Fw: Carey Roberts: "White House Council on Men and Boys: the right thing to do"

  • So Sad
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 7:49 AM
      May 1, 2009
      White House Council on Men and Boys: the right thing to do
      By Carey Roberts

      One of the greatest failings of the Great Society programs of the 1960s was the devastating blow they dealt to low-income African-American families. And it's no secret how all this happened.

      Thanks to President Johnson's signature legislation, newly-minted social welfare programs provided an array of services and benefits that were designed to help single moms. But these programs proved to afford powerful incentives for women to become pregnant, and then make sure the dad didn't hang around too long.

      The effects were devastating as they were dramatic. Within three decades the number of Black families with fathers and mothers at home plummeted from four-fifths to only 38%.

      Of course boys raised by mothers are more likely to suffer from a raft of behavioral problems, drop out of school, and get in trouble with the law. Rather than becoming in-laws, they turn into outlaws. And the well-intended Great Society effort ended up worsening the cycle of poverty that it was intended to relieve.

      Ironically, passage of the Welfare Reform Act in 1996 wreaked even more havoc with Black families. That's because the law ratcheted up child support enforcement. As a result, millions of low-income men with no prospect of meeting their child support obligations suddenly found themselves behind bars, now stigmatized as "dead-beats" and alienated further from their families..

      Last week a letter was sent to President Obama, urging him to establish a White House Council on Men and Boys. The plea came from Alpha Phi Alpha, a fraternity boasting a membership of 200,000 African-American men: http://apa1906.net/PressNewsDetails.php?newsID=90&newsCat=Press%20Release

      The APA letter highlights a report by the Schott Foundation for Public Education that found only 26% of black male students in New York City graduate from high school. Nationally, only 22% of Black men who enter college end up getting their degree.

      Life expectancy figures paint a similarly dismal picture: White females live to the ripe age of 81 years on average, while Black men die 11 years sooner.

      One would expect President Obama will rush to support the proposal. After all, fully 95% of Black men voted for him in last November's presidential election. And surely he empathized with the plight of all the listless boys and unemployed men he encountered as a community organizer on Chicago's South Side.

      First Lady Michelle should enthusiastically endorse the move, as well. As a child she adored her father, Fraser Robinson. Even after he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, Mr. Robinson continued to work — a fact that may have contributed to his premature death at 56 years of age. During one interview, Mrs. Obama movingly recounted how "he never missed a day of work, never talked about being sick."

      Surely both Barack and Michelle desire that their daughters will one day be courted by marriage-able men. If we're going to have a White House on Women and Girls, it's only fair that we extend the same courtesy to men and boys.

      And liberal feminists, often portrayed as a self-serving interest group, should support the measure as well to prove they really do care about equal opportunities for both men and women.

      "With liberty and justice for all" for African-American men and boys — that's the message of hope that conservatives and liberals alike should send to the White House: www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/opl

      © Carey Roberts

      "When they took the fourth amendment, I was silent because I don't deal drugs. When they took the sixth amendment, I kept quiet because I know I'm innocent. When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I don't own a gun. Now they've come for the first amendment, and I can't say anything at all." -Tim Freeman

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 10:10 AM
        <<< Last week a letter was sent to President Obama, urging him to establish a White House Council on Men and Boys. The plea came from Alpha Phi Alpha, a fraternity >>>

        It's utterly stupefying that before Mr Roberts could mention the request for a council on men, he had to first explain that something was wrong in the area of men and the governments regard for fathers .

        We have the entire Media, the entire Government and the entire Academy that are all so absolutely completely blinded to the significance of one entire half of the population. How can that be without some contrived intent? How could the entire nation be so ignorant of the situation of men unless there was a consorted effort to bring this about?

        This blindness, ignorance and apathy towards the situation of men has advanced in this nation in direct proportion to the advancement of Progressivism, quite a coincidence isn't it?

        You see it's not an issue if "The Patriarchy" is the enemy, because then men are the enemy and nothing about men matters at all. As a matter of fact, when something bad happens to that half of the population it is "good"!

        To a Progressive Government, Media and Academy any bad situation for men is seen as a type of "justice" finally meted out after countless generations of "horrendous oppression" that men were "responsible" for. Not the least of which was the "enslavement of women into the roles of housewives and mothers to keep them from fulfillment. Yes, for forcing such roles on women no punishment is too severe".

