Re: 9th Australian Narrow Gauge Convention

  • Mario Rapinett
    Message 1 of 79 , May 1, 2009
      G'day All,

      I am still on the road to recovery , but currently have lost the zest for life and modeling in general. I sleep most of the time. This is typical after a heart attack and compared to many, I was lucky....

      I was surpised that my "throw away" line attracted so many excellent comments... I did not mean to critise anyone, as the much modeling was of a typical high standard, "compared" that of past years.

      Yes... I personally, have and will continue to model similar to others, including adding the "rust". However some of the projects that I have completed, are at a "well built" finish.

      The two "shadow box" layouts that where at the convention, will inspire an incredible number of people to "ave a go" . I was involved ( as a visitor ) with the RED STAG in the early days. Watching the layout grow, helped me get ideas for "Enterprise Logging"....

      Look guys...... I'm not so obsessed any more about the hobby... I've sat down with "the best of the best" in Australia and all over the USA.... Learnt many of their tricks and some of them adopted some of my own personal approaches to the hobby...

      The standard of modeling in Australia, in the eyes of 95% of the modelers around the world, is extremely high.....

      I'm was still trying to come up with something new, that would excite some of the "been there, done that" crowd... until recently....

      Great to see and hear so many comments regarding the state of the hobby at the moment. I'm sure many others have thought the same.

      In the meantime... I'ii catch ya somewhere, one day soon

      Mario

      --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "danpickard2004" <pickard6@...> wrote:

      > --- In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Mario Rapinett" <mjbd@> wrote:
      > > Judging by the photos, it seems the standard of modeling has come to a stand still over the past 4 years. Same old stuff.
      > > I'd love to see a "rust free" model contest, one day and "craftsman" detailing.
      > >
      > > cheers all
      > >
      > > Mario
      > >
      > Mario,
      > Firstly, thankyou for your support of our work on your website with a nice pictorial coverage of the Dolly Varden project.
      >
      > I was a bit confused by the above comment though about rust free modelling. Does this mean your website is about to have a major clean out? Lets see...Dave Revelia, Brian Nolan, Marc Reusser, Karl Osolinski, Mic Greenburg, perhaps the greatest there is in Chuck Doan, all feature heavily in the "art" section of your galleries. I would like to see the suggestion that some of Chuck's work is too rusty. Even someone like Lane Stewart, who's work is so inspiring and imaginative to look at for character modelling, but still has a great deal of very feasable elements to it. There is also great support on your pages for some notable local talent like Geoff Nott, Steve Pettit, Laurie Green and John Hunter. I bet you'll find they are all kind of keen of a bit of the old rust coloured powders. Perhaps you should look at some of your own pieces even, last time I checked, there was still good amounts of rust and decay in amongst it.
      > >
      > Food for though? Probably not...
      >
      > My rant for the morning.
      >
      > Dan Pickard

    • fanai59
      Message 79 of 79 , May 15, 2009
        Wiuld have to agree with you about Marks work & Swans Crossing, Mario and you could not meet a nicer couple in Mark and Angela

        The Other of course id the one that inspired me way back in 1988 which was Vulcan Vale buy Rick Richardson (sadly passed on to the big Trainroom)
        Ian