Why?

  • miffed@y7mail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
      This question probably isn't worthy of a reply however I can't stop wondering why Saturday night ended with One Crowded Hour?

      Having been an avid Augie supported since near the beginning perhaps I am being a little precious but I can't help feel a bitter taste left in my mouth after more than a decade of hardcore following to be left with that song.

      I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why this song was plonked at the end but for the life of me I can't work it out..... It's really bugging me and I would dearly love to know.

      Surely I am not alone on this one?

      (sorry if this message has gone through more than once, yahoo is not happy atm)
    • J. B.
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
        your definitely not alone.

        To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
          Not sure I'd say bitter taste but it was a bit of an anticlimax.

          J. B. wrote:

          > your definitely not alone.

          > To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
          > From: miffed@...
          > Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:41:53 +0000
          > Subject: [augiemarch] Why?
          >

          > This question probably isn't worthy of a reply however I can't stop
          > wondering why Saturday night ended with One Crowded Hour?
          >
          > Having been an avid Augie supported since near the beginning perhaps I
          > am being a little precious but I can't help feel a bitter taste left
          > in my mouth after more than a decade of hardcore following to be left
          > with that song.
          >
          > I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why this song was plonked
          > at the end but for the life of me I can't work it out..... It's really
          > bugging me and I would dearly love to know.
          >
          > Surely I am not alone on this one?
          >
          > (sorry if this message has gone through more than once, yahoo is not
          > happy atm)

          > See all the ways you can stay connected to friends and family
          > <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx>

        • mr_dan_riley
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
            maybe for the majority of the audience it *was* the climax of the evening? dunno if it's something to lose sleep over. still an amazing song it's just that all the other knackers like it too.

          • matthigh@mira.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
              I can tell you the band, before the show, had prepared for the possibility to keep playing after OCH, but the show had already gone over the venue's curfew so that kinda scuppered that.
              Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
                Maybe that explains why they were so keen to kick us out - we were
                chatting post-gig and kept getting moved on. At one point I was out on
                the kerb and still getting told to move away from the building!

                On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 22:16 +0000, matthigh@... wrote:
                > I can tell you the band, before the show, had prepared for the
                > possibility to keep playing after OCH, but the show had already gone over
                > the venue's curfew so that kinda scuppered that.
                > Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

              • brokenspringbird
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Yeah, move on to King St. and get stabbed, fussy bastards. What do you expect from a theatre?

                  As for OCH I put it last so we could play a bunch of other stuff and not have people leave before the end. Pretty simple. Plus, who cares? We played something like 25 songs, it was a fun night, thanks to all of you who came or wanted to come to any of the shows over the last two months. We appreciate it, and as has been pointed out, we're tired. I still can't talk and I feel like I've been sleeping with an anvil on my head. I'm glad it's over. Now for something new.

                  All the best, G

                  --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, alam13@... wrote:

                  > Maybe that explains why they were so keen to kick us out - we were
                  > chatting post-gig and kept getting moved on. At one point I was out on
                  > the kerb and still getting told to move away from the building!
                  >
                  > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 22:16 +0000, matthigh@... wrote:
                  > > I can tell you the band, before the show, had prepared for the
                  > > possibility to keep playing after OCH, but the show had already gone over
                  > > the venue's curfew so that kinda scuppered that.
                  > > Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

                • soleyabs2000
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                    That could have been my fault. I may or may not have suggested to the security staff that you guys were actually a confused, militant anti-zionist group who mistook the band for the titular Saul Bellows character.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                      fair call Glenn. I'm sure you put in 110%. I'm going to try to be equally diplomatic as well as defensive.

                      22 songs, most of them quality. it was a disappointing encore to anyone following the band pre-Moo. and now to be defensive; AM have been tired and in need of a rest since Waltz came out. that's the usual spiel. it's so hard playing in a band for a living. it would have made a nice change to see some energy. Something new indeed. Maybe a band without a precious singer.

                      Gotcha. ;)

                      Seriously, sorry for the whinging Glenn. it's a luxury we enjoy.

                      To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                      From: augiehot@...
                      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 05:27:06 +0000

                      Yeah, move on to King St. and get stabbed, fussy bastards. What do you expect from a theatre?

                      As for OCH I put it last so we could play a bunch of other stuff and not have people leave before the end. Pretty simple. Plus, who cares? We played something like 25 songs, it was a fun night, thanks to all of you who came or wanted to come to any of the shows over the last two months. We appreciate it, and as has been pointed out, we're tired. I still can't talk and I feel like I've been sleeping with an anvil on my head. I'm glad it's over. Now for something new.

                      All the best, G

                      --- In augiemarch@yahoogro ups.com, alam13@... wrote:

                      > Maybe that explains why they were so keen to kick us out - we were
                      > chatting post-gig and kept getting moved on. At one point I was out on
                      > the kerb and still getting told to move away from the building!
                      >
                      > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 22:16 +0000, matthigh@... wrote:
                      > > I can tell you the band, before the show, had prepared for the
                      > > possibility to keep playing after OCH, but the show had already gone over
                      > > the venue's curfew so that kinda scuppered that.
                      > > Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

                    • Matt High
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009

                        Uh oh!

                        From: augiehot@...
                        Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 05:27:06 +0000

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                          Yes, I'm a fussy bastard - in the finest tradition of AM and GAR. Plus
                          I advised Jami that it was okay to walk back to her abode so maybe I'm
                          not so bright either (please let me know you're okay Jami?).

