Harvest/The Gathering - thoughts?

  • Ada Lam
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 12, 2011
      Hi

      Was just interested in hearing in the thoughts of others who went to The
      Gathering (aka Harvest) Festival in Melbourne yesterday?

      My (purely opinionated subjective) take was that Mogwai put in a stellar
      set, and the Flamings Lips have some really obnoxious fans.

      The queuing was beyond a joke - we were lucky that we got in early and
      so got food before the lines got too crazy. But the organisers clearly
      needed to have more portaloos around, and it took us about two hours to
      get out of the carpark. And for fans who wanted to see Flaming Lips, we
      couldn't rely on the set finishing in time to get public transport, so
      car was a must.

      Overall though, amazing line up and got to see a lot of great acts - for
      those going to Sydney or Brisbane, check out Kormac's Big Band, which
      was much better than the first up scheduling might lead you to believe.
      Werribee Park was a lovely venue (and at least it was possible to
      still watch/hear the performances from various food and drink queues)
      and the weather was just about perfect.

      Cheers
      Ada
    • Philip Jay
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 13, 2011
        Hey,

        I thought it was a reasonable festival.  The line up was great.  The organisation wasn't quite there.

        I quite enjoyed Mogwai & Mercury Rev.
        Portishead were excellent - I wasn't expecting that - but they really were awesome.
        (Heard an interview on RRR after the festival, the interviewee said they have ruined live music for him... heh)

        Earlier in the day the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble put on a decent show, and it was good to hear some new ones from PVT.
        I thought it was a pity that The Flaming Lips had to end the festival with a shortened and rushed set.

        Then, as you've mentioned... the queuing!  Blah.   Including a 90 minute queue to leave the car park.  I would have normally tried to get public transport, but the organisers advised against it.  Anyone take the train/bus anyway?  I wondered what the queues would have been like over at the buses.

        And beer ran out multiple times during the day.  shesh.

        - Phil

        On 13 November 2011 17:54, Ada Lam <alam13@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional