Re: Misandric Kleenex commercial

  • turin_turam
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2004
      Maybe he created a website all about what he was going to do about
      it, and then did nothing ...except to duck Men who approached him -
      thinking that he was serious.

      I had that experience, recently, with someone who was pretending to
      be interested in Men who had experienced DV. ...Dirty son-of-a-
      bitch left me hanging for about a week, and then slowly peeked out
      and started posting again, when he thought it had blown over.

      ...Just one more unretired media clown......

      --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "Advocate" <male6@t...> wrote:
      > And you did, what?
      >
      > www.familyofmen.com
      > Calgary, AB, CA
      > Where law ends, tyranny begins
      >
      > .

      when a
      > > > Kleenex commercial came on. It showed a young man walking
      along
      > > the
      > > > side of a dirt road after a storm had passed by. An attractive
      > > > young woman sped by in a sports car, which splashed him with
      muddy
      > > > water. She stopped, and he looked at her like she was a
      goddess.
      > > > Without a word she threw a box of Kleenex at his chest and sped
      > > off.
      > > >
      > > > I went to the website at http://www.kleenex.com to write the
      > > > following message (Note: I had to turn off my pop-up blocker to
      > > get
      > > > the site to work):
      > > >

      > > > Subject: Your TV commercial is demeaning to men
      > > >
      > > > Last night I was watching TV (a rare occurrence these days)
      when a
      > > > Kleenex commercial came on. It showed a young man walking
      along
      > > the
      > > > side of a dirt road after a storm had passed by. An attractive
      > > > young woman sped by in a sports car, which splashed him with
      muddy
      > > > water. She stopped, and he looked at her like she was a
      goddess.
      > > > Without a word she threw a box of Kleenex at his chest and sped
      > > off.
      > > >
      > > > Why is it necessary for companies to humiliate men like this in
      > > > order to sell products? Would you have run a commercial
      showing a
      > > > woman being treated like this?
      > > >
      > > > Please discontinue this offensive commercial (and any other
      forms
      > > of
      > > > advertising that are demeaning to men and boys). Otherwise, I
      > > will
      > > > simply purchase another brand of tissue in the future.
      > > >
      > > > Remember, men are consumers too. I'll be waiting for your
      > > response.
      > > >
      > > > Steve
      > >

      > > The Men's Tribune
      > > http://menstribune.com/
      > >
      > > Spinbusters
      > > http://www.geocities.com/remarksman/
      > >
      > > Posts to the list do not necessarily reflect AUM or list
      memebership's
      > beliefs.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      - - -

      The face of an angel, the charm of the devil ...the power of a god:

      Turin

      I have such sites to show you...

      "He who changeth, altereth, misconstrueth, argueth with, deleteth,
      or maketh a lie about these words or causeth them to not be known
      shall burn in hell forever and ever...."

      -----
    • leefree12002
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <mens_issues@a...> wrote:
        > Last night I was watching TV (a rare occurrence these days) when a
        > Kleenex commercial came on. It showed a young man walking along
        the
        > side of a dirt road after a storm had passed by. An attractive
        > young woman sped by in a sports car, which splashed him with muddy
        > water. She stopped, and he looked at her like she was a goddess.
        > Without a word she threw a box of Kleenex at his chest and sped off.
        >
        > I went to the website at http://www.kleenex.com to write the
        > following message (Note: I had to turn off my pop-up blocker to get
        > the site to work):
        >

        > Subject: Your TV commercial is demeaning to men
        >
        > Last night I was watching TV (a rare occurrence these days) when a
        > Kleenex commercial came on. It showed a young man walking along
        the
        > side of a dirt road after a storm had passed by. An attractive
        > young woman sped by in a sports car, which splashed him with muddy
        > water. She stopped, and he looked at her like she was a goddess.
        > Without a word she threw a box of Kleenex at his chest and sped off.
        >
        > Why is it necessary for companies to humiliate men like this in
        > order to sell products?