        This is the actual "reasoning" behind the current sentiment of the Government and Courts in the US today, the current Media and Academy.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 10:28 AM
          The problem here (like with the woman's day holiday that eventually allowed a "men's day") is that any White House Council on Men and Boys in Obama's administration will likely have included it's statement of purpose that it stands for the "equality of the sexes" (or something to that effect).

          "Yes men we will help you, as long as you first and foremost agree that you are the same as a woman".

          The only purpose of a White House Council on Men and Boys should be to eradicate that very myth in the first place, since it is that myth that is the ONLY cause for any need for a Council on Men and Boys in the first place.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1 11:06 AM

            --- On Fri, 5/1/09, Larry <mrmtnhiker@...> wrote:

            "We have the entire Media, the entire Government and the entire Academy that are all so absolutely completely blinded to the significance of one entire half of the population. How can that be without some contrived intent? How could the entire nation be so ignorant of the situation of men unless there was a consorted effort to bring this about?"

            That's the question of the century and the answer of which will go far to solve our problems  I believe the elite knows exactly what they are doing Larry.

            Tom

            From: Larry <mrmtnhiker@...>
            Subject: [AUM] Re: Fw: Carey Roberts: "White House Council on Men and Boys: the right thing to
            To: aum@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 10:10 AM

            ============ ========= ========= ========= =========
> [...]
            >
            > And liberal feminists, often portrayed as a self-serving interest group, should support the measure as well to prove they really do care about equal opportunities for both men and women.
            >
            > "With liberty and justice for all" for African-American men and boys â€" that's the message of hope that conservatives and liberals alike should send to the White House: www.whitehouse. gov/administrati on/eop/opl
            >
            > © Carey Roberts

            > ____________ _________ _________ __
            >
            > "When they took the fourth amendment, I was silent because I don't deal drugs. When they took the sixth amendment, I kept quiet because I know I'm innocent. When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I don't own a gun. Now they've come for the first amendment, and I can't say anything at all." -Tim Freeman

          • Richard Millerbernd
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2 4:20 PM
              Larry,

              The media and the government are not blinded.  The problem is that the lawyers make so much money on divorce that they want to keep their great income going. Or coming.
              You have to remember the lawyer run this country.  They also control the media by threats of law suits.  Lawyers control our whole system by means of "the courts".  40% of all legislatures are lawyers.  half of all presidents were lawyers.  The supreme court is all lawyers.
              Any questions?

              Richard

              Message 6 of 8 , May 2 5:50 PM
                Richard wrote to me:
                <<< The media and the government are not blinded.
                The problem is that the lawyers make so much money
                on divorce that they want to keep their great income
                going. Or coming. You have to remember the lawyer run
                this country. They also control the media by threats
                of law suits. Lawyers control our whole system by
                means of "the courts". >>>

                Richard,
                You mean the divorce industry is created, fueled and perpetuated by godless, narcissistic, money hungry lawyers that will sell their own mother for a buck? Richard, if that were true we would be reading things like:

                "Passage of VAWA was a major priority of the American Bar Association
                (ABA) for whose members it is a cash cow. More than 300 courts have
                implemented specialized docket processes to address VAWA-type cases,
                more than a million women have obtained protection orders from the
                courts, and more than 660 new state laws pertaining to domestic
                violence have been passed, all of which produce profitable work for
                lawyers."

                AND....

                "VAWA advocates assert that domestic violence is a crime, yet family
                courts often adjudicate domestic violence as a civil (not a criminal)
                matter. This enables courts to deny the accused all Bill of Rights and
                due process protections which are granted to the most heinous of
                criminals."

                AND...

                "VAWA provides funding for legal representation for accusers but not for defendants."

                Oh wait a second...WE ARE reading these things! Read on...

                [Article I posted the Anti-Feminist group in 2007:]
                --------------

                Time To Address Domestic Violence Abuses
                by Phyllis Schlafly
                May 17, 2006

                The reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was
                signed by President Bush in January without any public debate, but
                evidence is now surfacing which Congress should have examined before
                the law was passed. VAWA is a nearly-billion-dollar-a-year extension
                of one of the major ways that Bill Clinton bought the support of the
                radical feminists.

                Why Republicans passed this bill is a mystery. It's unlikely that the
                feminists who will spend all that money will ever vote Republican.

                Passage of VAWA was a major priority of the American Bar Association
                (ABA) for whose members it is a cash cow. More than 300 courts have
                implemented specialized docket processes to address VAWA-type cases,
                more than a million women have obtained protection orders from the
                courts, and more than 660 new state laws pertaining to domestic
                violence have been passed, all of which produce profitable work for
                lawyers.

