15545RE: Electronics advice needed

  • loggingloco1
    Oct 12, 2013

      Dear Michael,

      According to the well-respected "Model RR and Misc Electronics" site, 470K ohm and 0.1uF should help tame random trigger input noise...

      http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#5

      Having used the Stall-Motor 556-based circuit to drive (and stall) a MicroMark Switchtender motor, I can confirm that they can drive much higher than 70ma, and with an 0.1uF cap filtering the input right at the IC, switching is 100% reliable.

      Happy Modelling,
      Aim to Improve,
      Prof Klyzlr

      ---In ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, <ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I am working on some automation that uses magnets, reed switches 555 timers and relays, all running on a 12V regulated supply. I believe I am getting noise problems because the 555 timer randomly triggers without a magnet going near the reed switch. The reed switch is on the end of a metre or so of cable.

      The reed switch will pull the input trigger to ground when it is activated. What does the group consider to be a reasonable value for the pullup resistor. Should I have other filtering such as a small capacitor across the reed switch connector? If so, what value?

      I have previously found that while the data sheets claim that a 555 timer can drive a small relay (say 70mA), I have found the switching transients cause the timer switching functions to fail. I now use a small NPN tranistor to isolate the 555 from the relay. This seems to work well.The board has a 220uF Electroletic and a 10uF Tantualum capacitor across the power supply. Each chip also has a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor across its power pins.

      Regards,
      Michael Milway
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic