[aum] It's 10:00PM, do you know where my children are? I don't. I'm just the father!

  • leybae
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 1999
      As you can see in the following article, it's a common practice of
      this century not to consider a father to decide the future of his
      children when they are not living with him (Abroad must be worse). As
      fathers, I think, we should address this case to the American People.

      Thank You

      leybae@...
      a father of three.
      Sunday November 28 12:18 PM ET

      Cuba Seeks Return of Boy Survivor of Migrant Drama

      By Pascal Fletcher

      HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuba said on Sunday it asked the United States to
      return a 5-year-old Cuban boy who was rescued
      by the U.S. Coast Guard after a boat carrying 13 Cuban migrants sank
      off the Florida coast last week.

      A Foreign Ministry statement, published under the title ``A new crime
      by the United States against the people of Cuba,''
      blamed the U.S. government and its migration policies for the incident
      in which seven Cubans drowned and three others
      were missing.

      It said the mother and stepfather of the boy, Elian Gonzalez, drowned
      in the sinking, but the boy's father, Juan Miguel
      Gonzalez Quintana, remained in Cuba and had asked that his son be
      returned to him.

      official proceedings through the U.S. Interests Section
      in our country for the kidnapped boy to be returned as soon as possible
      to his father,'' the statement said.

      It added the boy, who had been in the legal custody of his mother and
      stepfather, was taken out of the island ``illegally'' and
      without consulting the father, who comes from Cardenas on the northwest
      coast of Cuba.

      In the latest drama involving illegal Cuban migrants trying to reach
      the United States, the boy was found by boaters on Thursday clinging to
      an inner tube off Fort Lauderdale. He was one of three survivors from a
      group of Cubans whose 17-foot (5-meter) aluminum boat sank in rough
      weather on Tuesday.

      The boy has relatives in the Miami area and was released late on Friday
      into their custody. He had been treated in a Florida hospital for
      exposure.