                A recently issued ABA document called "Tool for Attorneys" provides
                lawyers with a list of suggestive questions to encourage their clients
                to make domestic-violence charges. Knowing that a woman can get a
                restraining order against the father of her children in an ex parte
                proceeding without any evidence, and that she will never be punished
                for lying, domestic-violence accusations have become a major tactic
                for securing sole child custody.

                Voluminous documentation to dispel the feminist myths that created and
                have perpetuated VAWA are spelled out in seven reports just issued by
                an organization called RADAR (Respecting Accuracy in Domestic Abuse
                Reporting), and in an 80-page report called "Family Violence in
                America" published by the American Coalition for Fathers & Children.

                For example, it is a shocker to discover that acts don't have to be
                violent to be punished under the definition of domestic violence.
                Name-calling, put-downs, shouting, negative looks or gestures,
                ignoring opinions, or constant criticizing can all be legally labeled
                domestic violence.

                The ABA report states flatly: "Domestic violence does not necessarily
                involve physical violence." The feminists' mantra is, "You don't have
                to be beaten to be abused."

                VAWA advocates assert that domestic violence is a crime, yet family
                courts often adjudicate domestic violence as a civil (not a criminal)
                matter. This enables courts to deny the accused all Bill of Rights and
                due process protections which are granted to the most heinous of
                criminals.

                Specifically, the accused is not innocent until proven guilty but is
                presumed guilty, and he doesn't have to be convicted "beyond a
                reasonable doubt." Due process rights, such as trial by jury and the
                right of free counsel to poor defendants, are regularly denied, and
                false accusations are not covered by perjury law. VAWA provides
                funding for legal representation for accusers but not for defendants.

                Those who are concerned about judicial activism, i.e., judges
                legislating from the bench, could observe judges doing this every day
                in domestic violence cases. Every time a judge issues a restraining
                order, the judge creates new crimes for which an individual can be
                arrested and jailed without trial for doing what no statute prohibits
                and what anyone else may lawfully do.

                This criminalizing of ordinary private behavior and incarceration
                without due process follows classic police-state practices. Evidence
                is irrelevant, hearsay is admissible, defendants have no right to
                confront their accusers, and forced confessions are a common feature.

                Some of these injustices result from overzealous law enforcement
                officials (sometimes running for office), and some from timid judges
                who grant restraining orders and deny due process to defendants for
                fear of being blamed for subsequent violence. Most of this, however,
                is the result of feminist activism and the taxpayers' money given them
                by Congress.

                The ease and the speed with which women can get restraining orders
                without fear of punishment for lying indicates that the dynamic
                driving domestic-violence accusations is child custody rather than
                violence. Restraining orders don't prevent violence, but they do have
                the immediate effect of separating fathers from their children and
                imprisoning fathers for acts that are perfectly legal if done by
                anyone else (such as attending a public event at which his child is
                performing).

                The restraining order issued against TV talk show host David
                Letterman, allegedly to protect a woman who claimed he was harassing
                her through his TV broadcasts, is a good example of how easy it is to
                get a court order based on false allegations...

                VAWA money is used by anti-male feminists to train judges, prosecutors
                and the police in the feminist myths that domestic violence is a
                contagious epidemic, and that men are naturally batterers and women
                are naturally victims. The feminists lobby state legislators to pass
                must-arrest and must-prosecute laws even when the police don't observe
                any crime and can't produce a witness to testify about an alleged crime.

                Assault and battery are crimes in every state and should be
                prosecuted. But persons so accused should be entitled to their
                constitutional rights. After all, is this America?

                http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2006/may06/06-05-17.html

                ======================================

                Message 7 of 8 , May 2 6:12 PM
                  Also Richard, if lawyers are so powerful and such a huge element of what is destroying this nation then we would also be reading things like this....

                  [Excerpt from another article I posted in the AF group in 2007:]
                  --------

                  HOW TO REFORM THE CORRUPT LEGAL SYSTEM

                  David R. Usher
                  February 12, 2006
                  NewsWithViews.com

                  If there is one thing that almost everyone agrees on, it is this:
                  courts are too often corrupt and inflict horrid injustices on
                  litigants before the bench.

                  Why does this happen?

