Letter Published: Is this shooting case a good argument for mandatory paternity testing of all newborns?

  • Don Mathis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2013
      Is this shooting case a good argument for mandatory paternity testing of all newborns?
      I read about the Dallas man who was sentenced to prison for shooting a woman after learning he wasn’t father of her twins. This is a good argument for mandatory paternity testing of all newborns.
      Walter Moore is the victim of the worst type of fraud imaginable — paternity fraud.
      What’s more, the biological father is out there somewhere. And there’s a good chance he will be upset when he learns he was cheated out of the first two years of his little girls’ lives. Consider also that the little girls will miss the man they called dad for their first two years of life.
      Yes, let’s give sympathy for the mother, the victim of violence. But what if there was a penalty for the type of treachery she perpetrated? Would such a punishment prevent the next case of paternity fraud?
      Truth may be a dangerous thing, but it would have prevented the shooting of Shiva Daniels.
      Our legislators should consider paternity testing for all newborns. Children, men and women would benefit.
      Don Mathis, San Antonio

      Dallas man gets 38 years in prison for shooting woman outside Dallas jail after learning he wasn’t father of her twins - By Julie Fancherjfancher@... 11:12 am on June 17, 2013

      A critically injured Shiva Daniels used what she thought would be her final breaths to name her attacker.
      “I’ve been shot,” she told a 911 dispatcher after last year’s attack outside Dawson State Jail in Dallas. “Walter Moore. I’m dying, I’m dying, please help me.”
      Daniels survived the Jan. 10, 2012, attack, and on Friday her estranged boyfriend was found guilty of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury and domestic violence. He was sentenced to 38 years in prison.
      Moore, armed with a shotgun, ambushed Daniels in the parking lot of the jail where she worked, shooting her twice in the neck and shoulder as she sat in her minivan. He fled but turned himself in to police the next morning.
      Moore, 30, and Daniels, 27, were involved in a custody dispute over her 2-year old twin daughters. However, just a week before the shooting, a paternity test revealed he was not the biological father of the girls.
      Moore’s attorney, Dan Montalvo, said that after learning the children were not his, his client became depressed and withdrawn and acted “out of character” when he attacked Daniels. The defense never disputed that he shot Daniels, only that he was not in his right mind when he did.
      Prosecutors argued that Moore knew exactly what he was doing when he shot Daniels and was angry that she had not been letting him see the girls.
      Last Thursday the prosecution presented Davis’ surgeon, first responders and detectives who all testified that Daniels, who almost died from her injuries, had positively identified Moore as her shooter.
      The defense presented Moore’s friends and families who testified that although they knew he had shot Daniels, they were concerned about his mental state at the time.
      Moore testified on his own behalf last week, saying he became suicidal just days before the shooting. He also expressed remorse for his actions.
      “If I could apologize to her I would,” he said. “I was not a guy who harmed someone.”