Boys and Reading

  • Robert Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12 12:27 PM

      Boys and Reading – David Greene
      Posted on April 17, 2013 by Tom
      boysreadIn a relatively recent New York Times article, Robert Lipsyte, a sports author, posed the following question: “Boys and Reading: Is There Any Hope?”
      The U.S. Department of Education’s reading tests for the last thirty years show boys scoring worse than girls every year in every age group. Those of us who have been following the issues revolving around boys’ education are not surprised at all.
      Mothers often ask why their sons can’t read. The truth is more often not that they can’t, but that most boys are simply reluctant to read for a variety of reasons.
      Most elementary school and secondary school English teachers who teach reading in English Language Arts time or classes do it through works of fiction. Most also happen to be female and choose titles with which they are more likely to identify. Most studies show female students learn reading better through fiction, especially emotive works with female central characters. In fact, most of these stories, especially in the younger years are more emotive and far less action oriented.
      Rather than expanding reading selections with material that will better engage boys to read, schools tend to work with books that will encounter less resistance from parents. Boys love to read about things with which many parents today might object.
      For example a boy would rather read a “Hunger Games” or “Harry Potter” than a “My Cheeky Angel”. So if it is fiction, make it action oriented.
      Unfortunately, studies show that boys tend to relate better to non-fiction. But what non-fiction do we offer them? Here are the top 10 sellers according to Goodread.com, a popular site used by teachers for book recommendations:
      1. Redwoods by Jason Chin
      2. Rosa by Nikki Giovanni
      3. Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Claire A. Nivola
      4. Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of Juliette ‘Daisy’ Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure by Shana Corey
      5. Step Gently Out by Helen Frost
      6. Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade by Melissa Sweet
      7. Queen of the Falls by Chris Van Allsburg
      8. Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum by Meghan McCarthy
      9. Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature’s Survivors by Joyce Sidman
      10. 14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy
      How many of those titles would a 9-year-old boy pull off the shelves?
      The other major reason boys reading scores have gone down, especially over the past 12 years, ironically, is the heavy emphasis on testing and test prepping. There is no time for playing or acting out roles. There is only time to sit very still, read, and fill in the practice bubble sheets to prepare for the ELA test.
      The question remains then, “What do boys need to increase their reading skills?”
      Simply, for higher reading success, boys need:
      • Reading lessons with clear, structured instructions with bursts of intense work.
      • Specific goals and praise for success for ACTUAL success and not false praise.
      • Hands-on learning that connects to their reading material
      • Humor. Joke books are fun to read.
      • Choice in reading material: Provide boy centered options even if they make you squeamish. These should also include periodicals, graphic novels (comics), and even technical manuals.
      • Male role models who read, regardless of the material. Any text is reading – including fathers reading the sport pages daily.
      Male drop out rates, college admission rates, graduation rates, and level of employment rates all tell us a sad story. Many males are quickly becoming second-class economic citizens, and not only males of color.
      As a result of new technology now used in all careers, members of both genders must be highly skilled in reading to flourish. For them to matter and have success, even at many of our new manufacturing jobs, they must be able to use the new technology.
      But that technology demands the ability to read and follow the instructions on a computer or tablet. Reading is THE required skill regardless of career and gender. If only one gender is able to make use of it, woe is us.
      _________________________
      David Greene taught Social Studies and coached in NYC, Woodlands HS, Scarsdale HS, and Ardsley HS for 38 years. He mentored Teach For America Corps Members in the Bronx for Fordham University. He presently is a staff member of WISE Services, an organization that helps high schools create and run experiential learning programs for seniors. He is also the treasurer of Save Our Schools March Committee.
      dcgmentor.com
    • Bob Allen
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13 5:47 AM
        They are absolutely right about boys wanting to read something other than girl ficion. When I was in elementary school, I read Popular Science Magazine from cover to cover every month, and Popular Mechanics Magazine too.  Even now my wife reads fiction while I read non-fiction mostly.

        Bob

        Catch more of The World according to Bob at: http://bobstruth.blogspot.com/[Legal Notice: All posts of Bob are rhetorical in nature only, and should not be construed in any other manner. Bob does not advocate insurrection, sedition, murder, violence, assault, or any other criminal or illegal acts. All opinions of Bob are protected political speech under the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.]

        Message 3 of 9 , May 13 9:28 AM
          This is a huge problem for men and boys.  The feminist shitheads took over all the arts including literature.  Most books are geared to women and promoting their feminism.  At audible.com, my site for buying audiobooks, they have a category "chick lit" and "gay and lesbian lit" but nothing for men.  Since the ratings for the books are skewed by women rating them it's almost impossible to tell if the book is any good even if it  has high ratings.  Women's taste in books is incredibly bad.  I've begged audible numerous times to make a men's section based on men's ratings of books.  No go.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , May 13 11:02 AM
            Yep, Tom.  My wife is a English Professor and something of an expert on novels.  She opines that novels written by women are all about feelings.  That contrasts to novels written by men that are all about events or actions. While there are some notable exceptions, she can usually tell you the sex of the author by checking what is said about the feelings of the characters.  Likewise, females read novels about feelings, and men read fiction about events.  The loss of men school teachers has been a disaster for boys.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 14 12:49 PM
              Exactly Bob.  Feelings are extremely boring to us men.  We want action and events!

              Tom

              Message 6 of 9 , May 15 6:48 PM
                --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Smith <qim@...> wrote:

                > Exactly Bob. Feelings are extremely boring to us men. We want action and events!

                I have routinely observed that people reading for pleasure normally choose works by authors of the same sex. There certainly is something to the difference.

                School curricula, though, have rarely given kids much of a choice. It's natural than women in charge of the process would choose female-oriented stuff, and to be honest that's not _that_ bad because kids go to school to learn how to read, not to like reading. That's sometime one picks up (if ever) in one's spare time.

                It seems also that addressing the problem would require admitting the sex differences here, and that's not something we can expect from our current feminist system, where the only sex difference ever acknowledges is that men commit more violence, rape, and other bad stuff.

                Andrew Usher
              • k_over_hbarc
                Message 7 of 9 , May 15 6:54 PM

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16 10:34 AM
                    Our "feminist system" is legally mandated.  You bet it's not allowed teaching sex differences.

                    Our feminist government anally rapes us every day.  Hey Andrew, did I state the right?

                    Tom

                    > Exactly Bob. Feelings are extremely boring to us men. We want action and events!

                    I have routinely observed that people reading for pleasure normally choose works by authors of the same sex. There certainly is something to the difference.

                    School curricula, though, have rarely given kids much of a choice. It's natural than women in charge of the process would choose female-oriented stuff, and to be honest that's not _that_ bad because kids go to school to learn how to read, not to like reading. That's sometime one picks up (if ever) in one's spare time.

                    It seems also that addressing the problem would require admitting the sex differences here, and that's not something we can expect from our current feminist system, where the only sex difference ever acknowledges is that men commit more violence, rape, and other bad stuff.

                    Andrew Usher

                  • laurence almand
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16 3:22 PM
                      If the malicious Feminazis who infest the educationl system especially the elementary school system  -  all books by all male authors would be banned as   "sexist."

                      Laurence