        ******************
        I think youd have been better saying "why do you feel its
        nescessary..............

        *******************

        Would you have run a commercial showing a
        > woman being treated like this?
        >
        > Please discontinue this offensive commercial (and any other forms
        of
        > advertising that are demeaning to men and boys). Otherwise, I will
        > simply purchase another brand of tissue in the future.
        >
        > Remember, men are consumers too. I'll be waiting for your response.
        >
        > Steve

        ******************

        Its a great idea but lacks bite. Women have all banded together and
        act as a group in femenist things. Imagine the uproar if a woman was
        treated like that. So to give it more bite, why dont we take a vote
        as men on this group. I for one will boycott kleenex along with
        steve. If a ignificant proportion of the active members also agree we
        can expand his letter into a group letter.

        What say you all?

        San.
      • masculistman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2004
          I'm all in favor of a Kleenex boycott also try the <a
          href="www.ncfm.org">ncfm</a> and <a href="www.glennsacks.com">Glenn
          Sacks</a> to support and get word about the boycott.

        • DLiving497@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
            In a message dated 8/1/2004 10:03:16 PM Central Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

            > Its a great idea but lacks bite. Women have all banded together and
            > act as a group in femenist things. Imagine the uproar if a woman
            was
            > treated like that. So to give it more bite, why dont we take a vote
            > as men on this group. I for one will boycott kleenex along with
            > steve. If a ignificant proportion of the active members also agree
            we
            > can expand his letter into a group letter.
            >
            > What say you all?
            >
            > San.
            I am all for it. They ( marketing dept.) need to get the message that they are being watched.
          • leefree12002
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
              --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, DLiving497@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 8/1/2004 10:03:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >
              > > Its a great idea but lacks bite. Women have all banded together
              and
              > > act as a group in femenist things. Imagine the uproar if a woman
              > was
              > > treated like that. So to give it more bite, why dont we take a
              vote
              > > as men on this group. I for one will boycott kleenex along with
              > > steve. If a ignificant proportion of the active members also
              agree
              > we
              > > can expand his letter into a group letter.
              > >
              > > What say you all?
              > >
              > > San.
              > I am all for it. They ( marketing dept.) need to get the message
              that they
              > are being watched.

              ***************

              Steve, what shall we do then. Most votes so far infact al are saying
              go for it.

              San.
            • leo buccellato
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
                leefree & all...

                boycotts are a good idea, the companies become more worried about the negative image than with any potential sales lost, so to be effective any boycott has to occur with a group, and press attention is the ultimate weapon...if all of the aum members agree, we can make a significant statement...

                anyway, i'm in for the boycott on kleenex, though i rarely buy this product!   LEO

                ***************

                Steve, what shall we do then. Most votes so far infact al are saying
                go for it.

                San.

                The Men's Tribune
                http://menstribune.com/

                Spinbusters
                http://www.geocities.com/remarksman/

                Posts to the list do not necessarily reflect AUM or list memebership's beliefs.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • leefree12002
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
                  --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, leo buccellato <fortcollinsleo@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > leefree & all...
                  >
                  > boycotts are a good idea, the companies become more worried about
                  the negative image than with any potential sales lost, so to be
                  effective any boycott has to occur with a group, and press attention
                  is the ultimate weapon...if all of the aum members agree, we can make
                  a significant statement...

                  > anyway, i'm in for the boycott on kleenex, though i rarely buy this
                  product! LEO

                  I was thinking that, men dont tend to but the stuff so they have less
                  to lose by offending us, wheras the shaving adverts try and flatter
                  us.

                  San.

                  Though lets do it anyway ok?

                  Hmm, im gonna do some research, many of what we think are different
                  companies are in fact the same company but split up in branding to
                  appeal to different markets.
                • leefree12002
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
                    --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "leefree12002" <leefree1@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, leo buccellato <fortcollinsleo@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > leefree & all...
                    > >
                    > > boycotts are a good idea, the companies become more worried about
                    > the negative image than with any potential sales lost, so to be
                    > effective any boycott has to occur with a group, and press
                    attention
                    > is the ultimate weapon...if all of the aum members agree, we can
                    make
                    > a significant statement...
                    > >
                    > > anyway, i'm in for the boycott on kleenex, though i rarely buy
                    this
                    > product! LEO
                    >
                    > I was thinking that, men dont tend to but the stuff so they have
                    less
                    > to lose by offending us, wheras the shaving adverts try and flatter
                    > us.
                    >
                    > San.
                    >
                    > Though lets do it anyway ok?
                    >
                    > Hmm, im gonna do some research, many of what we think are different
                    > companies are in fact the same company but split up in branding to
                    > appeal to different markets.

                    And instantly i come accross this.

                    KLEENEX(r) FACIAL TISSUES are one of the world's leading FACIAL
                    TISSUE manufacturers. ... KLEENEX(r) is a registered trademark of
                    Kimberly-Clark Corporation. ...

                    Lets see what else kimberly sells......
                  • leefree12002
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
                      --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "leefree12002" <leefree1@h...> wrote:
                      > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "leefree12002" <leefree1@h...> wrote:
                      > > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, leo buccellato <fortcollinsleo@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > leefree & all...
                      > > >
                      > > > boycotts are a good idea, the companies become more worried
                      about
                      > > the negative image than with any potential sales lost, so to be
                      > > effective any boycott has to occur with a group, and press
                      > attention
                      > > is the ultimate weapon...if all of the aum members agree, we can
                      > make
                      > > a significant statement...
                      > > >
                      > > > anyway, i'm in for the boycott on kleenex, though i rarely buy
                      > this
                      > > product! LEO
                      > >
                      > > I was thinking that, men dont tend to but the stuff so they have
                      > less
                      > > to lose by offending us, wheras the shaving adverts try and
                      flatter
                      > > us.
                      > >
                      > > San.
                      > >
                      > > Though lets do it anyway ok?
                      > >
                      > > Hmm, im gonna do some research, many of what we think are
                      different
                      > > companies are in fact the same company but split up in branding
                      > > appeal to different markets.
                      >

                      > And instantly i come accross this.
                      >
                      > KLEENEX(r) FACIAL TISSUES are one of the world's leading FACIAL
                      > TISSUE manufacturers. ... KLEENEX(r) is a registered trademark of
                      > Kimberly-Clark Corporation. ...
                      >
                      > Lets see what else kimberly sells......

                      Ok

                      Kleenex ...thank goodness for Kleenex. Learn which tissue product
                      is just right for your nose needs, plus lots of other helpful tips.

                      Scott Did you know that our Scott products have been used for
                      generations in the homes of smart shoppers?

                      Viva The Clothlike Towel strong enough for big messes, soft enough
                      for the little ones.

                      Cottonelle® Brands Looking out for your Family with the very best
                      in premium bath tissue and flushable moist wipe products.

                      Huggies Huggies Babies are Happy Babies. What more can be said?

                      Pull-Ups Where being a "big kid" means helping toddlers discover
                      the joy of what they can do for themselves with the world's first
                      disposable training pant.

                      GoodNites At goodnites.com kids and moms and dads can learn more
                      about bed-wetting and know they aren't alone.

                      Little Swimmers BIG FUN in the water with our award-winning
                      disposable swimpants.

                      Kotex kotex.com offers discussions on periods, pregnancy, PMS, pet
                      peeves and personal experiences-anything you want to talk about with
                      other women, teens or educators is here.

                      Depend FAQ's about incontinence..plus links to related resources,
                      support groups, suggested reading and more.

                      Poise Come learn how much good news there is for the millions of
                      people affected by incontinence. Live life with confidence.

                      The Neat Sheet The Neat Sheet ground cover. Discover The Neat
                      Sheet ground cover and its 101 uses. It's all new, water repellent
                      and machine washable. Find where to purchase today!