                          Thanks to all of you who were involved in putting together the tour - I
                          didn't see the other gigs but had a great time on Saturday. It wasn't
                          until Owen's Lament that it really came home to me that I wouldn't be
                          getting to hear these songs live for the foreseeable future.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                            as the person wholly or largely responsible for 'sunset studies' and 'strange bird', i think you've earned the right not to have to justify anything to anyone.

                            whether or not the augie's fire up for another round, that'll be their legacy for me. not the last song at a gig at the forum.

                            > As for OCH I put it last so we could play a bunch of other stuff and not have people leave before the end. Pretty simple. Plus, who cares? We played something like 25 songs, it was a fun night, thanks to all of you who came or wanted to come to any of the shows over the last two months. We appreciate it, and as has been pointed out, we're tired. I still can't talk and I feel like I've been sleeping with an anvil on my head. I'm glad it's over. Now for something new.
                            >
                            > All the best, G
                          • mr_dan_riley
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                              i'd have told you to get a haircut too.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                i reckon "why didn't saturday night end with a cover of motorhead's 'ace of spades'" is a more pertinent question.

                              • jami.nettles@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                  Yes, thank you Ada, I made it home and just touched down in LA so I am almost home for real. (If I can survive this. God I hate this airport.)

                                  I loved the 2 shows I saw and seeing/meeting all of you. I have been overwhelmed with hospitality and kindness from fellow fans and hope you all will drop by if you're in the states. I will cook black-eyed peas and cornbread and entertain you by saying oregano and renaissance and aluminum and all y'all.
                                • Josh Baze
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                    Every best wish, Glenn, for your future endeavors... I'm thrilled we'll have an opportunity to see what lies ahead. I'm sure that whatever form they take, leaving behind the expectations of certain people and entities will be freeing beyond belief. Wish I could have seen one of these last few shows--they sound incredible, and I'm sure they were...Onwards and upwards.Josh
                                    --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@...> wrote: > > > fair call Glenn. I'm sure you put in 110%. I'm going to try to be equally diplomatic as well as defensive. > > 22 songs, most of them quality. it was a disappointing encore to anyone following the band pre-Moo. and now to be defensive; AM have been tired and in need of a rest since Waltz came out. that's the usual spiel. it's so hard playing in a band for a living. it would have made a nice change to see some energy. Something new indeed. Maybe a band without a precious singer. > > Gotcha. ;) > > Seriously, sorry for the whinging Glenn. it's a luxury we enjoy. > > > To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com > From: augiehot@... > Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 05:27:06 +0000 > Subject: [augiemarch] Re: Why? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yeah, move on to King St. and get stabbed, fussy bastards. What do you expect from a theatre? > > > > As for OCH I put it last so we could play a bunch of other stuff and not have people leave before the end. Pretty simple. Plus, who cares? We played something like 25 songs, it was a fun night, thanks to all of you who came or wanted to come to any of the shows over the last two months. We appreciate it, and as has been pointed out, we're tired. I still can't talk and I feel like I've been sleeping with an anvil on my head. I'm glad it's over. Now for something new. > > > > All the best, G > > > > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, alam13@ wrote: > > > > > > Maybe that explains why they were so keen to kick us out - we were > > > chatting post-gig and kept getting moved on. At one point I was out on > > > the kerb and still getting told to move away from the building! > > > > > > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 22:16 +0000, matthigh@ wrote: > > > > I can tell you the band, before the show, had prepared for the > > > > possibility to keep playing after OCH, but the show had already gone over > > > > the venue's curfew so that kinda scuppered that. > > > > Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > > From: "mr_dan_riley" <rilovski@> > > > > > > > > Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 21:10:15 > > > > To: <augiemarch@yahoogroups.com> > > > > Subject: [augiemarch] Re: Why? > > > > > > > > > > > > maybe for the majority of the audience it *was* the climax of the > > > > evening? dunno if it's something to lose sleep over. still an amazing > > > > song it's just that all the other knackers like it too. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why this song was plonked at the end but for the life of me I can't work it out..... It's really bugging me and I would dearly love to know. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos. > http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photo-gallery-edit.aspx >

                                  • soleyabs2000
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                      Sweet. I'm going to take you up on this offer just to see Fergie and Will.i.am dead and in a pot somewhere.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                        Yeah, being a vegetarian doesn't rule out a little cannibalism when it is for the public good.

                                        Sweet. I'm going to take you up on this offer just to see Fergie and Will.i.am dead and in a pot somewhere.

                                        --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, <jami.nettles@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes, thank you Ada, I made it home and just touched down in LA so I am almost home for real. (If I can survive this. God I hate this airport.)
                                        >
                                        > I loved the 2 shows I saw and seeing/meeting all of you. I have been overwhelmed with hospitality and kindness from fellow fans and hope you all will drop by if you're in the states. I will cook black-eyed peas and cornbread and entertain you by saying oregano and renaissance and aluminum and all y'all.

                                        Messages in this topic (17) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                                        Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls --- message truncated ---
                                      • Aurora
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                          ::weeps::

                                          Why is it so hard to find cornmeal down here?

                                          --
                                          precor, lacrimas et adora uulnera laudes perpetuas paritura tibi
                                        • jami.nettles@gmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 2, 2009
                                            I know, lack of corn products is the only reason I came home. I just couldn't live without cornbread, grits or tamales.

                                            (Actually my professional facade of respectability was crumbling and I needed to leave fast. I gave a very serious lecture at uni melbourne in creswick the morning after Ballarat gig and prof I was visiting gave my bio then told audience that I was really there to see Augie March shows. Ouch. )

                                            --
                                            precor, lacrimas et adora uulnera laudes perpetuas paritura tibi

                                            --- message truncated ---