Wikipedia: Masculism

  • QIMNews
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      After reading a few surprisingly good web encyclopedia
      essays on Masculism, I stumbled
      on the Wikipedia masculism page which struck me as by
      far the best essay.
      That was a month ago and they have revised it since
      and have refined it
      even better.

      Tom

      http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki.cgi?action=browse&diff=1&id=Masculism&diffr
      evision=13

      Masculism

      Masculism (Men's Rights) is the ideology according to
      which men have
      intrinsic rights that are often denied them in
      contemporary Western
      culture -- indeed, according to this view, society
      does not usually
      recognize that men, as men, even have rights.
      Feminists in western
      countries have, over about 200 years (since Mary
      Wollstonecraft's 1792
      book: "A Vindication of the Rights of Woman"),
      established as a given the
      thesis that society is male-dominated and oppresses
      women. This debatable
      assumption is the meta-issue that Men's Rights
      activists raise, as a
      logical (but not necessarily practical) precondition
      to the raising of
      various specific issues.
      Men's Rights proponents consider that Feminists have
      argued for
      "equality" in respect of self-selected issues only, --
      using ad hoc (and
      seldom explicit) definitions of "equality" that they
      developed
      themselves, rather than (for example) calling a
      conference of all
      interested parties for the purpose of clarifying the
      issues. It is argued
      that Feminists have not sought gender equality on
      issues such as child
      custody, the decision to abort one's unborn child,
      compulsory military
      service, unsegregated professional sports, law
      enforcement relating to
      domestic violence, funding for men's and women's
      groups, Men's Studies vs
      Women's Studies, ministries of Men's Affairs to
      complement ministries of
      Women's Affairs, and health research funding, for
      example.

      Many Men's Rights activists also criticise Feminism
      for relying on a
      restricted view of political power, whereby a count of
      the relative
      numbers of men and women in important decision-making
      positions suffices
      to determine whether men or women are the more
      powerful. Men's Rights
      proponents point out that there are many other sorts
      of political power -
      e.g. control over the information and stereotypes that
      decision-makers
      rely on as the basis of their decisions. This
      information and these
      stereotypes, in the West, are largely under the
      control of Hollywood, the
      mass media, the education sector, and the
      bureaucracies - which are all
      strongly influenced by Feminist ideology, if not
      actually female-
      dominated.

      The term "Masculism" (aka "Masculinism" or "Virism")
      may be used
      interchangeably with "Men's Rights", but conservatives
      in the Men's
      Rights scene often reserve the term "Masculism" for
      the liberal branch of
      the Men's Rights movement (as epitomised by
      ex-Feminist author Warren
      Farrell). Liberal Masculists (such as Farrell or Rod
      van Mechelen) take
      the position that Feminist aspirations to gender
      equality should be taken
      at face value, and men made equal to women in those
      areas where women are
      over-privileged. Conservatives (such as Richard Doyle,
      and religious
      individuals and organisations such as the Promise
      Keepers) would prefer
      to return to a traditional division of labour between
      the sexes. From
      Down Under, Peter Zohrab's book "Sex, Lies &
      Feminism", proposes that
      Society either abolish female privilege or revert to a
      traditional
      division of labour between the sexes as a fall-back
      position. The
      American Union of Men's (AUM) Tom Smith, has published
      a three part
      Masculist Tract that he named the "Masculist Trinity".
      In it he combines
      both liberal and conservative men's issues and
      advocates the elimination
      of feminism by repealing all "sexual equality laws" ie
      the Civil Rights
      Act of '64 inclusion of women. He sees this approach
      as way to challenge
      the essence of feminist advocacy and privilege while
      leveling the playing
      field between men and women. Sex differences also are
      central to Smith's
      advocacy, both as a challenge to feminism's legal
      claim to equality and
      as a critical area of understanding for a cultures
      well being.

      The reaction of Feminists to the Men's Rights movement
      has not generally
      been to respond to Men's Rights at the ideological
      level. Rather, they
      have ignored this movement, and/or publicised new
      issues (e.g. eating
      disorders) where women might conceivably be shown to
      be disadvantaged,
      and/or tried to deny Men's Rights proponents access
      to/influence in the
      media, publishing, education systems, and
      bureaucracies.

      The best-known authors on masculist issues are perhaps
      Warren Farrell in
      the USA, Neil Lyndon and David Thomas in Great Britain
      and Matthias
      Matussek and Arne Hoffmann in Germany.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • i.black@angelfire.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        Rights like, the right to show their goddamn emotions or enjoyi pretty
        flowers, or take care of their children, without being taunted and
        screamed
        vile epithets at, and having their masculinity denied?

        > Masculism
        >
        > Masculism (Men's Rights) is the ideology according to
        > which men have
        > intrinsic rights that are often denied them in
        > contemporary Western
        > culture -- indeed, according to this view, society
        > does not usually
        > recognize that men, as men, even have rights.
      • holbeinyounger
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2001
          --- In aum@y..., QIMNews <QIMNews@y...> wrote:
          > After reading a few surprisingly good web encyclopedia
          > essays on Masculism, I stumbled
          > on the Wikipedia masculism page which struck me as by
          > far the best essay.
          > That was a month ago and they have revised it since
          > and have refined it
          > even better.
          >
          > Tom

          http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki.cgi?action=browse&diff=1&id=Masculism&diffr