                      ***************

                      Alsp, they manufactue the andrex puppy toilet roll. As you can see
                      all their consumable division is aimed entirely at the female or
                      gender neutral (family) markets, so it seems they dont have much to
                      lose directly, however as we all know it is us men that pay for the
                      shopping indirectly at least, so we could stand up for our dignity
                      and save a packet by not buying these branded goods.

                      San.
                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2004
                        I was thinking that it may be enough if people write individually to
                        Kleenex. There is a place on their site where you can send them a
                        hot little note about how you feel about anti-male advertising.
                        Also, this has been posted on Mensactivism.org at
                        http://www.mensactivism.org

                        The exact thread is here:

                        http://www.mensactivism.org/article.pl?
                        sid=04/08/02/1950224&mode=threaded

                        It may not be necessary to organize a boycott YET, as I'd like to
                        give them a chance to respond, and perhaps discontinue their
                        commercial. I at least try to give ignorant advertisers a chance to
                        redeem themselves that way before putting them on my personal
                        boycott list. Some companies (e.g. Foley's and Jared) have actually
                        written to apologize, and have retracted their commercials. Others
                        (like J. C. Penney and Dairy Queen) haven't even responded, and just
                        carried on as usual. Those are the ones that should be singled out.

                        Also, don't forget to write to Expedia.com, as their commercial was
                        just as bad as the Kleenex one.

                        Steve

                        --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "leefree12002" <leefree1@h...> wrote:
                        > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, DLiving497@a... wrote:
                        > > In a message dated 8/1/2004 10:03:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                        > >
                        > > > Its a great idea but lacks bite. Women have all banded
                        together
                        > and
                        > > > act as a group in femenist things. Imagine the uproar if a
                        woman
                        > > was
                        > > > treated like that. So to give it more bite, why dont we take a
                        > vote
                        > > > as men on this group. I for one will boycott kleenex along
                        with
                        > > > steve. If a ignificant proportion of the active members also
                        > agree
                        > > we
                        > > > can expand his letter into a group letter.
                        > > >
                        > > > What say you all?
                        > > >
                        > > > San.
                        > > I am all for it. They ( marketing dept.) need to get the message
                        > that they
                        > > are being watched.
                        >
                        > ***************
                        >
                        > Steve, what shall we do then. Most votes so far infact al are
                        saying
                        > go for it.
                        >
                        > San.
                      • leo buccellato
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 3, 2004
                          steve...you have a point, it makes little sense to boycott without giving them a chance to change first, since that's really what we want...trust you will post their response when it comes...LEO

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 5, 2004
                            And here is their response ...

                            Dear Steven,

                            Thanks for your e-mail about KLEENEX® facial tissue.

                            We are sorry to learn of your feelings about our advertisement for
                            KLEENEX® facial tissue. We can understand your concern and will pass
                            your comments on to the people involved in our advertising programs.

                            Thanks again for visiting our web site.

                            Sheila
                            Consumer Services
                            Kimberly-Clark Corp.

                            007327685A

                            wrote:
                            > steve...you have a point, it makes little sense to boycott without
                            giving them a chance to change first, since that's really what we
                            want...trust you will post their response when it comes...LEO

                            > Steve <mens_issues@a...> wrote:I was thinking that it may be
                            enough if people write individually to
                            > Kleenex. There is a place on their site where you can send them a
                            > hot little note about how you feel about anti-male advertising.
                            > Also, this has been posted on Mensactivism.org at
                            > http://www.mensactivism.org
                            >
                            > The exact thread is here:
                            >
                            > http://www.mensactivism.org/article.pl?
                            > sid=04/08/02/1950224&mode=threaded
                            >
                            > It may not be necessary to organize a boycott YET, as I'd like to
                            > give them a chance to respond, and perhaps discontinue their
                            > commercial. I at least try to give ignorant advertisers a chance
                            > redeem themselves that way before putting them on my personal
                            > boycott list. Some companies (e.g. Foley's and Jared) have
                            actually
                            > written to apologize, and have retracted their commercials.
                            Others
                            > (like J. C. Penney and Dairy Queen) haven't even responded, and
                            just
                            > carried on as usual. Those are the ones that should be singled
                            out.

