UN calls for elimination of violence against women

  • Robert Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      UN officials call for elimination of violence against women

      24 November  2003

      United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today called for "a bold transformation in men's attitudes and behaviour" so that women become their equal partners and gender-based violence, which has become more complex in the 21st century, can be eliminated.

      "I call on all sectors of society to redouble their efforts to achieve the objective of ending all forms of violence against women," he said in a message to mark the fourth International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on 25 November. "This will require leadership at every level, in every culture, country and continent."

      The age-old scourge of violence against women was taking on new dimensions in the 21st century and carrying the added risk of forcing women to contract HIV/AIDS, Mr. Annan said.

      "One of the most alarming is trafficking in women and girls - one of the fastest growing types of organized crime in the world," he said.

      More than 700,000 people were trafficked each year for sexual exploitation, he said, many of whom were subjected to violence and all of them to human rights abuses. In addition, rape and other sexual violence were being used as weapons of war against women and girls.

      The protocol to the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime, aimed at eliminating human trafficking, would enter into force next month with 57 countries as signatories, while the number of signatories to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women had grown to 174, he noted

      Acting High Commissioner on Human Rights Bertrand Ramcharan said this time also marked the 10th anniversary of the acknowledgement by the Vienna human rights conference that "women's rights are human rights," as well as the 1993 Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women.

      "This triple anniversary provides an opportunity to assess the progress achieved in the advancement of women's rights and the actions still required to meet the challenges ahead," he said.

      In his message, General Assembly president Julian Hunte of St. Lucia said: "Women have the right to live their lives free from violence in all its forms. It is incumbent upon all of us to create an environment where this objective can be achieved. "

      One-third of the female population around the world had experienced or would experience violence, the Executive Director of the UN Women's Fund, Noeleen Heyzer, told a news conference at UN Headquarters.

      "Violence against women has become as much a pandemic as HIV/AIDS, or malaria. But it is still generally downplayed by the public at large and by policy-makers who fail to create and fund programmes to eradicate it," she said, as she launched a book called Not a Minute More, Ending Violence against Women.

      Despite the hard work by women's institutions to have women's rights recognized, "why does gender-based violence continue, seemingly unabated?" she said.

      "As long as women in diverse countries do not have access to property and employment and equal wages, to the seats of power and to education, the violence that is perpetuated in their lives is viewed as a private rather than a public issue," Ms. Heyzer said.

      The UN Population Fund (UNFPA) launched a short web film called Women, War, Health in nine languages, highlighting the urgent need to protect the health of women in war and as refugees.

      UNFPA Executive Director Thoraya Ahmed Obaid called for zero tolerance of gender-based violence and encouraged people to ask themselves such questions as: "How many more rapes, wife beatings and killings in the name of honour must women endure?"

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        <<< United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today called for "a
        bold transformation in men's attitudes and behaviour" so that women
        become their equal partners and gender-based violence, which has
        become more complex in the 21st century, can be eliminated.

        "I call on all sectors of society to redouble their efforts to achieve
        the objective of ending all forms of violence against women," he said
        in a message to mark the fourth International Day for the Elimination
        of Violence against Women on 25 November. "This will require
        leadership at every level, in every culture,
        country and continent." >>>

        Yes, certainly the past 30 years of emasculation and feminization of
        men still has not made women as men yet, so this must be continued
        more, and MORE, AND MORE! The UN has been helping this "cause"
        greatly around the world for years, and it no doubt is committing to
        continue their anti-male feminist PC propaganda well into the future.

        Certainly the best groups for accomplishing such things are
        anti-male lesbian groups such as the National Organization for Women.
        More funding for NOW's legal department, whether from the private or
        Corporate sector, or from government funds, will certainly curtail
        this scourge of testosterone that runs so unchecked in the US and the
        world (most evident in cultures that maintain patriarchal structures
        and biblical values).

        Many ideas and solutions so far have come from NOW and have had a
        great effect on US policy and law, and have even spread through the
        world, as seen in Secretary-General Kofi Annan comments which reflects
        NOW ideology to a tee as he spreads PC feminist lies and ways of
        thinking that demonize men. So if we can just continue in this
        direction certainly we can help the female victim, that being females
        who are not reckoned as males, girls who are not educated early on to
        be independent of evil males (evil males are males who have not been
        feminized).

        With such women as those in NOW choosing the course of the world in
        the area of gender, who knows what wonderful solutions may already be
        on the horizon? Such as chemical castration perhaps?

        Mandatory pumping males full of women's hormones is already started
        to a ("unfortunately" limited) degree. If the ritalin given to the
        boys in school doesn't mellow them out enough, how about chemical
        castration? As it becomes more and more accepted, and as the college
        professors ridicule those that oppose such things as Neanderthals,
        eventually the world may be ready for it to be done on a large scale?
        Whaddaya think?

        Just think, no more testosterone, so no more male aggression, no
        more patriarchy, and as men become more like women and the women rise
        to their "just" and "right" place, then "peace" may finally come to
        the world! And Kofi Annan and the UN leads the way! Oh happy day! :(

        The UN hasn't stopped bride burning in India or female genital
        mutilation in Africa, but they have, and continue to, educated many
        third world girls to be independent of men and teach them how to use
        the legal system to undermine patriarchy in all forms, as they spread
        feminism to the farthest corners of the earth. Such is the main
        purpose and accomplishment of the UN, the political involvements pale
        when compared to what they do for feminism.

