[aum] THE AUM (American Union of Men) VISION

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 1998
      Hi folks,

      I've tossed this around in my head for almost 20 years now. In the 80's I spent a good deal of time researching gender differences and other areas connected to men's issues. I sorely missed having others of like mind to hash these things out with, but I have read some of the movement literature and have an idea of the dominant currents. I also have been an ardent political junkie. Please feel free to comment on the "vision".

      Any movement needs a unified vision with far reaching implications. It needs to be bold, popular and true. Men's issues divide into three categories: legal, financial and spiritual.

      I add the spiritual because a movement of men is different from any other social movement. If you recognize the power of men than you have to come to terms with God if that power is to be used for the good of our children. AUM is 100% with God and preferably Jesus, but what the heck, it is only a political movement. Nonbelievers are encouraged to join and learn about God.

      Now that we have the basis of the organization, the other two components, the financial and legal are a piece of cake. They overlap so I'll just talk about the main issues. The two most important of these are custody and child support. Custody should be automatic joint custody with only exceptions with clear abuse and neglect or potential of it. The book "Surviving the Breakup" is the blueprint for that. We should support the elimination of child support. The government has been too active in rescuing women from their mistakes and irresponsibility. When people protest that this endangers the children, one could respond that so did the divorce that 75% of american women initiate, and as to the safety and security of our children, one can respond that the government has criminal divisions to protect our children (Child Protective Services)and welfare to feed and house them. You can expect some compromise on these things if we ever did add power to the "vision".

      Next is Criminal Justice. We have to champion the victims of our gender. We have gone through the past 20 years one of the most extreme periods of conservative approaches to this problem in all of American history. It's time for a liberal swing back. This can be done better than liberal approaches in the past. It's been 20 years and the social sciences have made a great deal of progress. Penalties need to be reduced and incaceration needs continued improvements. We need to make bridges to the prison population.

      Next is the elimination of as many legal preferences for women that is reasonable. Affirmative aciton and special legal protections need to be eliminated. Government funding that is women oriented should be resisted. Whereas government funding for men should be brought up to a par with women. I call this leveraging the money interests.

      The last issue is social and for me years ago it was the stickiest to deal with. That is the the misunderstanding on the roles of men and women that the feminist movement exacerbated. Now I see that it is part of the "spiritual" aspect of all this and the solution is actually occurring now. Laura Schlesinger has pointed the way. The backlash against political correctness has also solved part of this problem. Now all of us and expecially the social scientists can honestly seek the truth without being shouted down, or in the case of the scientists, not endanger your job. So all this social aspect that caused me so much thinking energy is now taking care of itself, thank God.

      Those are the main issues. There was one extraneous idea that I had for AUM. I used to fanticize about a kind of social club that would be a mixture of the YMCA and the Masonic lodge that had a women's auxiliary. It's just a dream.

      Well that's all I can remember now. Let me know if I left anything out and any other comments you have.

      Tom Smith

    • Tom H. Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 1998
        Hi Mike,

        On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 18:09:51 children1st wrote:

        >So rather than turn this into a religious forum, lets >keep
        >it focused on the judicial and legislative violations >of basic civil and
        >human rights that need to be corrected. I thinl this >will be more
        >effective.

        People get so prickly about G-d when they should embrace anyone who considers Him. I maintain that if the "focus" is on those things you listed above, then it is on G-d. No argument here.

        Tom