there goes the vote

  • Advocate
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012

      Quest for Women's 2012 Push-Back Vote Begins

      By WeNews staff

      Thursday, March 1, 2012

      Ultrasounds and welfare drug-testing are just two of this week's news issues that could stoke the fire under HERVotes, a coalition of 50 women's rights groups formed in August that is announcing a major voter-mobilization effort today.

      (WOMENSENEWS)--More than 50 women's rights organizations will be using March 1, the first day of women's history month, to announce a voter-major mobilization effort for the 2012 elections.

      The coalition is called HERVotes, with the HER standing for Health and Economic Rights. Goals include standing up for Medicare, Medicaid, the Affordable Care Act, livable wages and families' economic security.

      HERVotes throws its collective weight into the elections in a week jangling with news spurs; from GOP candidate Mitt Romney's expressed enthusiasm for mandated drug coverage of welfare recipients--more than 90 percent of whom are women--to a controversial Senate bill allowing employers to opt out of the health reform mandate to provide insurance coverage of birth control.

      Bookmark and
Share

      HERVotes has a Web site, but no central office or designated leader. Members include the Feminist Majority Foundation in Arlington,Va.; the National Council of Negro Women in Washington and MomsRising.org, an online group with contact phone numbers in Washington, D.C.

      Earlier this week, HERVotes organizers said they are "determined to ensure that women have access to quality health care; to protect the gains women have made in education, the workplace, health care and basic individual rights and to continue moving forward an equality agenda."

      A related voter drive can safely be assumed to benefit Democrats, who are more likely to oppose such things as mandatory pre-abortion sonograms (just passed in a watered-down version in Virginia and coming up in Idaho and Pennsylvania) and more likely to favor birth control coverage in health reform, which is being taken up by the U.S. Senate this week.

      A Boost for Obama

      If HERVotes does manage to boost the women's vote in November, President Barack Obama is poised to benefit.

      An Associated Press-GfK poll finds the president's approval ratings on the economy and unemployment up by 10 perc
      --
      Live for nothing; die for something
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
        50 well funded, by the government, women's orgs are gearing up to strengthen the matriarchy's grip on the society.  Hey Earl, it's like fighting City Hall for crissakes with our hands tied behind our backs and gagged!

        Tom

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
          --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, Tom Smith <qim@...> wrote:

          > 50 well funded, by the government, women's orgs are gearing up to strengthen the matriarchy's grip on the society.

          And the media backs them; that's why we never hear of their sources of funding! The mass media has become one of the most powerful forces in society since even the government can't successfully challenge them anymore. They just keep repeating their message until 'all good people' believe it. The first thing I'd do, I swear, if I were king, is to declare that the First Amendment applies to private individuals only, and clean up all the filthy media organisations.

          Andrew Usher