        The taking over of UNICEF for the feminist "cause" is sickening
        beyond words and I think that is a crime on scale with the worst of
        war crimes. Like nothing else it shows the horrendous cold and
        godless heart feminism.

        Larry

      • Lionel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
          Well said Larry,

          If they can promote gay and lesbian same sex families to be NORMAL
          and drive heterosexual MEN AND WOMEN to suicide (or conform to
          homosexuality) then the IVF and cloning technologies will come to
          the fore and then the governments can dictate WHO can have a child
          because there will be no more NATURAL conception or child birth.

          Am I being OVERLY paranoid here ?? or is this the beginning of the
          end of life as we know it ??

          Best wishes,

          Lionel Richards help@...
          OzyDads Network www.OzyDads.net

          Affiliate member of:-
          Council for the Status of Fathers www.FatherStatus.org
          Shared Parenting Council of Australia www.spca.org.au

          wrote:
> [...]
          rights
          recognized, "why does gender-based violence continue, seemingly
          unabated?" she said.
          > "As long as women in diverse countries do not have access to
          property and employment and equal wages, to the seats of power and to
          education, the violence that is perpetuated in their lives is viewed
          as a private rather than a public issue," Ms. Heyzer said.
          > The UN Population Fund (UNFPA) launched a short web film called
          Women, War, Health in nine languages, highlighting the urgent need to
          protect the health of women in war and as refugees.
          > UNFPA Executive Director Thoraya Ahmed Obaid called for zero
          tolerance of gender-based violence and encouraged people to ask
          themselves such questions as: "How many more rapes, wife beatings and
          killings in the name of honour must women endure?"

        • area214
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
            A tempest in a teapot if I ever saw one.

            First of all, go talk to your parents about
            when inter racial marriage became legal.
            Many were saying that the White Race was
            doomed to becoming all Black. It never happened.
            Although I believe now that Rap music has become
            the evil force for the fall of western culture.

            According to a recent NY Times editorial, gays (males)
            are not rushing out for civil licences. Maybe because of
            male promiscuity or the wish of remaining counter-culture.

            Now lesbians are the ones really pushing for the marriage
            thing since many of them come with children out of their
            divorce from their husbands. How these children turn out
            from a lesbian marriage, I don't know.

            Getting a licence from the government to have a baby is
            not new. There have been many groups in the past who
            have pushed for this since they believed that poverty from
            ignorance was fostered by the same group producing the
            children.

            wrote:
> [...]
            rights
            recognized, "why does gender-based violence continue, seemingly
            unabated?" she said.
            > "As long as women in diverse countries do not have access to
            property and employment and equal wages, to the seats of power and to
            education, the violence that is perpetuated in their lives is viewed
            as a private rather than a public issue," Ms. Heyzer said.
            > The UN Population Fund (UNFPA) launched a short web film called
            Women, War, Health in nine languages, highlighting the urgent need to
            protect the health of women in war and as refugees.
            > UNFPA Executive Director Thoraya Ahmed Obaid called for zero
            tolerance of gender-based violence and encouraged people to ask
            themselves such questions as: "How many more rapes, wife beatings and
            killings in the name of honour must women endure?"

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/DhHolB/TM

            THE MASCULIST TRINITY
            http://www.geocities.com/qim/masculisttrinity.htm

            Posts to the list do not necessarily reflect AUM or list memebership's beliefs.

          • Bob
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
              wrote:
              > UN officials call for elimination of violence against women

              Yep, the UN is very misandrist. They focus on the small number of
              women being hurt and ignore the much larger number of men being hurt.

              Fortunatly the US Senate has rejected their very sexist demand for
              an international accord on violence against women.

              Bob
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <MrMtnHiker@a...> wrote:
                > <<< United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today called for "a
                > bold transformation in men's attitudes and behaviour" so that women
                > become their equal partners and gender-based violence, which has
                > become more complex in the 21st century, can be eliminated.

                Women will become "equal partners" in violence when they start
                suffering some significant percentage of the global violence
                currently done agaisnt men.

                Kofi and the rest of the UN are a pack of misandrist liars.

                Bob
              • Bob
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                  --- In aum@yahoogroups.com, "area214" <area214@s...> wrote:
                  > A tempest in a teapot if I ever saw one.
                  >
                  > First of all, go talk to your parents about
                  > when inter racial marriage became legal.
                  > Many were saying that the White Race was
                  > doomed to becoming all Black. It never happened.
                  > Although I believe now that Rap music has become
                  > the evil force for the fall of western culture.
                  >
                  > According to a recent NY Times editorial, gays (males)
                  > are not rushing out for civil licences. Maybe because of
                  > male promiscuity or the wish of remaining counter-culture.

                  The NY Times is blatantly feminist/leftist crap.

                  Put a ton of salt on anything they print. It's all political lies.

                  Bob
                • masculistman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Boo hoo,the UN at it again. More misandry in the name of "equality".