Nick Cave in Overland

  • Aurora
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2010
      Overland is a Melbourne based progressive magazine. I was introduced
      to it recently and read a great article by one Maxine Clarke about the
      beauty products and establishments black women use to make them feel
      more desirable in a white society. Having said that, it does strike me
      as the kind of magazine that left-wing middle class people, esp.
      middle class whites, read to mollify the uncomfortable fact that on
      the whole they engage with the capitalist system (and all its sexist
      and racist trappings) to a similar degree as their conservative
      brethren. Perhaps this sentiment is more relevant in America, but I
      notice a lot of similar phenomena here.

      But for those of you who are into feminist/Marxist literary criticism
      of popular music, or just a good ol' shut down, the current issue has
      an article on Nick Cave. Anwyn Crawford isn't what you'd call a
      stan... Augie March gets a mention. Literate gets put in quotation
      marks when describing them..hmmm.

      I really like the portions of Cave's back catalogue that I'm familiar
      with, but then I also like to question everything, especially if it's
      fed to me by mass media, even (especially?) left-wing mass media (I do
      myself to the left of things).

      http://web.overland.org.au/?page_id=1925

      "Peter Conrad – who shares Cave’s childish notion that big words and
      ponderous syntax are signs of intellect – compares Cave in his Monthly
      essay to Christ, to Coleridge, to Baudelaire … but we’ve heard all
      this before, not least from Cave himself, who has never wanted for
      self-aggrandisement...In this at least he has succeeded very well: it
      is hard to overestimate Cave’s continued influence on contemporary
      Australian music, from ‘literate’ bands such as Augie March to any
      number of young post-punk revivalists looking to borrow a little bit
      of his old Berlin glamour."

      Aurora

      --
      precor, lacrimas et adora uulnera laudes perpetuas paritura tibi