Fwd: Afghan Men: Another Success Story

  • qim
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Dear list,

      It's important that we all participate in these initiatives by men's
      health. I got to know Ed Bartlett, the head of men's health, real
      well a few years ago, and he's one of the best men's advocates I have
      met on the net. His motivations are pure and he knows the score,
      plus he has status in the public health field. We need alot more
      guys like him, but until then, let's give him our full support.

      Tom

      --- In menshealth@y..., "eba12002" <eba@i...> wrote:
      AFGHAN MEN: ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY

      In Phase I, we succeeded in getting media coverage on the plight of
      Afghan men. In Phase II, we have succeeded in engaging key decision-
      makers at Amnesty International. And we have achieved far greater
      awareness of the issue on an international level.

      Today we are wrapping up Phase II of the Afghan Men campaign.

      We have identified persons who will continue to monitor Amnesty
      International, and will insist that AI end its practice of a
      promoting
      a double-standard of human rights.

      We feel passionately that Afghan men should have as much right to
      life,
      health, and happiness as any other person. So we couldn't resist
      putting together just one more e-mail.

      As before, please add your name and address, modify it any way you
      want, and e-mail it to ikhan@ amnesty.org [take out the space after
      the
      `@']:

      -------------------------

      Dear Ms. Khan:

      In 1995, Amnesty International published the first of seven reports
      specific to human rights violations in Afghanistan. These reports
      received extensive media coverage, and over the years, persons began
      think of gender-specific mistreatment only in terms of the abuses of
      women's rights.

      At its April 7, 2000 meeting, the President of the U.N. Security
      Council issued a lengthy condemnation of the mistreatment of women in
      Afghanistan. But when it came time to highlight the widespread
      detentions, torture, and massacre of men, he euphemistically referred
      to the "separation of men from their families."

      On November 17, 2001, First Lady Laura Bush gave a radio address in
      which she claimed, "The fight against terrorism is also a fight for
      the
      rights and dignity of women." She said not a word about the rights
      and
      dignity of men.

      Recently, Afghan interim Prime Minister Hamid Karzai signed the
      Declaration of the Essential Rights of Afghan Women. The Declaration
      affirms women's right to personal safety, education, and to physical
      and mental health. The Declaration was silent on the topic of men's
      rights to personal safety and health.

      In your quest to highlight the "invisibility" of women's rights
      abuses, Amnesty International has succeeded in establishing a double-
      standard of human rights in Afghanistan, one standard for women, and
      another, lower standard for men.

      This is an accomplishment that no organization that purports to
      promote universal standards of human rights should be proud of.

      Sincerely,
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Bonessa Cezanne
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002

        I wrote to the senators and congressmen in West Virginia regarding this issue and got supportive responses from all of them.   Bonessa

        Blessings WildFlowers and Rainbows,and Passion

        Bonessa Cezanne - Astrologer and Writer of Trash Romances
        �2002 All rights reserved

        Do You Yahoo!?
      • QIMNews
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- Bonessa Cezanne <bonijean11@...> wrote:

          > I wrote to the senators and congressmen in West Virginia regarding this
          > issue and got supportive responses from all of them. Bonessa

          Great Bonessa. Thanks.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Bonessa Cezanne
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002

              QIMNews <QIMNews@...> wrote:

            --- Bonessa Cezanne <bonijean11@...> wrote:

            >  I wrote to the senators and congressmen in West Virginia regarding this
            > issue and got supportive responses from all of them.   Bonessa

            Great Bonessa.  Thanks.

            Tom

            If only the California Politicians were also supportive.  I used to write to them and never get responses back.