                            > Also, don't forget to write to Expedia.com, as their commercial
                            was
                            > just as bad as the Kleenex one.
                            >
                            > Steve
                            >
                            > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "leefree12002" <leefree1@h...> wrote:
                            > > --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, DLiving497@a... wrote:

                            > together
                            > > and
                            > woman
                            > > > was
                            > > vote
                            > with
                            > > agree
                            > > > we

                            > > > I am all for it. They ( marketing dept.) need to get the
                            message
                            > > that they
                            > > > are being watched.
                            > >
                            > > ***************
                            > >
                            > > Steve, what shall we do then. Most votes so far infact al are
                            > saying
                            > > go for it.
                            > >
                            > > San.
                            >

                            > The Men's Tribune
                            > http://menstribune.com/
                            >
                            > Spinbusters
                            > http://www.geocities.com/remarksman/
                            >
                            > Posts to the list do not necessarily reflect AUM or list
                            memebership's beliefs.

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            Service.

                          • leefree12002
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 5, 2004
                              --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <mens_issues@a...> wrote:
                              > And here is their response ...
                              >
                              > Dear Steven,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your e-mail about KLEENEX® facial tissue.
                              >
                              > We are sorry to learn of your feelings about our advertisement for
                              > KLEENEX® facial tissue. We can understand your concern and will
                              pass
                              > your comments on to the people involved in our advertising
                              programs.

                              > Thanks again for visiting our web site.
                              >
                              > Sheila
                              > Consumer Services
                              > Kimberly-Clark Corp.
                              >
                              > 007327685A

                              *************

                              That is a brush off.

                              San.
                            • leo buccellato
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 6, 2004
                                hey leefree....

                                ok, you got a response from them, the standard sort of reply...can't expect anything more than this for the initial objection...

                                you might wish to follow up with a more complete letter, addressed to their promotions/marketing dpt. asking if they received the initial objection and providing a more complete statement of grievance and more of they why's and wherefors...you can then ask for a direct response from the marketers, as to whether they are able to understand your position or on the other hand, cannot see things your way...

                                a response from the promotors would be valuable, and in fact a follow up letter to them will at least ensure that the appropriate people are getting your message...whether or not they change their outlook will depend on how many more of the same objections they receive in future...

                                don't give up...go for it, push the nail in all the way!!!   ciao...LEO

                                *************

                                That is a brush off.

                                San.

                                The Men's Tribune
                                http://menstribune.com/

                                Spinbusters
                                http://www.geocities.com/remarksman/

                                Posts to the list do not necessarily reflect AUM or list memebership's beliefs.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • leefree12002
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 7, 2004
                                  wrote:
                                  > hey leefree....
                                  >
                                  > ok, you got a response from them, the standard sort of
                                  reply...can't expect anything more than this for the initial
                                  objection...

                                  > you might wish to follow up with a more complete letter, addressed
                                  to their promotions/marketing dpt. asking if they received the
                                  initial objection and providing a more complete statement of
                                  grievance and more of they why's and wherefors...you can then ask for
                                  a direct response from the marketers, as to whether they are able to
                                  understand your position or on the other hand, cannot see things your
                                  way...

                                  > a response from the promotors would be valuable, and in fact a
                                  follow up letter to them will at least ensure that the appropriate
                                  people are getting your message...whether or not they change their
                                  outlook will depend on how many more of the same objections they
                                  receive in future...

                                  > don't give up...go for it, push the nail in all the way!!!
                                  ciao...LEO

                                  ***********

                                  Well, i didnt send the letter. They sent a response saying another
                                  perwson or group was responsible but not saying they will also send a
                                  response.

                                  First step now is for those responsible to send a letter. May as well
                                  be as easy to ask for the marketing depts e-mail and send them a copy
                                  of your letter.

                                  San.
                                • Spencer Mewha
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 9, 2004