                  The legal profession is a de-jure vertical trade monopoly. It is also
                  the only trade that entirely regulates and disciplines itself. Bar
                  Associations are, before anything else, trade organizations that push
                  policies and law that increase business opportunities for lawyers.
                  This is why liberal courts entertain many outrageous cases lacking
                  statutory or clear constitutional foundations, while strangely
                  dismissing others that do.

                  Bar associations go to great lengths to stifle internal discipline.
                  For example, attorneys are perhaps the only professionals not
                  protected by whistleblower laws. What nobody knows about never
                  happened.

                  Holding a law license does not guarantee one is a competent, honest
                  attorney. It means that person does what is dictated by the Bar. At
                  the top level, Rules of Court make it a disbar-able offense for an
                  attorney to publicly criticize another attorney or judge – or for
                  judges to criticize each other -- no matter how horrid the offense.
                  If there is one thing Bar Associations enforce with vigor – it is
                  their own anti-whistleblower rules.

                  Attorneys are not the only individuals bound and gagged. Perhaps
                  hundreds of thousands of legitimate complaints are filed with bar
                  association disciplinary Commissions each year. Few result in
                  anything more than a terse official letter from the Bar informing the
                  complainant that the issue is now a private matter that can not be
                  mentioned to anyone under punishment of some law that probably does
                  not even exist.

                  It is very rare to see an attorney or judge disciplined or disbarred.
                  In fact, about the only time this occurs is when an attorney does
                  something so momentous and so public that the Bar must take action
                  due to public pressure.

                  Attorneys must play the corruption game in order to become a judge.
                  After becoming a judge, the former attorney has to play ball to stay
                  in good standing with the Bar. He must cover for mal-practicing
                  attorneys while exerting great pressure on the "honest" attorneys to
                  keep the clients from "going public".

                  The breadth of control and resulting corruption in courts today make
                  the combined practices of Microsoft, Teapot Dome and Tammany Hall
                  pale in comparison -- spanning the federal class-action gold-mines in
                  Madison County, Illinois to divorce courts across the country.

                  In fact, it is reasonable to say that the Bar is the "fourth branch"
                  of government, controlling the other three according to its business
                  interests.

                  When viewed from this understanding, it is easy to see why the ACLU
                  litigates all sorts of things that go against the interests of its
                  supposed constituency. We see why VAWA continues to exist – not to
                  protect women – but to drive as many families into the divorce
                  machine as possible. Endless Congressional issues such as welfare,
                  health care, and retirement benefits never get resolved because the
                  Bar has enough clout to block legitimate congress people from moving
                  forward. This tremendous problem affects everyone. It must be ended
                  as soon as possible in all states.

                  There is a very simple and sensible way to break this cycle. It
                  starts with the legislative establishment of a "separation of
                  judiciary and law trade" doctrine, and state-level Commissions to
                  regulate and discipline attorneys:

                  1. State legislatures must assert the settled legislative authority
                  they hold over business trades to include oversight of attorneys.
                  Attorneys are not judges, and therefore are not exempted by
                  the "separation of powers" doctrine. At this level, attorneys are not
                  different from their counterparts in the fields of medicine,
                  insurance, and accounting.

                  2. State Legislatures should create an Attorney Oversight Commission,
                  perhaps operating under the department of public safety. The
                  Commission should be comprised of 13 retired non-attorney members,
                  two of which are alternate Commissioners, and two non-voting members
                  who retired attorneys. The two attorneys would serve in an advisory
                  capacity as to issues of law, and not have a vote in cases presented
                  to the Commission...

                  [Read the rest at:]
                  http://www.newswithviews.com/Usher/david12.htm

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2 6:46 PM
                    Richard wrote:
                    <<< The media and the government are not blinded. >>>

                    Whether someone does not see or will not see, whether he chooses ignorance, apathy or to wear blinders, whether he will not see for self serving reasons or fear of alienation, I don't think we can determine a generalization to account for all their blindnesses.

                    One thing is for sure though, when someone chooses public office, or a position to defend the rights of innocent people, they are taking responsibility on themselves to be aware of these types of evils and deceptions that are described in detail here. When their lives are dedicated full time to "public service" and such things are supposed to be their business, how can they be ignorant of such evil for years on end?

                    I can easily see how common people can be deceived, it is their business to work at their job, try and live a good life while often struggling just to keep their head above water. But how can lawyers, politicians and others holding these positions of "service", including people sworn to uphold the Constitution, be so ignorant of what they are doing to the rights of fathers and the family, thus society in general?

                    Larry