      Mario
    • Geoff Potter
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2010
        Mario,

        thanks for the great images. How long now since she steamed?

        Geoff Potter
        Wamberal NSW

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2010
          Hi Geoff

          Not sure when last steamed. Maybe someone will let us know.

          cheers
        • fstamford
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2010
            The year of the last run was 2001, I do not have immediate access to the actual date, but it was around the middle of the year.

            Return to service is dependent on our success in raising funds for various parts, most particularly new wheels and axles ($95,000).

            Regards,

            Frank
            (member of the Climax Locomotive Restoration Committee, PBPS)

            --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "k27rgs" <mjbd@...> wrote:

            > Hi Geoff
            >
            > Not sure when last steamed. Maybe someone will let us know.
            >
            > cheers

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2010
              Is that complete wheels and axles Frank or just new tyres and axles?

              Brian
              Qld.Aust.
              The year of the last run was 2001, I do not have immediate access to the
              actual date, but it was around the middle of the year.

              Return to service is dependent on our success in raising funds for various
              parts, most particularly new wheels and axles ($95,000).

              Regards,

              Frank
              (member of the Climax Locomotive Restoration Committee, PBPS)

              --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "k27rgs" <mjbd@...> wrote:

              > Hi Geoff
              >
              > Not sure when last steamed. Maybe someone will let us know.
              >
              > cheers

            • Geoff Potter
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2010
                Thanks Frank,

                I was just curious as to the last year of operation.
                What we need in Australia is a heritage lottery fund, such as that in England that assists with all kinds of heritage related projects.

                regards
                Geoff Potter
                Wamberal NSW

                ________________________________
                The year of the last run was 2001, I do not have immediate access to the actual date, but it was around the middle of the year.

                Return to service is dependent on our success in raising funds for various parts, most particularly new wheels and axles ($95,000).

                Regards,

                Frank
                (member of the Climax Locomotive Restoration Committee, PBPS)

                --- In ausnarrowgauge@ yahoogroups. com, "k27rgs" <mjbd@...> wrote:

                > Hi Geoff
                >
                > Not sure when last steamed. Maybe someone will let us know.
                >
                > cheers

              • k27rgs
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2010
                  I went thru all my PB climax documents and history notes and found something written by High Markwick.

                  STOP PRESS. Climax 1694 is now ( April 2001 ) out of service pending major boiler restoration work.

                  "M"

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2010
                    --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "k27rgs" <mjbd@...> wrote:

                    > I went thru all my PB climax documents and history notes and found something written by High Markwick.
                    >
                    > STOP PRESS. Climax 1694 is now ( April 2001 ) out of service pending major boiler restoration work.
                    >
                    > "M"

                    Hello k27rgs, Geoff, Brian and others,

                    All the boiler work is now complete, the boiler has been tested, and is now in dry storage, waiting for the frames to be ready to receive it.

                    We have new tyres for the loco, but unfortunately in crack testing the axles it was found they did have cracks. On further analysis it was found the cracks were due to an inherent weakness in the design. This was because the trucks are designed for a 3ft gauge loco, and the wheels were pushed in to make the loco 2ft 6in gauge, and the wheels were modified with 3 inch extensions to the bosses.

                    Climax loco 1694 is the only one known to have been built to 2ft 6in gauge, and when working for the Forests Commission Victoria broke axles on at least seven occasions, and turned over once.

                    Analysis of the cracks shows that they were not due to twisting or torsional stresses - the axles could not support the weight of the loco, even when standing.

                    The solution to this problem is to use new wheels of a keyless design, and new axles of the correct grade of steel. The new wheels and axles have been designed, using a very advanced computer technique called Finite Element Analysis. This work was done free of charge and would have cost $40,000 if we had to pay for it. However the new wheels and axles will cost $95,000.

                    A lot of other work has already been completed, including the replacement of many cast iron parts which were found to have developed cracks.

                    Regards,

                    Frank

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2010
                      Frank,
                      The Eimco loco's we have here at Marian, also suffered the same problem with
                      too much extension from the outside wheel face to where the bearings are,
                      the solution was to make new wheel centres which are bubbled or domed, which
                      means the wheel centres now mount on the axles close to the bearings, but
                      the stress is carried out to the tyre which is set in bound. We haven't
                      broken anymore axles since this modification was done.

                      Brian
                      Qld.Aust.