Cops: Woman kills, gives birth

  • carl.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      1) Will she get to keep custody?  And would a man who did the same get to keep custody?
      2) Assuming Scott Peterson is guilty, which hasn't been proven yet, is she any better than scott peterson?
      3) Will the state file attempted murder charges on her for trying to kill her child, as she tried to commit suicide?  Would they try a man for attempted murder of the child if he tried to kill the pregnant mother in her 9th month of pregnancy?
      A law was just passed to assure this would be the case.  Why is  this law only applied to men?

      Cops: Woman kills, gives birth

      BY LINDSAY FABER AND BRIAN BOYD
      Staff Writers

      June 30, 2004, 8:30 PM EDT

      A nine-month pregnant Staten Island woman fatally stabbed her husband Wednesday, tried to kill herself and then remarkably gave birth to a healthy baby boy hours later, police said.

      The 29-year-old woman called police at 7 a.m. and said: "I just killed my husband."

      Police responded to her home at 1370 Bay St. and found her husband, Matthew Lee, 30, dead at the scene with several stab wounds in his chest. The woman cut her own wrist in multiple places but survived, according to police.

      Neighbors and merchants said the couple lived in a two-family home in Staten Island with one of their elderly mothers. The neighbors said the husband was a computer programmer and that the couple was expecting their first child.

      Neighbor Andy Chen said he was used to seeing the couple walk around the neighborhood holding hands.

      "I'm so surprised by this," Chen said. "It's unbelievable to me. It looks like they love each other."

      Police said they responded to the Lee's home once last year due to reports of a loud domestic argument. No one was arrested.

      "I've never seen fighting between him and his wife. He's a very quiet man," said local deli owner Wael Joudeh, 37. "He doesn't like to bother people."

      At 8 a.m. Wednesday, Lee's wife was transported to St. Vincent's Hospital in Staten Island, where she later gave birth. She was under heavy sedation much of Wednesday, and police had not yet gotten all the details of the incident due to her condition.

      As of Wednesday night, the woman, whose name police did not release, had not yet been charged.

      Copyright � 2004, Newsday, Inc. |  Article licensing and reprint options

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Do you Yahoo!?